BETA-KEY CONTEST WINNERS

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Misstake, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misstake Well-Known Member

First: I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone from all the different servers who not only participated, but created toons to vote.

Second: There were some who were worried about having a fair judging as some of the contestants were on Oasis server, and Oasis was also voting, more than a lot of the other servers, since it was the hosting server. I can GUARANTEE that it was fair. There were a lot of my friends who participated, and NO I did NOT vote, but who had other friends who voted and did not even mention the people on Oasis.So an extra special THANK YOU to all the players for not being biased by seeing your own friends/server-mates name, and judging by talent alone.

Third:
    How voting worked: I had people vote for their top 3, though there are 6 people who are winning. A 1st place vote earned 3 points, a 2nd place vote earned 2 points, and a 3rd place vote earned 1 point.

WINNERS:
    1st Place, Brennenguk, with 48 points. Who will receive 3 one-week beta keys.
    2nd Place, Shalaia, with 26 points. Who will receive 2 one-week beta keys.
    3rd Place, Minkis, with 25 points. Who will receive 1 one-week beta key.
    4th Place, Glenorian, with 23 points. Who will receive 1 one-week beta key.
    TIED for 5th Place, Ritsy, with 17 points. Who will receive 1 one-week beta key.
    TIED for 5th Place, Eryn, with 17 points. Who will receive 1 one-week beta key.

Thank you all for letting me host this and participating. It was thoroughly enjoyable and as soon as SoE give us our Beta Keys I will contact you and get them to you.

BETA IS SUPPOSED TO START THE 31ST OF MARCH OR BEFORE =D
  2. Eryn Well-Known Member

Congrats to everyone that won and thank you to those that voted for me.
  3. Vexie New Member

It was so much fun to do! Thanks so much for hosting! Congratulations to everyone, it was awesome! ;)
  4. jazmeena Member

Cross-server events like this make us a tighter community. Thanks Devil's Minions!
  5. Brennen New Member

Congrats to all the participants as well as the winners! Special thanks to everyone who voted for me :D
    It was alot of fun and if you ever want to chat with me I am generally on Brennen on the Guk server, you can send cross server tells by typing /tell guk.brennen
    I enjoy looking at houses as well so feel free to him me up if you want me to look at your house. If you want advice or tips be aware I will give you constructive criticism so just don't think I am attacking you or your work :D
  6. Glenorian Well-Known Member

I am totally surprised. There were so many fantastic ideas I honestly was not expecting to place. I was totally happy with the learning experience and thought it was all a lot of fun. Thanks again to everyone and Devil's Minion for putting in all the work! And thanks for all of the ideas - I definitely came away with something.
  7. Misstake Well-Known Member

And thank you Kamoj, for your support and help. I really appreciated it. And thank you Pywakett for you help in setting this up and making stuff for the contest.
  8. Iskatawna Active Member

I would like to THANK Devilkiss for all the hard work, time, effort, consideration, that she put into this.. I think she made it fun for all of us, and definitely created a challenge with the items she provided! :D.. Now.. MOST of you have been so considerate of everyone else, and absolutely great winners.. It is wonderful that you have acknowledged the others who were in here.. So proud of you.. I know my opinion of you really doesn't matter, but I do feel the need to voice that! Those of you who have been considerate, not only of DK and all the work she put into this..(and yes I know very well how much it is, I spent a lot of time talking to her, and know it wasn't always easy..That didn't deter her, and she pulled it off).. but also considerate of those who were your fellow contestants, should pat yourselves on the back .. for the winning.. and for the humanity.. You have given me a reason to believe there are still "nice" people left .. with manners, and a heart.. Then.. There are the ones who did nothing but complain about the way this was done.. not winning.. the way it was judged.. question DK's honesty.. etc.. It makes me very disappointed in them, (again I know you don't care what I think) Hmmm. Makes me want to cry.. and I mean that literally.. Do you have any idea what you are saying? or are you just spouting off "sour grapes" because you weren't in the top 6? I know that if she could have.. DK would have just given everyone who was in that contest a key.. This was a fair and honest way to judge.. I am also on Oasis.. I was also in that contest.. and I also did not win.. NOT crying.. I am so proud of those of you who used your design ingenuity to create what you did.. ALL of you.. And just out of curiosity.. why would you design any different depending on the judge? I didn't.. I designed what was in my head and heart.. it would not have mattered WHO was judging..

For me I just want to say I had a blast.. I would do it again, and I really hope that the flack you have gotten because of this contest won't keep you from doing this again! THANK YOU DK!
  9. Malleria Well-Known Member

A competition being judged on skill is something done within a very specific set of rules. This contest was completely open-ended. Literally, 'whatever you want'. How you came to the conclusion it would be judged on skill is beyond me. It was obviously going to be judged on creative talent and clever use of the items.
  10. Misstake Well-Known Member

The "SKILL" was using 100 items in a way that was just not the same or expected. The skill was opening up and doing something completely creative. Like using the squash for chair arms or faucets, the screens for shelves or chairs. That is the "SKILL" that EVERYONE used, because you had to. I pick some very random items to challenge everyone to think outside of the box.

If I said everyone had to hand-build a house, a ton of people would no have even bothered trying because they knew that have not been able to do it yet.

ERYN- Thank you so very much for entering. I am glad that you put yourself out there, and most of the votes you got were not from friends, but from people from other servers.
  11. Iskatawna Active Member

well Eryn, I say congratulations.. don't give up on all of us because of one person.. The rest of us are all very willing to help and also to be friends! I am glad that you decided to enter!

I agree 100% with Malleria! Skill is the ability to take the items and make SOMETHING with it, whether it be like BrennanGuk or like iskatoo.. or Eryn.. or Ritzy.. or Cosmi.. It is skill that helped you pick up that item and place it into what it became! I saw nothing BUT skill in those rooms! I found all of them to be amazing, and enjoyed seeing the diffrent types of skill from each and every one who entered..

The judging was done the fairest way it could be, allowing for even the ones with little or no experience to have a chance to place..

Really I think this is all way beyond asinine.. Why belittle someone or smear their name? What good is this doing? Do you care that you hurt someone's feelings? because honestly, I couldn't look myself in the mirror the next day knowing I had attacked someone the way you did... based on suppositions, and not fact! Shame!
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Wow...here I had told Misstake that after I had entered, I didn't think I should be eligible to win because I got invited to the Alpha testing and was already going to get a bunch of Beta Keys for myself, but she suggested to keep at it anyway just for the fun of it. I did, and I'm not sure if I placed at all, or was taken off the list above because I wasn't eligible any more, but it was fun anyway! Given the way it was set up, I couldn't use even Notepad to place stuff, since I couldn't be sure if something was "mine" or not to use or if I'd be messing up someone else's design, so I had to stick to the in-game tools and probably produced something really boring and obvious as a result, compared to the folks sharing the house with me (my toon was Karanasdottir, with "Erollisi Night at the Crypt"). But it was a good challenge, 100 items, no more, no less, and I like to think I got at least a little creative...and at least I was done in a hurry, without the ability to micro-tune each item's placement. ;->

Judging "skill" in something like this is really super subjective; a lot of it depends on the individual viewers' tastes, I think. Perhaps it can be measured objectively by how much you could tell what the original building was, or how many items no longer have the same purpose they started out with, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, IMHO, and there's no shame in using something the way it was intended. It certainly isn't worth killing the fun of a very unofficial contest like this. :-/

Uwk
    Eryn, ~Darkzypher~, Kasumi and 3 others like this.
  13. Glenorian Well-Known Member

Another note, sometimes something gets in the way of a design that we don't realize. I remember visiting Cosmi's when deciding on which ones to vote for and the first time I went in the room I did not realize there was an "upstairs" portion. When I came back in the second time I found the upstairs. It was hard to get at and easy to miss. Maybe some of the other visitors missed it. Who knows.

As for working without the editor, that was a challenge. I was in withdrawal by the end. But I think my skill in non-editor decorating increased!
    Misstake, Eryn, ~Darkzypher~ and 3 others like this.
  14. SOE-MOD-20 Member

If you'd like to be able to have discussions on these forums, you'll have to do so while being free from making personal attacks and being constructive.

I'm locking this thread.
    Iskatawna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.