Best Scout class for farming/Solo adventures :)?

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Bludstained, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Bludstained New Member

I'm New to EQ2, Have only played a Necromancer up to level 78, and I kind of want to try a scout on a more populated server. I'm still fairly new to the game, and would like to know a good, stable scout class I can use to solo farm/Play, and do good end game content with to get Platinum and grind content smoothly. I have mercenaries if it makes a difference, and thanks in advance for your input :)!
  2. Xaiveir Active Member

I'm biased, but ill say ranger.

Really, any scout class you can solo (Molo) with a merc. It really depends on exactly what you are looking for. Are you looking for just solo play for the most part, is your goal to eventually use this in groups or raiding? Brig would be a great choice if you plan on eventually raiding with him. Dirges are still very very desirable at higher levels.

If you main goal is to farm, Rangers/assasins make great solo/molo characters due to their DPS abilities.
  3. Bludstained New Member

Thanks for the response! I actually was hoping there may be a scout class that can do both, Molo as you would call it, and group/raid.

This toon I was hoping to be my foundation for future endeavors, so I need a decent well-rounded character. Or scout in this case.
  4. Xaiveir Active Member

Honestly its going to come down to what you enjoy with the toon.

Beastlord can do a little of everything and then some (i forgot them in my first post, because well i hate them. EQ1 bias).

Any scout class can Molo effectively. Any scout class can do group content, and raid content (some stronger than others based on what is popular during any given expansion).

It really boils down to what is fun for YOU! :)

If you want to be a DPS monster, choose Ranger/Assasin/Beastlord

If you want to many be support class choose dirge/troubs (i swear, there is a severe shortage of troubs)

If you want something in between those 2 pick swashy or brig.
    Karsa likes this.
  5. Regolas Well-Known Member

Any scout CAN solo/molo, but I personally think assassin and rangers are slightly more tricky to do it with.

Reason being is rangers take damage quite quickly (I assume assassins do too) when standing toe to toe, and assassins in particular have to be there to cause damage anyway (at least a ranger can run away and still cause good damage!). Both also have stealth and rear attacks that can't be used when the mob hates you.

I'm not saying don't go with these classes, just be aware as a ranger you'll want to run away mid fight because your HP is dropping so quick. Having never played an assassin I don't know what they do in that situation.

Any of the others have a few more tools for soloing toe to toe and surviving. Be it more stuns, stoneskins, heals, etc.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  6. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Rangers are a good class, but they are a bit dicey in a solo big fight. Get in over your head, and it gets really bad, really fast. Now give me a shadowknight to work with, toss in a healer, and life is just grand. I love my ranger, she's great, but if I'm out alone or with a merc, I do have to really weigh things out against health/hate gain/dps/number of mobs. We do get poisons that if they worked worth a darn would help a lot, but alas that day hasn't yet arrived. In short, be sure to weigh the weakness and strengths of the whole scout line up, as I'm sure ya shall.

If it were me, and I was only wanting to solo/molo? I'd think about going sk, zerker, warden... being hearty and having some heals for yourself can often beat having high dps.
  7. Glundar Active Member

Personally the beastlord is quite versatile here as you can switch from dps to healing/util stance. I find my dirge is quite good too but the beastlord takes it as if you are cruising through general mobs the heals are enough that you don't have to slow down much.

Well those are my opinions, now please hold the flames so that I can duck behind the SK.
  8. dingoPboy New Member

Same suggestions as above Swashy are pretty good compared to the brig for the higher level solo content, my beastlord in healer stance i can kill most the newer 95 content without any merc without any trouble unlike my ranger. trouby once he was geared was doing the same mobs with a healer better than my brig.

My brigand if i went and counted all his skills it would be really close to 38 flanking backstab buttons and like 4 frontal attacks with no ability to stun backstab you have no ability to solo backstab most all the mobs outside of groups or raids.
  9. teakbois New Member

Which is best (if any) for moloing old raid content?
  10. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

How old are we talking, and are you asking what type of scout, or whats the best one out of all classes to run old content?
  11. teakbois New Member

Best scout. Which would have the best ability to finish stuff like Prismatic/Peacock/Claymore at a reasonable level given massive AAs. I know tanks and melee healers are best suited for this sort of thing, but I dont want to tank or heal in a group when Im not doing questing.
  12. Lenolian Active Member

Any scout really, pre-90 you will basically one shot any yellow-con group content even as a bard. It will take 2 arrows for orange/low red. Only heroics mobs more than 10 level above you will actually poses a threat.
  13. Permafrost.Werena New Member

Rangers will do the most "one-shot"/spike damage from ranged, which is essential for high-speed farming. Assassins do a little more DPS, but generally have to be in melee range for it. Problem with them is that once the mob gets to you and starts whacking on you, you go down pretty quickly. Pally mercs are pretty badass with them, due to Amends and the heals they come with, though I usually roll with the Inquis merc on my ranger.

Brigand/Swashy are a bit more survivable. Beastlords even moreso thanks to heal 'stance' and primals.

Dirges and Troubs tend to be more group-oriented than solo, IMO.
  14. oldskool Active Member

I don't know if this has been changed or nerfed - but I believe at one time Swashy had a tank AA setup that made it an excellent solo scout class.

Hopefully a full-time Swashy can chime in here.
  15. Regn Member

I personally enjoyed Ranger the most. Brigand was slow at lower levels. Dirge was ok, but wish that I played in a group most of the time. If you stack agility, and focus on getting a good longbow, you can one-shot most mobs. I think the Dungeon Maker tokens can help you get a good fabled bow at level 20, 30, 40, etc, FYI.