Best merc for Swashbuckler?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Mystyrys, May 27, 2014.

1. Mystyrys Well-Known Member

Returning player, relearning the game. Never tried mercs before. I've been trying to find a guide that helps explain which mercenaries might go best with each class. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.
  2. Lucus Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb is for solo play non-healers to use healer mercs and healers to use tank mercs.

I'd recommend you get stamper (inquisitor) from freeport.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  3. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Stamper is awesome, as a tank that runs small groups I can vouch for the fact he's not shabby unless... He's having what I call one of his clueless moments.

Rez? Heal? Nah, instead I'll just sort of stare blankly at your bodies as they like up on the floor.

He's good, just, comically lackadaisical sometimes.
  4. Cisteros Active Member

not sure your level as you are returning. Stamper is probably the best basic merc to get. The Archon Construct you gain access to from Skyshrine as you to the Heroic questline there (level 90+) is a lot more attentive than Stamper in my experience. I have the Archon on my main and Stamper on a Troubador alt
  5. Mystyrys Well-Known Member

Hmm, I suppose I could sneak in there and grab him. I've never tried to get into an opposing faction city before. I have just reached level 33.

I had reckoned perhaps using a healer merc would be the best option, but I wondered at the variety of classes available and thought there might be some reasons one might choose something else? Perhaps based on playstyle, solo or small group, or just class or aesthetics preference. I know for sure in SWTOR, that there were some companions I much preferred over others. Sometimes for as little reason as I liked their conversations. :p

Thanks for the suggestion. Now all I have to do is go sneak and pickpocket my husband so I can buy $20 SC. :D
    Rhodris likes this.
  6. Lucus Well-Known Member

well outside of freeport is a sewer entrance to the thieves way take the east grate exit (its in the room you start in).

From the east exit jump over the east wall and run to the dockside tavern he's in the corner near the ogre that gives the stein of moggok HQ.
  7. Mystyrys Well-Known Member

Ooo! Thanks for the directions! Excellent.
  8. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

This.
  9. Charlice Well-Known Member

I use Derpron for everything. He is born of dragons!!! :mad:
    I think he came with ToV? I can't remember now, but if you have him to claim, he's pretty good.
    Torvaldr likes this.
  10. Mystyrys Well-Known Member

Derpron? I don't see that name on this page --> http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Mercenaries

Would it be Daeron Ashenwing? I don't have ToV. Yet.

I may have had the game since launch day, but I only played the first year or so and made brief forays over the years since then. Till now, I've never managed to get a character up to level 30.

I was consumed with playing SWG, almost daily, for 8+ years. I was a master tailor, a merchant, a mayor, and later an active citizen of a #1 Rebel guild city for years and years. I've been bouncing around trying other games and none of them fill that same hole left by SWG. EQ2 almost does. I think I just need to try more things. See new places. Join a guild. Casual guild. I don't have the temperament for raiding.

So. I'm a total newbie and don't know the what, where, or how of a bazillion things.
  11. Kaedian66 Active Member

Yes. When you get ToV and him, you'll understand the name used above. I don't want to spoil the surprise.
    Charlice likes this.
  12. ZachSpastic Active Member

I use a healer merc with my fighters. For all others, either an SK or Paladin rules as mobs will ignore me completely as there is no chance I will pull aggro from the merc and the crusader mercs can heal themselves.
  13. Livejazz Well-Known Member

I use Bdorn Alehammer on both my Troubie & Swashy. Does the job, & no need for skulking around Fleaport.
  14. Mermut Well-Known Member

For lower levels, that's great.. once you start hitting 80+ tank mercs have a harder and harder time holding aggro. The only ones with any chance of holding aggro at 90+ (even from my healers) is the pally merc with amends.
  15. Deago Well-Known Member

There is a necklace that drops in ToV that gives double the merc taunt etc... Combined with vet mercs (tank mercs in general) makes it harder to pull aggro off them by far. Can be done still but you know what I mean :p

Off topic but what stat exactly do the vet mercs base hp on? Your stamina? Just curious.
  16. Music New Member

I also prefer the Pally/SK merc for leveling a swash as they allow you to practice your backstabbing and stunning routine.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  17. Jeeshman Member

You might like using the Veteran Pally merc. If you've had the game almost since release, you should be able to /claim the Veteran merc; she was part of the 10-year Veteran rewards. The Qeynos side Vet merc is Lady Liae Croae; she's a Pally and you can pick her up in the basement of the building containing the mercs near the Qeynos Docks. She does *insane* DPS (twice the DPS of Daeron at times) and also can rez. She has some heal ability as well, but not nearly as much as an actual healer merc. Like Music already pointed out, you'll be able to get in your backstabs and stuns that way.
  18. Mystyrys Well-Known Member

Hmm, I have had the game since launch, but I do not have the 10 year Vet rewards. I do not know why.

Being a casual, non-raiding type player, I don't get into the min/max, top gear kinds of things too much and I don't know details and percentages and best builds, etc. I know I am not very good at combat, but I have fun, and that's what I'm here for. :D

But at times, I get laser-focused onto a particular element of a game and become obsessed with knowing "all the things." I've only been back to playing EQ2 for a couple months and so this week, the focus is on mercenaries.
  19. Mystyrys Well-Known Member

Got 'im! Thanks for the help y'all! :D

[IMG]