Best Merc for a Wizard?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Merko, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Merko New Member

Hello, was looking for suggestions for mercs. I read the Inq is good, but I'm a good sided Wizard, is it possible to hire them? Is the Templar any good? Thanks!
  2. Entropy Well-Known Member

It's not terribly hard to sneak around guards to go buy the Inq. And yes, that is generally accepted as the best basic merc for any non-healer toon.
  3. zzmax929 Member

For leveling go Pally or SK. Pally can rez/heal so nice plus. Once you hit 90 use a healer merc as you will start outdamaging the merc.
  4. Mktavish01 Member

Its almost like ... why do they call it an MMO anymore.
  5. Entropy Well-Known Member

Skilled players in good gear have always been able to do things like solo or duo content intended for a full group. Mercs enable that for a wider audience, but it's not like it's a fundamental change in the way the MMO feels in general. There is PLENTY of opportunity to do group content as your one and only focus during playtime, if you desire.
  6. Venur Active Member

While leveling ? hell no.
  7. Redspine New Member

Good luck finding a group outside SS or ToV........
  8. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Templar Krivok as a merc is good too.
  9. Maledicere Member

If you are using the merc to level quickly and are badly geared, use the pally or sk merc. Either one you choose you will need to watch your aggro, one is slower and safer, the other is faster but if you die you have to revive. If you are decently geared, then put your AA in defensive stuff and grab the inquisitor -- be a battlemage. ;)
  10. Entropy Well-Known Member

I thought the comment that I was replying to was referencing max level content. If you're interpreting it as "lack of massively multiplayer content below max level", then yes, I absolutely agree that there is almost none... AS IT SHOULD BE FOR A 10 YEAR OLD GAME. Jesus, how can you people possibly expect the lower levels to be massively populated in a mature MMO? That is never, and will never, be the case.
  11. mouser Well-Known Member

Stamper's not too hard to get - the easiest way is if your guild hall can get you to a room there :)

Vittia's a PITA but worth the trouble IMHO. Get somebody to watch the guards and use a CoV to port you right there. Don't dawdle, just click and hire.

The werewolves are good if you got 'em - I prefer the pally, but that's just me. He heals and rezzes and tanks pretty well. Maybe I haven't gotten in deep enough trouble for the templar to shine yet.
  12. Jeorge Member

Some of that lack of low level content can probably be attributed to stat inflation as well. Get a level 90 character even and everything below melts way way fast. Mercs add to this factor... I've been wanting to find someone to level up with because of this, because I'm tired of the solo questlines.
  13. Entropy Well-Known Member

That's not the problem with "lack of low level content." There's PLENTY of actual content... it's just mostly solo (quests) or duo-able with basic decent gear and mercs. Even dungeons.

The problem that the poster above was referring to is that EQ2 is a mature game, with almost everyone at level cap. Thus, people playing alts or newbies playing their first toon have very few people to group with at lower levels. There is no way to fix this other than enticing people to chronomentor more often (and then yes, you will trivialize content due to scaling on top end gear.)
  14. mouser Well-Known Member

True dat!

There is so much low and mid level content you can do if you really want to. Take a toon and sneak back into the peat bog from the outside to do the 'original' starter quest line (was still there last I checked); forget the 'golden path' and visit all the zones. If you're gold, slide that AA slider way up so almost all your XP goes to AA and you won't outlevel zones before you're finished the content.

Having said all that, if you want to find groups for low and midlevel stuff, it's going to be harder (that's a big reason that they put mercs in to begin with, though not the only one). A lot depends on the time of day you play and the server you're on. You'll have a much easier time on Freeport and whatever the RP server is called than you will on the rest.
  15. Jeorge Member

What I meant was lack of people doing it, but whatever. The lower stuff is trivial, so people don't want to do it unless they're interested in the lore.
  16. Hermmit Active Member

The pally mercs will cast amends on you....well, they aren't always consistent with casting it. It may take a couple fights before he/she decides to cast it. But once you have amends, you can go nuts. I use the Krivix Honorclaw pally merc on my wizard. Don't usually worry too much about healing because most stuff dies pretty quick.
  17. Lubert New Member

I've tried several mercs, and have settled on the Mystic from New Halas. At level 90, and am very impressed with how the duo is performing.
    Plinc likes this.
  18. alQamar Active Member

I kept dying on my bruiser and asked myself why until i realized that the mystic doesn't heal at all. I picked up stamper and it was back to normal.
  19. Plinc Active Member

he does heal if you set him to passive.
    he also wards for a considerable amount.
    he is just really bad on the curing part.
    also, if you set him to assist you, he will Bolster.