Best healer to group with a Monk?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Ivory, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Ivory Member

I have this Monk that I'm leveling up with my son's Necro. A good friend that I used to play with on WoW has expressed interest in joining us. I was the MT in our raiding guild and he was my primary healer. I had several characters that I tanked with and my friend had several style healers.

So there's the back story. What healer do you think would pair up best with the Monk? I have been using a Warden Merc right now but my son's Necro now has enough life taps to no longer need all the group heals. That and I have have re-spec'ed to provide more AoE aggro control.
  2. Sini Member

My friend Nesh and I have run almost every instance prior to velious as a duo, and that's a Monk & Mystic team. Even years later one of my favorite game experiences was the month or so that he and I spent every day running chrono missions until we had all the trophies. :p And we did all of that back in the day when having a single piece of legendary gear was awesome and you collected the very best treasured gear you could find. hahaha!

So while I have first hand experience with that combination, I would say that in general any of the three melee healers (Mystic, Inquisitor, or Warden) would be a fine combination.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

The best healer in a duo with a monk is a well played healer. All of them can do the job quite handily. Just find one that the healer player enjoys playing and you'll do great.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  4. mague Active Member

This is right basically. The monk has a tiny weakness. He mitigates with avoidance. At least last time i checked mine which has been a while. This might have changed a bit with AA/Prestige and itemization....

Best healer class to overcome this little weakness is a shaman (Mystic or Defiler) and his wards. The wards are also very handy for the rather squishy Necromancer. Both shamans buff health, STR and mitigation for the monk. Mystic or Defiler is a matter of taste. The Defiler might have the better debuffs to boost the Necromancers DPS.

This is only relevant if you go for the tougher content. But a group of real Monk real Necro and real Shaman with a bard and two dps mercs are able to do almost anything in this game. This includes older raids.
  5. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I have another take on this - BECAUSE a monk mitigates weakness, unless you spam wards what happens is :::warded..mitigating...warded..mitigating...ward runs out..casting new one...BAM - didn't mitigate...or BAM Necro soaked up the ward AND the monk didn't mitigate:::.

The Warden merc plays like a Warden that's afk getting pizza or who is also on Facebook the same time they are in an instance - so don't judge the class by the merc. If you had a real Warden, you'd find that's a pretty good healer for a Monk. I duo'd with a monk for a long time on a Warden - then we went to pvp and were a Bruiser/Warden combo. The way Heal over Time ticks is just perfect for that class - and Wardens, of course, have direct heals for the big damage spikes. (Any Warden that can't heal a damage spike isn't playing the class well). Warden's survivability is really good - and since CoE went live they now have some very decent buffs.

I do agree that a shaman is a nice healer to have in the group you are discussing, but wanted to throw my 2 cents in about a Warden. Also - a cleric with a monk is...ok...but you have the same avoidance problem since clerics' specialty heal depends on the heal-ee getting hit. Often a cleric's biggest heals are wasted (and you are standing there going "get hit..GET HIT..") and THEN the monk gets slammed. It's frustrating for the healer, and I'm assuming you want to have fun. :)
  6. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

7. mague Active Member

@Arielle

I am a Warden (max all) since [look at my sig] And i have a Defiler 90/315 or so. The warden is awesome at high AA/prestige there is always a ward or tree up. I love my warden else i would have given up long ago. I healed a monk through prismatic #1, a guardian through prismatic #2 and a pally through KoS when it was relevant endgame. Reminds me that sandstorm rooted the warden back then and we couldnt move on fear :p But thats a different memory...

Warden was also very nice with the monk when they used AGI. Spirit of the Bat anyone ?

But to be honest, whenever knockups or similar crap are part of the scripts i am scared with the warden. We cant heal while in air or stunned. The Defiler and his procing dog, totem and later with Tribal Rage is better for scripts in many cases and quite good for doing old raids as trio. He fits the necro well and they should swap the monk for a SK :p I agree, the defiler was a nightmare in Dreadnever or Palace.. embarrassing pain :). All healers have their ups and downs depending on content. Thats why i agreed that any well played healer is good enough and i like warden and defiler most :p