Battlegrounds please

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Hekter, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Hekter New Member

Please enable Battlegrounds before the year ends.
    Soara2, Argosunited and Pixistik like this.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

Dreamweaver: So the first part of Pixistik's question is actually about Battlegrounds. So, are we planning on bringing back the old Battlegrounds at all?
    Kander: We are not. And there's a lot of reasons but basically that system would have to be totally rewritten, and we have so much to do regularly that, I mean, there's just, the system is, is, it's degraded over the years, and it's caused people to you know, lose characters and get sent to character select, and then all their characters disappear, and there's just all this really out of whack stuff with it because, I mean, the honest truth is that Battlegrounds was like a directive at the time from the people above way back then, and we, we got them in as quickly as possible, and that whole system was not meant for long term. It, it has not weathered the years well, and I mean, at, at this point, we're still trying to catch up with the stuff we absolutely have to do. We still have a couple newer coders. I mean, I don't, I don't forsee us going in and re-writing those any time soon. So, I mean, my answer, my answer for that is probably not.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...rtots-and-class-thoughts.594209/#post-6604532
  3. Siren Well-Known Member

Caith is the only dev who works on PvP, and he has said several times over the past few years that BGs are a no-go also because he can't support two different types of gear (PvP and PvE).

Kander mentioned recently on Discord they're talking about bringing back another open PvP server though, ballpark for next March. So...hooray for that! I'm sure it will be a TL open PvP server that's gold sub only, too like Deathtoll and Nagafen before it were.

Personallly, I hate BGs anyway; they're too repetitive and small vs open world PvP, and they were absolutely a nail in Nagafen's sad little coffin. BGs always kill open world PvP in every MMO they're put into.
  4. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Firstly they don't need two types of gear for battegrounds, normal everyday regular server quest gear is just fine as it is, so the rest of the talk about it being the reason is just a lamebs excuse with a capital B.

Personally, I hate open PvP the game wasnt designed for it and its quite obvious the devs are clueless when it comes to how to design rules that work for everyone.
    Ever think about why Battleground was the nails in Naga's coffin?...its because more folks would rather play Bg's than open world.

Let them keep thinking they can milk the community with the garbage game design they have now, the tats ae drying up fast.
    Soara2 likes this.
  5. Svenone Well-Known Member

I have no interested in PvP in this game. I did BG solely for the coins needed to purchase the adornments that were not (at that time) available elsewhere, and that was always doing solo zones. Boring, sure, but it lacked the aggravations of j***a** players, which to me outweighed the social aspect.
    Soara2 likes this.
  6. Siren Well-Known Member

Please read Dude's post (scroll upwards in this very thread) and realize this is not excuses from devs. And BGs are for carebears who are too afraid to really PvP. :p

Soara2 likes this.
  7. Melkior Well-Known Member

Or people that just flat out don't enjoy that aspect of the game. Nothing to do with fear, just not wanting to be bothered with gank squads, griefers, etc. You are entitled to your opinion of course. Some people still believe the earth is flat too. ;)
    Soara2 and Pixistik like this.
  8. Elskidorr Active Member

I don't care for PVP and never have, though I did have a blast with BGs for awhile. It doesn't sound like it's possible but if they could bring it back I bet it would be pretty successful for the TLP community and allow PVPers to scratch an itch, while offering the mostly PVE community additional fun. It would certainly be better than launching another seasonal fail PVP server with character wipes.
    Soara2 and Pixistik like this.
  9. vlada Active Member

so when kander says 'no,we're not bringing it back' you do not believe him?
    Soara2 and Siren like this.
  10. Smashey Well-Known Member

The battleground system as it was implemented in EQ2 was horrible. People lost characters because of it.

Everytime you wanted to play a BG, the servers had to make a fresh copy of your character on the BG server and if that failed you could lose progress that you made for several weeks (until their latest backup) and it sometimes took several days for CS to restore your character and it had terrible performance impacts on your normal server too during peak hours,. So I totally understand where Kander is coming from when he says it was plain awful.
    WhysperWynde, Soara2 and Siren like this.
  11. Ixian Active Member

It was also the cause a lot of dupe bugs.
  12. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

When the devs said the starter islands wouldn't be back I didn't believe them then either..to be quite honest I don't hold a lot of faith in anything Kander says.
    Soara2 likes this.
  13. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Wait, did you just mansplain (Siren-splain) Pixi, and tell them to re-read Dude's post.... which was a quote of Dreamweaver posing Pixi's question about BG's to Kander?

That's pure 2020 level hotness right there! :D
    WhysperWynde, Soara2 and Dude like this.
  14. Soara2 Well-Known Member

My family misses bg as well.
    Breanna and Pixistik like this.