basic compendiums on broker

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by napu, Nov 28, 2012.

1. napu Member

I think the grandmaster basic compendiums should be made no trade or heirloom, there are people exploiting peoples lack of knowledge about the new expansion and selling them for high amounts on the broker.
    I suppose you could argue its the buyers fault for not looking it up, but it is still a rip off i think. There's no reason they need to be tradeable.
  2. Senya Well-Known Member

I *almost* bought one of those by accident (for quite a chunk of plat) when I was buying advanced volumes. I'd not included the word "advanced" in my broker search, but rather something like grandm compend sage -iii -iv. I definitely think they need to flag those some way that they can't be listed on the broker.
  3. Mae- Well-Known Member

There's no need... people have sold garbage for big plat for a long time due to people not really researching what they're buying. We don't need to stupid-proof this game.
    Erszebeth likes this.
  4. Casawren New Member

I agree ! There are bound to be people with more money than sense any way ! It works both ways.. Do you put a minimum price for sale on things ? That sounds like SOE thinking to me !! BTW I bought a grand master of broker when I could COS I didn't realize you had to quest for them. So in conclusion it's my fault really but you live and learn.
    I am more interested in when SOE will patch to make experimented goods and refined rares obvious and detail correctly !! Why would they worry about books for sale when people might pay real world money to get get to buy the grand masters (or anything for that matter).
  5. Senya Well-Known Member

You don't quest for the Grandmaster's Basic Compendiums Volumes III, IV, and V. Those are sold by any old tradeskill recipe salesman. To me it seems the intention is not to sell to people who don't realize those are vendor bought books, but to fool others into thinking it's actually the advanced books listed. It doesn't really matter for these volumes anymore since the price of advanced books has dropped to a few gold, but the first few days some of the books were listed for several hundred plat. I don't necessarily think SOE should stupid-proof the game, but with the names of the books being so close to the same (with the basic/advanced in the middle of the book name) I think flagging them no-broker in the future would not be such a bad idea.
    Filly67 likes this.
  6. Thalador Active Member

Caveat emptor - Buyer beware. Just because people dont read what they are buying doesn't mean SOE should disallow them from being sold. I was tempted to buy one as well, but didn't. I was then even more tempted to put some on the broker and make quick plat.
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate that there are unscrupulous people who intentionally set out to deceive and rip people off... I don't think it's a good investment of SoE's time to find and prevent all such opportunities though.
  8. napu Member

i don't think not being aware that they are available to buy off an npc makes you stupid, not everyone plays with their other eye on google. And no i didn't buy one, but I did assume to start with that they were only buyable this way, and i bet i'm not the only one.
  9. Guiscard Active Member

Have you all noticed the toons who have stuff ( I mean stuff that normaly goes for a few silver or copper) on the broker for over 1000P? I wonder if they are in some plat selling business - they often have tons of useless stuff listed at these astronomical prices.
  10. Ynnek Well-Known Member

They're also selling to the really, really lazy. (Although I suppose it depends on the price).

I frequently just buy things resold off the broker because I'm too lazy to go find the vendor in question in a city that sells the thing. It's mostly one stop shopping, and I appreciate the folks who keep it stocked with market boards, and other silly things, even if there is a nontrivial markup.

Sure, *our* tradeskill recipe seller is just a few feet away from the broker, but not everyone has one. So someone might legitimately appreciate the new recipes on the broker.
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

The ones I call 'unscrupulous' are the few players I saw selling the regular recipe books for tens and early on, even hundreds of plats. That's not providing a service, that is ripping people off.
  12. Mae- Well-Known Member

A fool and his money are soon parted. Restricting the sale of these might stop what you call unscrupulous people from selling them, but it also stops the people who buy from vendor accidentally and opt to resell on the broker to make up the loss.
  13. Mermut Well-Known Member

Further up I said such people were unscrupulous, but that I didn't feel it was a good investment of SoE's time to stop it :)
  14. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I've bought the basics from the broker, it was my mistake, not the seller. Restricting it because I was careless just penalizes everyone else. Let me learn my lesson and not slap people on the wrist for it.
    Spindle and Deveryn like this.
  15. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

No need to try to make excuses or rationalize things to help create a place for those usiing deceptive sales practices. In the real world there are laws against it and recourse for those duped.; In the game world we can't take the thief to court or have them arrested for fraud so we need safeguards in game to prevent this unfair practice. There are a million ways to deal with it but letting grifters and con artists run rampant in our world isn't the best choice.
    BettyBoop, Senya and Wurm like this.
  16. Wurm Well-Known Member

As soon as the NPC sold dislodger recipes went live they were on the broker for hundreds of plat.

SOE could easily mark the NPC sold recipes in a way to make them non-brokerable; that they haven't just goes to show that they just don't care.

And to all the "buyer beware" people. Do you really think that's a health attitude that promotes a games future longevity? No. No it is not.
  17. Mermut Well-Known Member

Somebody did this on my server too.... so I've been buying 10 of reach recipe and putting them on the broker for about the same cost as the NPC sells them. Big ole raspberry to those trying to rip off other players.
    Filly67 and BettyBoop like this.
  18. Seni Active Member

I've been accused of being a rip-off artist in the past for keeping fuels for sale in my house for my alts. They are priced appropriately high to discourage anyone else buying them *and* the entrance inside the house is blocked off so nobody else can get to the sales crate. It's simply as a convenience for my growing crafter army.

Also, I had a friend who used her broker as storage and priced things high to discourage purchase. At the time she didn't realize that you didn't have to actually place the item for sale once you put it in the broker bag/box.

I'm not saying there are no con artists out there (and I'm sure a few are doing it on purpose).. just to note that there may be other reasons why someone has something common up for stupid amounts of plat.
  19. Kuulei Well-Known Member

I have a guild seller that puts stuff on the broker for way more than anyone would pay, to date, I have yet to have someone make a mistake and pay for my items, they are listed high so guildmates can look up the seller and see if she has recipes or masters they need, then they send her an in-game mail with thier request. I have also had non-guildmates ask if they may purchase something at a lower rate, I usally just toss the recipe to them for free. Until they can make them stackable, the only way to not fill up the guildbank, is to use the broker.

As for mistakenly buying a common instead of an advanced recipe, that is the buyers mistake. People have been listing the common books on the broker, since the broker has been in business, not just this expansion.

Buyer Beware is a pretty smart adage.

@cloudrat:
    I am not seeing how its fraud. It not like they are adverstising the advanced book and you find you were given the common book. Its not theft, they didnt steal anything from you.

Sure it stinks if you buy the wrong thing, I once accidently bought a armorer 47, excited I got a missing book! Then I realized I forgot to scribe the 47 common recipes and paid way too much for a book I could easily buy from a merchant and was still out the Advanced 47 I was so desperately wanting. I didnt cry fraud or cry for the game mechanics to be changed, it was MY OWN FAULT. So I learned to be more careful!
  20. Mae- Well-Known Member

No, sweetheart, those laws are against things like bait and switch or false advertising. This is not a case of that. The item is clearly described, there is a value placed on it. Its up to the buyer to decide if the value is worth the item. Its very much like buying from craigslist. Never say "i'll take it" without seeing the item in person, preferably running and operational if it is an item that requires it. Its buyers beware, not "Seller, be nice!"