Back attacks greyed out saying no back

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by badname912, Jan 6, 2017.

1. badname912 Active Member

having problems with back attacks now.. self targeting i can back attack... but targeting thru someone it greys out and says no back.
  2. Tajar Well-Known Member

Or, "You must be in front of or flanking your target". I have no front only abilities....
  3. Carni Active Member

Don't assist anyone, hard target mobs and that solved the issue for me.
  4. badname912 Active Member

that doesnt fully fix the problem though.. of course hard target mob. but noticed it while cycling through.. and def not because im in front of mob.. tested it on multiple mobs zones etc.
  5. Cruice New Member

Same issue. I assist through tank and it says "must be behind the mob", even though I'm behind. I moved to behind the tank, but in front of the mob and it lights up (but still doesn't cast since now I am in front of mob).
  6. Lyricus Member

Same issue, very frustrating.
  7. Billzbub Active Member

Someone posted somewhere that if you are targeting through the tank, you must be behind the tank for backstabs to work. It is a known bug now.
  8. Simien Active Member

It is a bug. Swash I group with said it is like his abilities are recognizing the tank as the actual target. So if you are behind mob then you are in front of tank i.e. in front of the target. Hard targeting fixes the problem but still needs to be addressed.
  9. Syere Member

stop attacking the tank, and things should be fine.
  10. eelf Member

That's a lazy answer.

Do a /assist %target% for now.... Repeat oftenly as the tank might change targets. Do not do a /target macro because youll run in the same problem.

Stop attacking the tank... You are definately not an assassin Syere. Moving during the fight and spamming a /assist macro aint easy. Lazy mage that just stands in the mdidle of the fight ;)
  11. Ucarenyes Member

Daybreak look at what you have done. They may think auto attack is lazy work and they don't really play scouts. With the useless of auto attack scouts now became mindless mages. We were nimble fingers who used to care about positioning, targeting to get best AE auto, used to care about rhythm of attack and combat arts, used to adjust the position time to time during fight. Now look at us, we start to target the Tank and became mindless Mages...
  12. Azian Well-Known Member

That's odd, I still do all those things and I greatly prefer the majority of my dps coming from the buttons I push and how/when I push them rather than lazy dps of huge auto-attack numbers. Outside of the current targeting oddities, I will either direct target or use an implied target as seems best to me for any given encounter. Exactly as I have done since 2004.
  13. eelf Member

True but...it is not as important as it use to be. Skills did matter A LOT in the past, now...much less. It's more of a race to the best in slot items.
  14. Azian Well-Known Member

If you are saying that you believe it took more "skill" to perform well in the days of crazy strong auto-attack then I fundamentally disagree with that position. I view the inordinate emphasis on auto-attack that we used to have as being by far the easiest and laziest method of generating dps. You say it's now a race to best in slot items. That's always been true. It used to be a race to the most dps mod, flurry, etc. so you could watch your auto attack bar swing. Now we want potency. However, at least now that potency does absolutely nothing for us unless we use our buttons wisely. That wasn't true in the past. You literally could auto attack and afk and at least look like you were participating. Try that now and suddenly that "ninja-afk" isn't quite so ninja any longer.
  15. eelf Member

I am talking about back in the days when EQ2 was 2-3 years old with a parse of 4k-7k until perhaps DoV when things started to change....back 3-4 years ago, yes auto attack had to be nerfed, auto attack and poisons were like 80% of the parse. I see also a lot of people refer to this period with the same comments, not sure why everyone is stuck on that episode and they talk about it like it's always been this way.
  16. Ucarenyes Member

Azian I don't get your point. Timing and moving around is usually 4 key stroke with maybe mouse holding, standing still casting spells might be up to 8 or more keystroke and may also be done in just mouse click. Spells/CA has cool down, moving don't. If you say auto attack is too lazy it is the problem of level designing and the art of Tanking. I see equivalent skill here, mobs block more at front, MA has a cone of effect, what you are targeting, where you are standing, when you do range or melee auto attack switch, contributes to the output of you.

Remember the first 100 WDB buff charm in ToV Heroic? How and when to use it, used to differ a lot of your output. They made a swam of mobs right on where you get it to make you toy with the charm. We used to play with that encounter and the charm is a key component, that was the fun part in whole run, and a good piece of level design.
  17. Azian Well-Known Member

My overall point was that, in my opinion, you were off base in your comments. You were disparaging of using the implied target calling current scouts "mindless mages" and that people who think of auto-attack as lazy work "don't really play scouts." I completely disagree that position. Yes, clicking a wdb charm made your auto-attack do more damage. Why is that worthy of comment? I say now and maintain that the current system is better than the ToV times. Auto attack damage was absurd to the point that using our abilities was in a distant place behind A) what weapon we had equipped B) what our auto-attack stats were at and C) how we made sure not to let our buttons interfere with a weapon swing that is automatic.When you combined auto attack and proc damage it made up a very disproportionate % of our outgoing dps. At least now, my biggest pieces of the dps pie will be something that I had to choose to cast.

Have they gone too far away from auto attack? Yeah, probably. Eelf seems to be referring to something more of a happy medium. In truth though, my recollection is that auto-attack stats and procs were VERY strong even long ago in the game. (Remember the proc nerf way back when rangers were doing crazy dps because of their slow auto attack and procs causing other procs? That was what...2005-2006?) I'm not sure we will ever really see that particular type auto attack/CA/spell balance but I understand where he is coming from. For what it's worth, one of the devs (Gninja maybe?) seemed to be hinting on discord recently that not all the raid mobs have been seen yet and implying there may be need for auto-attack damage still. At least more than it is currently being credited.

As I stated, I still feel the need to move, target, position for AE, etc. just as I did back then. I still feel the need to have "nimble fingers" if I want to do my best dps. It's just now my dps is far more reliant upon my own actions and not just where I put myself and having my automatic weapon swinging merrily away.
  18. eelf Member

Tssss....They were unpluging and replugging their network cable as fast as they could while pressing Triple shot(or whatever the name is) so TCP would resend the packets like 10 times ..... and hit triple shot that many times. :p

But your overall speech differs now.... or we are on the same page but we cannot udnerstand each other :p

I could agree for those using ogrebots and stuff...just wait for your script to tell you when and what to press/hit...
  19. Azian Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think either part of this comment is correct but since a short term solution to the OP was given in the 3rd post of the thread and the problem has actually been fixed in game, we probably ought to just let this other off topic stuff die away.