awesomium_process.exe is crashing in Win 7 Pro 64bit since 6/13 patch

Discussion in 'Connection Support' started by ARCHIVED-Mysstie, Jun 13, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Mysstie Guest

I'm seeing the following Error in the Application Event viewer:
    Faulting application name: awesomium_process.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f74efe7
    Faulting module name: awesomium.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fbe641f
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x005a7103
    Faulting process id: 0x128
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd49ae81baed11
    Faulting application path: C:\Games\EverQuest II\awesomium_process.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Games\EverQuest II\awesomium.dll
    I think it's happening while I'm using the browser in game which probably explains why the browser isn't behaving very well. I did add awesomium_process.exe to the Win 7 Firewall as an exception. I've also Validated Game Assets in LaunchPad.
    I'll play in Windowed mode or something to see what I'm doing in the browser that causes it to crash.
  2. ARCHIVED-Mysstie Guest

This may be related to using the DrumsUI Browser which was updated for this patch. May be something else needs to be done to it for it to be full compatible. So far it hasn't crashed using the default UI browser. I am noticing that \mozilla\cookies.txt is no longer being updated. I have to login to every website each time I go in game which is annoying.
  3. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

It is for your protection.
    It is a far better enhanced security measure to force you to log in everytime that was should you happen upon a rogue site or just get a drive by install of some rogue keylogger it will have a better opportunity at grabbing your password.
    At least there is consitency they force it upon us here, use the browser they provide in game and you are gonna be forced to the same security standards on all sites.
    At least the browser has been upgraded, I don't use the one in game myself but hopefully that at least provides relief for some.
  4. ARCHIVED-Mysstie Guest

Hmmm.. maybe that explains why EQII Share never stays connected to Twitter in-game (it's un-checked every time). I always have to re-enable it and it's a 50% chance that the process will work correctly. Does stay connected with Facebook though. Well, I like the quick quest and item look-up links of DrumsUI so I use the in-game browser fairly often because of that and I run the game full-screen.
  5. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

Mysstie@Oasis wrote:
    I've had it crashing using ProfitUI with an updated browser window, ProfitUI with the default browser window and just the default UI (including going all the way back to a blank character with the default UI settings on it). It's not just the UI XML, something's wrong with the actual browser code. I'm betting it's another discrepancy like the one that was causing Flash to crash the browser.
  6. ARCHIVED-Lamatu Guest

I use Profit and the browser file wasn't updated so I used the new one from the Drums Updater and everything is working fine on my 7x64 system.
    I just copied the new Drums one into my Profit folder.
  7. ARCHIVED-Mysstie Guest

Mysstie@Oasis wrote:
    Well, I have since learned that the in-game browser is apparently no longer using the \mozilla\ based browser which explains why cookies.txt is not updated. This awsomium_process.exe is the browser frame-work now and I'm not exactly sure where it stores its stuff yet.
  8. ARCHIVED-deadcrickets2 Guest

Mysstie@Oasis wrote:
    I found where it is located but it didn't help much. Mine is crashing (though I rarely use it) as well. I'm on 7 Ultimate SP1 x64.
    By default I keep the Windows Firewall off so the first thing I did after the crash was to turn on the firewall to get the notification so a rule can be inserted. No notification from the firewall at all, still crashes. So I manually added in EQ2.exe, EverQuest2.exe, Launchpad.exe, Awesomiumprocess.exe. Still crashes. Added in the ports directly as a bypass ruleset, still crashes. Changed it from running as Administrator to default setting, crashes. Turned off themes, still crashes. Turned off desktop compisition, same. Changed compatibility to Vista, crash, XP, crash.
    Checked Windows Update and no updates found even under Optional. Checked for any and all system updates including drivers, only found Java but still.. crashing.
    Booted into Ubuntu 12.04 and ran it under Wine... doesn't crash and gives a result of 343 under HTML5Test.com.
    I'm still fiddling as I'm sure I'll find it if it's system related.
  9. ARCHIVED-Mysstie Guest

Well, after I added an exception to awesomium_process.exe to Windows 7 Firewall manually, it seems to have stopped crashing. I've also updated my copy of DrumsUI browser window so that all the tabs work correctly now: http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/...ead.php?t=16486 For the heck of it I renamed the \mozilla\ folder to \mozilla-bak\ and LaunchPad did re-create it so it may or may not be using some components of that folder. Oh FYI, here's the user agent string the browser has now: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1003.1 Safari/535.19 Awesomium/1.7a Not sure if this affects this browser but the crashing might be related to Flash 11.3.300.257 that's installed which does cause Firefox 13.0 to do a silent crash when closing it if I have Protected Mode enabled (this Protected Mode is only used in Vista/Windows 7 and not XP, more info here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071?tstart=0 ). But on the upside, at least the in-game browser does render pages better now.
  10. ARCHIVED-deadcrickets2 Guest

Mysstie@Oasis wrote:
    Mine is still crashing. I have the same version of Flash as well. I even went so far as to change the Flash settings to allow local data storage to no effect (not expecting a change as it's a different process). Protected mode in IE9 made no difference on either setting. I had already allowed the Awesomium process. That leaves me with the possibility that I have a setting or file version somewhere it doesn't like. Other things I've tried is to remove all browsers from memory before game client start, shutting down Steam and Raptr (both have overlays), turning off HostsMan.
    I tend to use a lot of beta software so it's always fun to track down what may be the root cause.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: EverQuest2.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.0.1
    Application Timestamp: 4fd62cd0
    Fault Module Name: EverQuest2.exe
    Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.1
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4fd62cd0
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0065463e
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 1bb4
    Additional Information 2: 1bb42db2731cb65a3721b76acfd5853c
    Additional Information 3: 0157
    Additional Information 4: 015789cabeffdf6965d9621eceeaa601
  11. ARCHIVED-Mysstie Guest

Well, I did get another one at 1:31am this morning :
    Faulting application name: awesomium_process.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f74efe7
    Faulting module name: awesomium.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fbe641f
    Faulting process id: 0x1618
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd4ac0803960ab
    Faulting module path: C:\Games\EverQuest II\awesomium.dll
    Report Id: c41579f4-b6b3-11e1-94cf-8c89a5bf3e81
    In my case, EverQuest2.exe is not crashing when this happens, just this. It's a silent crash as I don't get an error or anything and EverQuest2 itself doesn't crash.
    Every once and a while EverQuest does crash when I /camp desktop and I do get an error dialog asking if I just want to close the program or look for a solution then close it. The last time that happened was on 6/7/2012 and generates this Event Error:
    Faulting application name: EverQuest2.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4fbec153
    Faulting module name: EverQuest2.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4fbec153
    Fault offset: 0x005f505d
    Faulting process id: 0x1908
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd4531894e4657
    Faulting application path: C:\Games\EverQuest II\EverQuest2.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Games\EverQuest II\EverQuest2.exe
    Report Id: 84d9f2c4-b14a-11e1-a399-8c89a5bf3e81
    These were happening before the latest update. Hmm.. I wonder if they are somewhat related because I would generally only get this crash if I happened to use the browser in-game.. at least that seems to be when it happened the most. Since that awesome thing is handling the browsing now, it's the thing that crashes now instead.
  12. ARCHIVED-Mysstie Guest

I got another one:
    Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 6/28/2012 2:58:35 AM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: (removed)
    Description:
    Faulting application name: awesomium_process.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fe0e9b8
    Faulting module name: awesomium_1_7.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fe0e2ec
    Faulting process id: 0x10f0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd5503be5f1dcd
    Faulting module path: C:\Games\EverQuest II\awesomium_1_7.dll
    Report Id: 0f3146ac-c0f7-11e1-8024-8c89a5bf3e81
    This time I think I know what caused it. It was probably when I was trying to re-connect EQII Share with my Twitter account which will never stay connected. The process would not complete probably due to this crash.
  13. ARCHIVED-gds Guest

Just a little over two hours ago I was surprised that the game became laggy. I check the frame rates and had dropped down to teens from the sixties. I opened up the task manager to try and figure what was going on and found that the awesomium_process.exe was chewing up a good chunk of CPU cycles (between 25-50%). I've never seen this process until now and after some checking it looks like it gets started / created / updated by the launcher. It seems like EQ2 isn't the only mmo game with this software imbedded into it and related to the in-game browser.
    As far as I'm concerned this application is classified as Maleware (or even worse Spyware - for it may be monitoring your keystrokes). Does anyone know of a way of disabling this application or better yet preventing it from being installed on the computer?
  14. ARCHIVED-Mysstie Guest

awesomium_process.exe in the \EverQuest II\ directory is used by the game itself. LaunchPad uses \EverQuest II\LaunchPad.libs\AwesomiumProcess.exe when it's running. They are Chromium based browser executables. The Adobe website thinks it's Google Chrome. The in-game browser uses awesomium_process.exe and the /petition process does as well. Previously, they were using the /mozilla/ based browser in the /mozilla/ directory. You can rename awesomium_process.exe and still run EverQuest2.exe manually but some parts, like the in-game browser won't work.
  15. ARCHIVED-deadcrickets2 Guest

Calamoor@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Awesomium itself does not monitor keystrokes only certain key combinations as defined by the developer who imbeds it. There is no way to disable it as it is required for the Launchpad itself.
    Multiple MMOs now use it as does Raptr, Overwolf, Evolve, and various other social gaming platforms.