Assassin vs. Swashbuckler

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by ARCHIVED-Saleskawa3, Apr 9, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Saleskawa3 Guest

2. ARCHIVED-Saleskawa3 Guest

which is better assassin or swashbuckler? i see really no difference
  3. ARCHIVED-lolercopter Guest

If you don't see a difference, you probably haven't played one of the classes past level 5.

Swashbucklers have some relatively powerful AE attacks they can use to take down groups. Assassins have massive single target DPS and some very nice bow skills. Swashbucklers, however, use throwing weapons for their special ranged attack. Swashbucklers can be offtanks, assassins can be...more DPS.
  4. ARCHIVED-Saleskawa3 Guest

i'd go assassin if it wasnt freeport i hate freeport too dark....
  5. ARCHIVED-Saleskawa3 Guest

6. ARCHIVED-scivias Guest

Change of plans.. play whatever you like ^.^ It'll be fine.
  7. ARCHIVED-Demonskiller Guest

DPS - SKILLS
    NO SKILLS = NO DPS
  8. ARCHIVED-Apathetic Guest

:smileyvery-happy: Best reply of the day.
  9. ARCHIVED-Saleskawa3 Guest

wats DPS stand for???
  10. ARCHIVED-latrocinor Guest

Dps stands for differential pressure sensors this is the amount of pressure put on the player to hurt the mob
  11. ARCHIVED-DarkangelCA Guest

Damage Per Second = DPS
  12. ARCHIVED-Orionvr6 Guest

I would say it's a close tie between Swashbuckler and Assassin, in terms of DPS.

What really sets them apart is how they play. Swashbucklers are fast and furious. They have a lot more combat arts that refresh quicker. This allows them to chain cast them constantly. Which means DPS is more precise and quick. It also means you will be a lot more "busy", and it requires more work to do max DPS all the time.

I think reason Swashbucklers are so high in DPS is because certain players push themselves to reach that full potential. So it's like, the class CAN do a lot of DPS, but most people don't want to put in that much effort to do it...so in a sense it's balanced. Similar to how Warlocks CAN do the most DPS, but this gets them killed too often so they don't.

The other distinguishing quality between them is that Swashbuckler has the BEST hate reduction. Perhaps this is also because they don't have massive hate generation from huge 10,000-29,000 attacks. That means I stay alive longer and can do more damage.

So player ability has a lot to do with it, and of course other factors. Such as how close to the cap you are on Strength, and the quality of your combat arts. Swashbucklers also rely very little on the quality of their weapon(s), but Assassins rely much more on a good weapon to do more DPS. Assassins don't use combat arts as often and employ more autoattack damage, and have buffs that increase autoattack DPS. So having a good melee weapon (and bow, in ranged fights) is extremely important for Assassins.
  13. ARCHIVED-Orionvr6 Guest

I forgot to mention that Swashbucklers also have more utility, with their many debuffs and mezmerize (which is great for soloing). (Brigand is the BEST debuffer however)
  14. ARCHIVED-Saleskawa3 Guest

15. ARCHIVED-Kel Guest

You're crazy. If you're parsing near an assassin for DPS all the time, the assassin sucks. Flat out. I can't think of any time a swashbuckler has beat me DPS-wise *except* when I die mid-fight or hold back and just do auto-attack so I dont get aggro. And even then- with just auto-attack I was only 15-30 dps behind the swash.

As for having the best hate reduction? Not really true- Not generating hate doesnt give you the best hate reduction. It means you dont need it. 'I stay alive longer and can do more damage': Yeah. You'll do more *if* I die, but I don't die often unless I'm not paying attention or it's a bad tank set with resists on taunts. And I wouldnt call me the best assassin out there.
  16. ARCHIVED-Satie Guest

They get a huge dps increase from AAs unlike us. Wait till you group with a swashy that has AAs intact. . . he'll be right up there with you. You should still be on top though, but make sure you dont blink ;p
  17. ARCHIVED-yohann koldheart Guest

on my 28 assasan i can kill any swashy thats orange or below, assasans can do 1100+ pvp damage in just 2 ca's at that level.
    it seems swashys are better in longer fights, but assasans are awsome in shorter fights because of their very high burst dps.
  18. ARCHIVED-Demonskiller Guest

assassin is an auto attack DPS class that doesn't use CA as often??
    here, assassin has all the long recast timer on their CA, that's why planning is CRITICAL, so we dont' spam everythign we have at once, which differentiate a good or bad assassin as well. I donno why everyone think assassin do all their easy DPS by auto attack. We got the greatest restriction of positioning and stealth requirement on 60% of our CA. BTW when i kill, i use CA bascially non-stop, so i donno where u got ur auto attack assassin info from.
  19. ARCHIVED-Orionvr6 Guest

I'm going to assume you meant to say the *swashbuckler* sucks, not the assassin in that comparison.

I've yet to meet a swashbuckler that beats me in DPS. Almost all assassins (or other DPS classes for that matter) do less DPS than me as well. Except for a guildmate assassin which does 100-200 DPS consistently more than me. Sometimes I beat him, but only in the big AE fights. Surprisingly our conjuror beats everyone for the #1 DPS title, but that's due to long fights with large encounters.

I do have all my combat arts at adept 3 or master 1. And I have 43 AA into the WIS and STR line to maximize DPS. I'm sure the reason I stand out is because of these things, and the fact that I'm ALWAYS "ON" DPS, I don't rest or take breaks.

In regards to the original question of this thread, I think the poster might also consider the "fun factor" between each class. I mean, if you want to do the most damage on raids just be a conjuror lol. Sit back and let the pets do all the damage.

I choose swashbuckler because I loved the description of the class and their DPS potential. They are flamboyant fighters, they do great damage and they look good doing it. It's very much a dance. You have to do a lot of maneuvering given faster recast times and the large number of different attacks you have. Front to side/back, AE attacks, stealth, etc. I like to throw in a jump when I do my AE attacks as I push forward or to the back of a mob in mid air. The result is you leap up, spin, hit all mobs, then land on the opposite side of the mobs (front/rear depending on your next choice of attack). If I wanted to do a stealth attack, I'd queue my stealth so it cloaks me about the time I land and get in position. Incorporating these "moves" makes the class a lot more fun for me.

The assassin is more of a "no nonsense" scout that uses fewer but more damaging attacks. They don't have to work as hard to do a lot of damage.

One thing I miss playing my assassin is mez that my swashbuckler has. In some fights I just don't have the DPS to kill something fast enough, whereas my swashbuckler could mez an add or another mob in an encounter and finish the fight. Swashbucklers are stronger in soloing I'd say. They have more stuns available (one of my AE's has a short stun, my stealth attack is 4 sec stun), this lets them take damage less, and use more positional attacks.
  20. ARCHIVED-Ahlspiess Guest

Assassins shouldn't be out dps'd by swashies ever... Those assassin's you are playing with must not know there class.

Ahlspiess
    70 Assassin
    70 Armorer
    Permafrost