Armor Class Reference

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Alarr, Nov 29, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Alarr Guest

I'm a level 21 Monk with Armor Class of about 550. From what I've read in the forums this pretty much sucks. Can anyone help provide (in a non-condescending manner please I'm not a know-it-all) a frame of reference for Monk Armor Class?

A frame of reference will help me understand how much SUCK my Armor Class is and how far I need to go to get it to where is shoudl be.

Thanks!
  2. ARCHIVED-Inno Guest

I am not sure exactly what it is you want.

But if I were you, I would work to complete the quest armor set from the ranger in South Qeynos (Selwyn is her name and there is an extensive thread on HOW to do her quests on these forums).

Other than that, shop around for jewelery that you can make to increase you ac/stats (agi is also important) and check the Broker for belts and necklaces/helms that you can use. There is a dropped quest from Scarecrows in Thundering steppes that yeilds a decent monk hat.

Shoot for 700ac by level 22 (assuming you get 2-3 armor quest peices done by then).
  3. ARCHIVED-Alarr Guest

Here is an example of what I was looking for...
    Your bar drinking friend sees a girl in a bar and tells you she is a TEN! You assume she is a hottie, right? As you gaze over to an expected image of desire, you find a hored face of pain that could stop a truck!
    Your friend rated her a 10 on a scale of 1-100, rather than a scale of 1-10. Thus, now you have a frame of reference and understand the meaning of 10. Basically, taking a qualitative reference (the more is better) and turning it into a qualitative measurement (how much better is AC 700 over AC 550).
    You did tell me what I was looking for. Perhaps my armor class of 550 sucks for other TANK classes but just a little behind on the Monk class if I'm looking to hit over 700 when I hit lvl 22.
  4. ARCHIVED-healimonster Guest

That is some funny stuff, not sure how accurate it is.
    I have the same armor problem. I have all my newbie armor still and I am quite sure that I wont be able to finish any of my armor quests because of it.
    Where can i find light armor that will hold me over until i complete all these armor quests?
    I have seemingly searched ever where looking to buy it in all different zones.
    Help!
  5. ARCHIVED-Alarr Guest

I'm on the second armor quest myself and having a hard time to find group members that have the patience to help me kill 25 Acolytes. And any group that I do find has a power-gamer that agros everything before the healer and tank get their mana back in a rush to get their XP (not smart). Or, I get into a group with a leader that asks "whadda ya wanna do now" after every kill and has no leadership abilities whatsoever.
  6. ARCHIVED-stfields Guest

A frame of reference?

Well I consider my gear to be above average, but certainly not "uber" or "the tops." I am a 21 Monk and have 588 AC. So, let's say I'm a 70/100, you are a 65/100.

Is anybody a 100/100? I'd guess a 24 Monk with full chainweave and the "best" stuff on the market for other slots would fit the bill.

Would increasing your AC from 550 to 588 make a world of difference? Hell no. Our ability to tank even or higher mobs all comes down to the random number generator. Would it help lower the damage you do take when you get hit? I'd guess a little bit.

I haven't got a chance to look at the next step in gear (aside from the AQ gear). My current main armor slots (legs, head, arms) have just turned "blue" so I'd assume that some orange stuff is available now. Maybe with those upgrades, a 21ish Monk could reach 700 AC.

Just curious... anybody know what the other tanking classes have AC-wise at level 21? Do they have 1000+ at that point?
  7. ARCHIVED-Coraz2 Guest

I was wearing some very light armor (not now) because it doesn't matter... we get hit for 48674805682594x10^23 if we don't block it.