Are warlocks to be a top-tier DPS class or not?

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-V4nce, Aug 23, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Conequis Guest

As a wizard, I agree with you on this. I don't believe, and actually hope that it doesn't happen, that you should be a DoT class

You guys are masters of Poison and Disease and the term "OBLITERATE the enemy" is used. I don't see DoTs as obliterating, I see DDs.

Hope things get changed for you guys by the final date.
  2. ARCHIVED-Typhoid Guest

With respect, I couldn't disagree more.
    As many have already said, standing by and hoping SoE will make a quick fix to a class is like waiting at a bus station to board a plane. It will NOT happen.

How long has it been that wizzards have waited to use Ice Comet equally as often as Warlock's use Devastation in raids?

And why would it be any different this time for Warlocks "IF" things are broken?

Granted we do not have all the necessary information to make an educated decision, but with what is available for the future class balancing in regards to Warlocks the balancing looks more like redirecting.
  3. ARCHIVED-Conequis Guest

I agree that the balancing seems off, especially wizards vs. warlocks, however, please keep in mind that the information we have is initial and subject to change. The whole purpose of the testing is to find out what needs tweeking, deleted, or added as far as spells are concerned.

Until we get closer to the actual date of it going live, there are many things that can change between now and then.
  4. ARCHIVED-Lamprey_02 Guest

Do you really think SOE will change our spells drastically enough in the next 3 weeks to make us back into an efficient DPS class, rather than an AE class? You honestly think so?

An AE class is not efficient on single targets, in fact we'll be very INefficient on those while still getting outdamaged by other classes. On multiple targets, if we're as damaging as they want us to be, we'll be dead. Most tanks can't keep agro when a warlock AEs now, and that's before any AE dmg increase.

Yeah, we can talk about the changes even if they're not live yet. And they screw our class.
  5. ARCHIVED-Lamprey_02 Guest

Think of it this way:

Single targets, we suck. Obviously. But think about what happens when an encounter of 4 mobs gets pulled. Group mobs have fewer hp and you can't AE them on incoming, because you'll get agro and die.

So... you open with a single nuke. Say, 1.5k. Wizard follows up with a 4.5k nuke. Mob dead.

Now you AE. You hit all 3 mobs for 1.5k. Wizard AEs them for 1k. You use your devastation, Wizard uses his devastation, the one he gets at lvl 48. Another mob dies since the rest of the group is beating on it too, so your and wizard's devastation tick on the remaining 2 mobs.

It doesn't make sense to AE 2 mobs, so you single nuke them... wizard has you there by a LOT.

The end result is, a wizard - best single target damage and decent AE damage - will contribute a lot on both single targets and group pulls. A warlock will contribute a lot on groups but little on single pulls.

Unless DoF is 90% group encounters, which class is better to have in the group? I'm not mentioning raids since in a raid you always end up killing one big mob, making the warlock worse every time.
  6. ARCHIVED-Magiocracy Guest

To be fair, given the resists issues that Wizards face with lots and lots of raid mobs this isn't quite true. No point in having a 20k nuke if the mob is immune to the damage type.
  7. ARCHIVED-Typhoid Guest

I'm very sure you are aware of this as well Magio and I've appreciated all your recent posts, but there is a difference between the quality of a spell and the effectiveness of a spell. IMO Wizzards (even pre rebalancing) have high quality spells. Ice Comet is not a low quality spell... it's the resist tables that make it ineffective in raids.
    I.E. if the resist tables were fixed Ice Comet would seem to be a higher quality but rather it's effectiveness was just increased.
    And in the expansion who knows what the resist tables will be like once it goes live... it is quite possible the tables could be fixed for Wizzards
  8. ARCHIVED-Magiocracy Guest

I'd put it another way - there's a difference between the potential usefulness of a spell and it's actual usefullness. Ice Comet is potentially an almost 5k nuke but in actuality that potential is limited by other factors, specifically, resists.

So Warlock spells in general tend to have lower potential but higher usefulness due to a globally better noxious resist table, while Wizards in general have higher potential but lower usefulness spells becuase of globally higher fire/ice resists. Balance ? I don't know to be honest. I suspect what you're saying is that with Warlock spells largely what you see is what you get since most of the time they're acting at or near peak efficiency, while with Wizard spells, SOE could add significant Wizard dps overnight by simply adjusting the resists tables without touching the spells themselves.
    Message Edited by Magiocracy on 08-26-2005 12:28 AM
  9. ARCHIVED-MilkToast Guest

At least wizards have 2 types of damage they can deal, warlocks only have one (how many disease spells do we have?). On mobs that are highly poison resistant we are totally screwed and you can bet that SOE will be adjusting the resists for DOF raid mobs.
  10. ARCHIVED-Lamprey_02 Guest

After the nerf wizards will have 3 types of damage. Fire, cold, magic.

Also, DoF = Desert of Flames. Flames. Implies high fire resist, low cold resist doesn't it?
  11. ARCHIVED-SmEaGoLLuM86 Guest

D: If you like being nerfed to oblivion, stay. If you don't, /quit, it is the best message one can give.
  12. ARCHIVED-Conequis Guest

If that were really true than why are soo many mobs in EVERFROST (i.e. a VERY cold place) very resistant to fire from wizards?
  13. ARCHIVED-Lamprey_02 Guest

Wouldn't know, I play a warlock. Go post in the wizard forum for your answer.
  14. ARCHIVED-Conequis Guest

In other words your comparison is incorrect, thanks for letting us know that.
  15. ARCHIVED-Lamprey_02 Guest

I said I wouldn't know why everfrost mobs have high fire resist since I never cared to find out. I play a warlock. Again, go check the wizard forum for your answer.

Don't put words in my mouth wizzie boy.
  16. ARCHIVED-SalBluee Guest

Actually, the analogy IS incorrect. Throughout the game, so far as I can tell, there is little association between zone and resistance. The biggest zone I see with resistance related to environment would be the Feerrott, and that would be Noxious resistance on the downside of Warlocks.
    I actually find tons of Ice resistant mobs in Lavastorm, and likewise a ton of Fire resistant mobs in Everfrost, which would be the complete opposite of what you might think.
    There are inconsistancies for every zone, but in particular I havent seen a widespread association of environment type in relation to mob resists.
  17. ARCHIVED-MilkToast Guest

It is possible to disagree with someone without making it personal.
  18. ARCHIVED-Lamprey_02 Guest

Course it is. It's also possible to reply to a post without restating someone's words to mean something completely different.

Heck, it is also possible to stay out of a forum one can't contribute to, not having a warlock character or a high enough level, if at all.

Many things are possible.