Are Bows totally useless to Rangers and what about this poison stuff i have heard about?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Kaleid, Nov 24, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Kaleid Guest

ok, some n00b questions im not 100% clear with yet.

As a ranger at lvl 20 i thoght that the Bow was gonna be my primary weapon but it really sucks. As i see it i do alot more initial dmg with Hunt/Sneak - Shadow blade. If i use my Bow and get really lucky to get off 2 shots before critter is over me im not even near the 200+ dmg i do with the initial sneak attacks? Any suggestions or thoughts about this?

The only useful thing i can find about the Bow is the bonus stats that adds to you as well its a decent pulling weapon for group hunt. Other than that i see no use whatsoever for a Ranger to use bow Dmg wise?

Also was reading something about the ability to use poison on your blades, something i have totally missed, were can you get this and how does it work exactly?

Would appreciate some info from some experienced Ranger out there [IMG]

Thanks.

Decoy - Permafrost
  2. ARCHIVED-Garrid Wyldwind Guest

"As a ranger at lvl 20 i thoght that the Bow was gonna be my primary weapon but it really sucks. As i see it i do alot more initial dmg with Hunt/Sneak - Shadow blade. If i use my Bow and get really lucky to get off 2 shots before critter is over me im not even near the 200+ dmg i do with the initial sneak attacks? Any suggestions or thoughts about this?"
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Ok, first off... playing this class to the best of your ability requires a combination of wepons/skills/poisions. While at this point you very well might be doing more damage with Shadowblade... At 21 you are able to summon Makeshift Carbonite Arrows... these up your damage output tremendously... i have done shots at 23 of upwards of 200+ using Steady Aim + Back Shot... plus you need to factor in that poisons have a chance to hit.. as well as archery skill debuffs...

Generally on a pull I can get off Backshot + Wounding + Openshot.. Corner.. Cheapshot (jump over) ... stalk + Shadowblade... (add in some poison procs on double stacked poison) now add these up and before I really take any damage... the mob is sitting at half to 1/4 health... not to shabby if you ask me.

All I can say is keep your buffs up Reconn, Hunter's, etc. and be creative... a real ranger moves in and out of combat... melee.. archery...melee... etc.

"Also was reading something about the ability to use poison on your blades, something i have totally missed, were can you get this and how does it work exactly?"

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Ok, poisons are 12hr or 100proc equipable weapon procs. As far as I know you can have up to 2 different poisons on your weapons at the same time. How do they work? Simply apply the poison, then start attacking .. on every successful hit your poison has a chance to proc (Mordant Goo, a moderate level poison averages around 26 damage a proc). This is why I prefer to use very low delay weapons such as the Carbonite Kris, or Stilletto's.

You can find these poisons off of vendors in South Qeynos, Qeynos Harbor, as well as Thundering Steppes Docks. The moderate level poisons cost around 1sp a vial, while 150+ skill ones cost upwards of 3-7sp a vial.

All in all, you will see a significant jump in DPS using these poisons. I highly recommend it.

Lastly, there have been many threads on these very same topics already on these boards.. while its tempting to just ask away... try and do some research first. :)

my 2cp.

-Garrid Wildwind 23 Ranger, (Mistmoore)
  3. ARCHIVED-Kaleid Guest

thank you, that really cleared some things out, guess i have to give the bow another chance.

Am new to the boards here but i did do a little searching before posting, couldnt find anything that answered my questions except the poison thing ;)

Decoy
  4. ARCHIVED-Elryck Guest

I see this simular question come up quite often, and I truly do not mean to be picking on you Kaleid, but I fail to understand what people were expecting to happen when they use a bow solo. Did you think the mob would just stand there, trying to dodge your arrows while you kept firing. In any game, if you do damage to a mob they will come running at you and when it gets to you, you have to melee.

But yes, the bow is still valuable, you just have to develop different techqunies to make the best use of all of your abilites. But for the want of being a pure archer, you will need to group most of the time and work on making your ability to quickly evaluate the terrain to find your "ideal" fighting spot, automatic and second nature.
  5. ARCHIVED-Justafreaksname Guest

At lev30 i do more damage with my bow then any skills