Appearance Gear: Lets Address the Space Issue

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Meirril, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Meirril Well-Known Member

Appearance gear is very near and dear to most of us. Crafters can produce a lot of things that work well as appearance gear, and we collect a lot of it from various crafting quest rewards. As such, I think this is a tradeskill issue.

We devote a lot of space to keeping things around that we want to wear. We devote a significant amount of SC to appearance gear. We would devote more of both if we weren't worried about how much space it took up. So in consideration of that I'm calling for the creation of a depot for appearance gear, and a method to convert items to be appearance only.

This doesn't have to be an actual house item. It could just be built into housing. Add a "closet" tab to the house menu. Add a way to add items to the closet that converts it into an appearance only item. Make sure we can use the items in the closet to preview so we don't waste time trying to figure out the parts of a costume. Being able to use the "closet" anywhere would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. Having a massive amount of room for appearance items would be. Making this the standard size of 800-1000 items would be grand.

If you want to make it a house item, then please make a variety of appearances and introduce several at once. I'd actually really encourage that the method to convert items to appearance only be part of the "closet". Something like a drag and drop interface and a confirmation box. I think one way appearance conversion would be perfectly acceptable.

We've needed this for years. Producers for EQ2 have said they wanted this in the past. Lets finally make this happen.
    Cynara, Karrane, Katz and 4 others like this.
  2. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Applauds! Agrees! +1!
    Karrane, Bregdania and Cloudrat like this.
  3. Foretold Well-Known Member

I don't care if it is just one item with no other appearance options, even if its a big ugly depot like all the other depots.

I need a place to keep my clothes!!

My bank is full of appearance gear. My house vaults are getting there. I have the biggest bags I can buy in the slots already. I need a closet :D

I admit, I have a problem. Please, SOE, enable me!!
  4. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I wish you had phrased that as just "1000 items", instead of the range of 800-1000. I have no other reason for that wish than it would turn the phrase into a subtle pun (because 1000 = a grand). :p

I do agree, however, that it would be nice to have somewhere to store the veritable plethora of appearance items that we get. :)
    Bregdania and Cloudrat like this.
  5. Bregdania Active Member

This is another little topic that pops up every so often and I really hope someone with power can do something about it.
    I've often wondered why we couldn't have a "Wardrobe" tab just like the House Vault. A simple click on the door and there are the slots for the clothing - six slots like the vault and then we could sort them to our hearts delight. Instead of boxes or bags it could be a "new" wardrobe, chest or drawer.
    Hmmm ... now let me see ... this one is shoes - this is cloaks, seasonal garments in here .. oh and dresses here for sure. Now as for those awesome weapons I like the look of - they can go over here. Yeah, yeah - I know ... but you get the idea . So pretty please can we, can we??
    Karrane likes this.
  6. Athenia Well-Known Member

In addition to maybe getting a separate "wardrobe" type thing, I've also wondered if it's in EQ2's coding to do something similar to what FFXIV did and have an "armory" storage area. You carry it around with you, but it's separate from your bags. Essentially in EQ2 we'd have our usual bags, but then also have another "bag" that only holds our gear. May not be possible at all but eh, it's interesting to think about having.
  7. Moneo Member

I would like a head to hang my earrings on. my nice ones I wear on special occasions
  8. Estred Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have thought a lot about appearance jewelry. There would be clipping/floating issues with Necklaces due to Armor Sizes, not to mention races. Rings already are done, but very minimally. I would love earrings though, they could be 100% Rigged to the head and it wouldn't cause animation issues.
  9. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I would like an item to store gear that I like to wear as appearance.

For clarity (for myself) when you/anyone uses the word "appearance" do you mean the gear that is actually tagged "appearance" or are you asking for an item that would store anything you can put in an appearance slot. A lot of folks like to wear actual equipment as appearance.

How would that work? The amount of items in game that have an appearance (actual equipment/actual appearance items) in game I would assume is astronomical. (I've no idea the numbers, and asking about "appearance" because I see this subject come up fairly often and made me curious.)
  10. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

For me, I would think having the wardrobes in game actually work would be ideal. I recall in UO, you clicked a chest or wardrobe and it would hold like 20 or 30 items, give or take (obviously I'd want it to hold more in this game). If we could have some chest/storage looking items in game made 'functional', basically made into a depot for armor, clothes, shoes, cloaks, etc, that would be wondrously nice.
    Finora likes this.
  11. Arastir Member

I've used actual gear as appearance as well. Even if they were only able to make it so that only items tagged as appearance would fit into this "wardrobe", it'd still be a huge help in alleviating my full bank bags. Appearance weapons could also use something similar, given that many of the ToV collections reward these.
  12. Foretold Well-Known Member

I have a lot of gear that I use as appearance. I regularly scour the reaches of Norrath looking for gear that I want for appearances. I'd prefer something that would let me hold regular gear and appearance gear - but like above, I'll take what I can get.
    Bregdania and Finora like this.
  13. Finora Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this myself to SOE people the last time I saw any in person (couple of years ago at Dragon*Con).

It's one of those things they really need to address in some way if they want to keep on with the selling appearance gear for real money and adding new appearance gear as in game rewards.

Possible methods for dealing with it:

In game dressers & what not that actually work for storage like Elder Scrolls games.

A new large 'depot' type storage unit.

A new tab (like the mount tab) to store wearable items.

A method for storing the appearance of an item without actually needing to have the item.

A merchant npc that would take our items & store them until we need them.

The ability to make appearance only items out of actual armor coupled with the removal of attuning from appearance items (that way we could at least move some of it to a mule character, and before someone mentions it, no I don't consider buying unattuners worth it for most appearance items, I'll just keep my items where they are and not buy anything else because of lack of room. I'm not shelling out $3.50 everytime I want to change my pants.)

I'm sure there are more ways it could be handled but I can't think of any atm.
    Bregdania likes this.
  14. Anghammarad Well-Known Member

A wardrobe with several coathangers...

Each Coathanger fits one complete set of clothing...
    How many a wardrobe can hold *shrug* up to 10 sets? with the option to place another one...
    Cynara likes this.
  15. CharbrynEQ2 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see something like Rift's system, where they have a wardrobe tab. This is an old screenshot, because as of now there are many more slots you can unlock, but basically you can save outfits like how they're saved on mannequins (i.e. you drag the item to the slot and don't have to keep the item at that point), and can cycle through your saved outfits. I don't think an exact copy of Rift would work since people could only buy one outfit, never attune it, and share it among their alts to use in the wardrobe, but perhaps if SC is used to unlock additional wardrobe slots they would consider it.

[IMG]
  16. Bregdania Active Member

110% Agree with this - any way they can make it happen would be fantastic.
  17. Bregdania Active Member

This is probably the most valid reason why we need the storage space!!!
    Finora likes this.
  18. Meirril Well-Known Member

The reason I'm asking for a way to convert regular items to "appearance" tagged versions is because of the way the depot stores items now. It appears that items stored in a depot lose most of their individual distinctions. Crafted items lose makers marks. I am lead to believe that depots use a simplified data set and this means things like reforging and maybe even adornments might make these items more difficult to track in a depot type storage.

The depots have massive amounts of storage space, so making allowances to use the depot-type item storage seems like the way to go to make sure people can have several hundred (or even several thousand) wearable items in brand new storage. At the point an item is considered "appearance" the stats on the item shouldn't matter. Adding the "appearance" tag basically says your willing to accept that this item doesn't give stats as long as you can still wear it in appearance slots. As long as we have an ability to convert regular equipment to appearance I think this will work out for everybody. (especially since the adornment dislodgers already do this)

If we could make the depot a bit more complex, it would be nice to be able to save a few items in a favorites tab that allows us to tag a set of items to quickly retrieve from the depot. That would be a lot of extra work and while it might be nice, I think people would rather have the storage quickly and maybe save that kind of upgrade for a later update.
  19. Jrral Active Member

I don't think the depots work quite that way. They're designed to store large quantities of a relatively few items. Think of them like an array, eg. for raws it would be one row per tier and one column per type of raw, with each cell storing an integer quantity. That's a big advantage when the quantity's going to be 4 digits, but how does it work for appearance gear? Just in the marketplace you've got a huge number of items, but you'd only typically have a couple-three of each item in the depot and most of the slots would be zero. Not a huge gain.

What would be nice is a way to "box" sets, like how some armor comes now where you get a crate that you have to unpack to get the actual items. So if I have a complete set of crafted armor, or a complete set of raid dropped armor, let me box it up into a single crate. I'd lose all reforging, all maker's marks, all adornments (either they're lost or they're popped off and dumped in my inventory), and of course I'd need to collect a complete matched set with no pieces missing, but it'd reduce a 7-piece armor set to 1 item to store.
  20. Meirril Well-Known Member

The depots not only allow for thousands of an item to be stored per slot, but they also have several hundred slots. The number of slots is what I am thinking about when trying to pattern storage for appearance items. With appearance items the only information that needs to be retained is the name of the item, the appearance of the item and then any alterations to the base item's appearance (such as custom coloring or if a tile has been applied to the item [which can't be done by players, but is done by devs] ).

I think the system your describing would be very cumbersome. First, it only works for complete sets. It has been notoriously difficult to obtain complete sets of dropped armor. Even crafted armor isn't something that you'd necessarily have complete sets of it as several pieces just don't matter for the sake of appearance. Most boots can't be seen since the pants include the boots. Forearms can hardly be noticed. Several chests pieces include arm appearance. A few arms include gloves.

And for the armor sets that it would work on your talking about creating a new item for each set. Pretty much this couldn't be done by a script, but would need to be hand done. That is a lot of dev time devoted to that project, and I'm sure they will miss sets. Also how would the re-crating mechanic be done? Do you need to add an ability to each armor set (which means creating 8 new items since your altering them), or do you add a tool of some sort? Does the tool work off of a list (which could be mindbogglingly huge), or do you need to add a tag to every item that belongs to a set (which again, means creating 8 new items per set)?

Also this doesn't resolve the space issues, it has the same effect as adding more storage space: it enables people to buy a few more items before it becomes an issue again. I'd like to see a more long term solution.