Anyone else getting a delay in casting lately?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Altho, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Altho Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if its me or the game, I don't really play other online games atm. I have a pretty good delay in casting, I also hit F11 to monitor the connection but I'm not sure what the numbers all mean aside from FPS, and I know that red is packet loss. The red show 1 once in a while but would a 1 really cause this much delay? Things also stutter like the game will freeze a sec then everything catches up and people are in different places all of a sudden.
  2. Svenone Well-Known Member

FPS: the big number. Low numbers are not good. At least 20 is recommended, though some hate to have this drop below around 60. In PQs my old computer can go to single digits and it gets very laggy.
    Ping: more than 200 or 300 is one cause of lag (lower numbers here are better)
    Packet Loss: anything other than 0 is a problem, though an occasional 1 shouldn't be too bad
    Data Transfered: the number of bytes per second that you are receiving from the server. If you have an extremely low-bandwith connection (like dialup low), this could be an issue.
    Altho likes this.
  3. Altho Well-Known Member

But what colors are what numbers, I know the big green is FPS and the packloss is red. Also does anyone know how to do a trace route to see if this is something beyond my control - I got the cable co. scheduled to come out in a few days to rule out them.
  4. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

To look at packet loss, open a command prompt and type

ping -t google.com

If you have a clean connection, all of the lines that follow will be the same or nearly the same. Look particularly at the time=XXms part of each line. If this stays pretty similar you are okay. If this number varies wildly, and especially if you get lines that say something like "Connection timed out," then you've got a noisy connection.

To get out of the ping command, press [Ctrl]+C
  5. Altho Well-Known Member

google pings fine, I ran a tracert and ping on everquest2.com and I'm getting lots of timeouts. I don't know the direct server address to try.
  6. Rolant Active Member

Exactly the same situation here. Other sites ping fine, but everquest2.com times out. The game is pretty laggy (not graphically) and lots of voice stutters. Lag meter shows very erratic pings.
  7. Altho Well-Known Member

You happen to be from the east coast?
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

• tracert lpj.daybreakgames.com
    • pathping lpj.daybreakgames.com
    Pixistik likes this.
  9. Altho Well-Known Member

Ty for the correct addresses it times out for me after the 9th hop, 5 is somewhat iffy as well.