Any way to patch without using the launcher?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Wizx13, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Wizx13 Member

I run Vista and until a few days ago I had no problems. Then I got the launcher error (The procedure entry point K32GetProcessImageFileNameA could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll) and had to start launching EQ2 via the exe file. Now it seems there is a patch that is needed so my version matches the current one.
    So am I just screwed?
  2. Daray Well-Known Member

Pull the update / changed files from another system that the Launchpad does run on?
  3. Wizx13 Member

This is the only computer i have :(
  4. Daray Well-Known Member

Are you saying they added OS version detection to the Launchpad to block updates on Vista and earlier?

Sounds like it could be another issue causing the LP to crash.
  5. 1dvs Member

The login servers are down, i'd just wait until they come back up before trying anything. nobody is doing anything atm
  6. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Not exactly - they updated something in their build process, which either intentionally or unintentionally pulled in a windows 7 requirement. Short version, they somehow got PSAPI bumped from 1 to 2. PSAPI_VERSION=1 will work on windows 2003/xp and up. PSAPI_VERSION=2 requires windows 7.

Intentional? Required? Unintentional? Fixable? Only the launcher devs know for sure.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Feldon likes this.
  7. Ynnek Well-Known Member

You image stripping farking forum... The last post was supposed to contain:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Feldon likes this.
  8. Wizx13 Member

I hope they fix it, if not I guess I will look for a new hobby.
  9. Arandar Well-Known Member

If it's related to just that function, it's not required. I'll bet that they're pulling in a header that is setting WINVER to 0x0601 That's going to cause PSAPI2 to be used, a long with some other Windows 7 (and later) dependencies. All said, though, they have been making it clear for quite a while now that Windows XP and Windows Vista are no longer supported.

Just to be clear, they're not doing an explicit version check of Windows and arbitrarily blowing up the launcher. It's a side-effect of how they're compiling it. That said, they should be performing a version check that so that they could provide the user with a more useful message that informs them the version of Windows they're using is no longer supported.
  10. Arandar Well-Known Member

Or use this as an opportunity to upgrade Windows. You're using a version of the operating system that is absolutely antique at this point.
  11. Wizx13 Member

My computer isn't compatible with Windows 7. I cant afford a new computer atm :-(
  12. Wizx13 Member

So my launcher and game still wont work. Am I done here?
  13. Mysteri Member

I asked this same question a week ago with no response-- is there any way to download JUST the game update without using the patcher? crickets... so I assume from that there is no way or no one knows a way. I did try to "copy" the game from another computer but could not get certain files to copy (got a message during the paste). I have not yet tried to paste this new version onto the old one for fear I would really bork something up.
    Yes we are running old systems, yes we know they are antiques, but there certainly are more people out there than just me and Wizx13 running Vista and XP!
    Wizx13 likes this.
  14. icegator New Member

Same boat here Wizx13 . My computer wont run Windows 7 and cant afford a new one time for another game I guess.
    Wizx13 likes this.
  15. icegator New Member

Funny. My old operating system cant' get me into the game but it still gets me into Day-breaks web site and my account . I can buy station cash, kronos and re-up my yearly sub for the game with vista and ya made sure I could still give you money with it with but I just cant play the game with it.
    Wizx13 likes this.
  16. Spindle Well-Known Member

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...minimum-operating-system-requirements.570095/

If your computer cannot run Windows 7 you are probably having problems with more programs and applications than just Everquest II. If there are computer recycle shops near to where you live check them out. You can find incredible deals at recycle shops for computers that will run Windows 7 and newer. Also Goodwill has computer specific shops with great bargains, too.
  17. icegator New Member

Nope Spindle. every thing else I need runs fine and the game plays great. I made a small purchase form the web site two days ago and can still do so today if they can take my money there with this computer then it should be good enough to play the game Just time to hit the unsubscribe button i guess. Only thing that really bothers me is I have almost 10yrs worth of stuff i wont be able to give to guild mates because I cant log in.
  18. Spindle Well-Known Member

You are very fortunate to be one of the Vista users who can run everything except Everquest II without a hitch.

Sorry to see you leave.
  19. Melt Actually plays the game

Ask for a refund of your yearly sub as your PC cant run the game. Use that <100$ to buy a computer thay can run it. Also, "If I can use your webpage I should be able to play your game." is possibly one of the most moronic argument I've heard in quite a while. They have very different frameworks. You can buy a computer that runs Windows 7 for basically nothing. If you choose to take initiative rather than blame Daybreak for something out of their control, this wouldn't be a problem for you.
    Malleria likes this.
  20. Spofford New Member

This is no different than letting a subscription on the game lapse. Simply put, a "subscription" on a Windows OS needs to be "renewed" when faced with an End of Support deadline. There's no legitimate beef with either Daybreak, or with Microsoft.