Any news when ToT will be F2P?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Xavion, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Can we at least get ToT so then that way people on TLE don't have to buy an expansion on live that they will never play to get specific features?

Given the weapon modifiers shouldn't even be in game to begin with on TLE, but if they have to be there at least let us use them without shelling out even more money on a server we are already required to pay for~
  2. Raff Well-Known Member

If DBC actually "needed" every penny of revenue as you state, then Kander would not have stated that AoM was as far as they were now willing to go with the f2p model. But game play to AoM is an incredibly generous free offering. You get 20 levels in WoW.

I think its far more likely that the game is doing okay financially. No matter what you read in these forums
  3. Xevran Well-Known Member

Yeah I mean it's just my opinion. But if I was in charge of deciding who gets what, I would never in a million years give them ToT because I'd feel that AoM would sell the new expansion better. Plus keeping ToT paid means that you get three expansions for the price of one - though ToT's value is gradually decreasing over time.

I... very much doubt that. F2P is still the norm for the industry, going away from that especially with a game this old wouldn't be very smart. Most companies see free users as potential costumers, and you don't want to tell your potential customers to get out of your store. Too something to keep in mind is that removing F2P would reduce the games population by a significant amount I'm sure, that negatively affects paid subscribers too.

Fact of the matter is, there's no negative to having free to play. Unless they spend exactly $0 which will be the minority, it's nothing but a good thing. There may be a negative to giving them free updates, but there is no negative to allowing them to play the game. And if the F2P users as a whole aren't spending money then the developers are doing something very wrong.
    Adoninilol, Xianthia and Finora like this.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

Sounds like exactly why ToT won't be added to F2P.
    Fistpower likes this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

That actually makes a lot of sense. Don't completely do away with F2P, but turn it into a really robust test drive.
  6. santargria Well-Known Member

IMO AoM being the last f2p xpac seems fine.

As others have said, if one is not willing to subscribe after having played through that much content chances are they never will.

I've never been a fan of the f2p model myself - I do have 3 f2p accts but seldom use them.

I personally have only used f2p (usually a free 30 day sub) to test whether I will subscribe to a game long term.

Within the first 30 days, I can easily tell if I want to subscribe or not - if I choose not to, I move on to another game.

I understand completely how some believe they are not able to afford the $14.95 monthly sub fee - although i find their logic seriously flawed (reasons I've expressed in several other threads - don't buy fast food for a day for example LOL).

I personally would like to see that special sale we had last year which subbed for what $9.95 a month paid advance? I bought 3 of them (letting one expire now) and I'd do it again if that price point was permanent or offered again!
  7. Nero Active Member

It was actually even less then that.

Currently, if you sub for an entire year, you will be billed $119.88, which is approximately $9.99 per month. I'd have to go back and look, but i think last year's sale was for $80 for an entire year's sub... or like $6.66 per month if you paid it all up front.
  8. JoeBoo Member

Last years sale of one years sub for the six month price was great. With 6 accounts between my wife and ,I it was a price savings we would hope to see again, otherwise with the state of the game we probably will not continue playing.
    Prissetta likes this.
  9. Bella222 Active Member

Actually, $8.50 is the cost of a pizza or a movie these days. Just have one less pizza. The price is really cheap for all you get. A Good Buy!
  10. Dude Well-Known Member

Where are you buying pizzas or seeing a movie for only $8.50? Movies are, at least $10 and pizzas are a lot more. Of course, I like lots of stuff on my pizza, so that's partially my fault. :D
  11. Im_Just_A_Lowly_Alt Active Member

Movie tickets in my neck of the woods are only $7.75, or $5 on Tuesdays. Of course if you want popcorn and a drink with that movie you might need to bring an extra couple hundred dollars. :p
    Dude likes this.
  12. That guy. Well-Known Member

One line in a soon buried thread better than putting up an announcement? Of course it is for *****.

Oh, you censor >>D.-.BaG<< now? But it's your companies name!

Also, get a haircut.
    Dude and Castegyre like this.
  13. Leonitas of Potato Situational Awareness

My 2 coppers...testing through AoM and level 100 is an incredible offering. No game i have ever played offers that many levels and expansions worth of free content. If one can't decide by level 100 if they like this game or not, then odds are they could be just playing for free, and looking for more handouts. That's 10 expansions, 3 adventure packs (4 if u count rum cellar, which, far as i recall, was made f2p as well), without requiring a dime. And i am quite sure there are in fact some folks that are strictly looking for free content.
    Dude, Meneltel and Rosyposy like this.
  14. luxxxaeterna Member

In my country tickets on tuesdays are around 4$ and if you get something to drink and eat it would cost you around 8$.For the price of a one month subscription I can go to the movies twice and if I dont spend a single cent for drinks and something to eat thats 4 times.So if I dont feel that I have enough fun with the latest content I would unsub instantaneously. Its not that I dont have the money I am just more willing to spend them on something that I have more fun with.
    Meneltel likes this.
  15. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

THREAD NECRO!!!
    Alenna and Cheallaigh like this.
  16. Malahk Active Member

They were going to have a meeting about this at the corner of Ne and Ver....that's right, NEVER!

Sorry, just watched Mall Cop last night.
  17. Tekka Well-Known Member

Since I don't know what games you've played, or when, I'll chalk that statement up to inexperience.

It might have been true 5 years ago, maybe even 3 years ago. It's no longer accurate, at all.

Mm. Tasty, tasty necro.

(And I do pay a subscription to more than one game that I feel are fun and deliver quality content)
  18. Castegyre Well-Known Member

The worst part of that argument is that it doesn't actually matter how many levels through how many zones of content is offered for 'free' if it's busted and out of date. There are any number of games I can log into right now that, while they may not offer as much content in some cases, at least what they do offer works.

And this game still doesn't offer as much as EverQuest does anyways, so that all by itself shoots that lame argument down.
    That guy. and Rhodris like this.