Any macros that are useful for a mystic?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Katz, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Katz Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remove some spells from my hotbars. Are there any that work well together in a macro that you use?
  2. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

Since one can only use TWO skills per macro, the cost savings on hotbuttons is limited.

I have my mystic's two Target Encounter skills on a single macro,

and on another numerous single-target heals/cures (for main tank use focus)

though sadly, this needs more thought as only about three of the 10 skills seemingly are ever used during combat.
    (balancing the various recast times and such)

Through the use of the rune Reification, this helps the group/target on cures just by casting heals :) which automates aspects of one's abilities.

I hope it is helpful in at least sparking some ideas,...
    Katz likes this.
  3. Ruallin Ebonhammer Active Member

You can have more than two abilities in a macro, but only the first available and last will fire off with one push of the button. You can easily extrapolate that to more, you just need to hit the key again once the second ability has started casting:

1. Cast Group Ward
    2. Cast Single target heal
    3. Cast Single target ward

If you hit the macro once, it will cast 1 and then 3, while 1 is unavailable due to recast timers, hitting the macro would allow a top up heal although the macro would then wait on the recast time for 3 before trying to cast it unless you cast something else in the interim.

Not the best example but the principle can be extrapolated out for larger numbers of spells/abilities.
  4. Katz Well-Known Member

On my warden I have a macro called "single target" and it has a few on it (I think maybe 4). It hits the ones not on cooldown so it does help a bit. I'm just not as familiar with what to use on the mystic.
  5. Melt Actually plays the game

You can have more than 2 skills per macro. A warden in our guild has every single attack she has in one button. You just need to arrange them in ascending cooldown order.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

o_O
    I've never understood why people do this.. it give you little to no control over what you actually cast and it contributes to lag..as the game has to go through each art in the macro until it finds one that is NOT on cool-down.

Two very useful macros for all healers..
    On your group cure and your cure curse add
    /cancel_spellcast BEFORE the cure in your macro. This will make sure that the cures go of right now. Curing quickly is immportant
    Example: There are a number of fights that cause a raid wipe if the curse is not cured fast enough
    Earar likes this.
  7. Melt Actually plays the game

Yeah I never macro stuff... makes no sense to me.
  8. Fleurs Active Member

People do that because we are limited to 10 hotbar. And when you got like 10 spell that do the exact same thing (damage + dot), you don't need that much control over which one you cast.

All the people in my guild that asked me how to do my dmg macro, did so because lack of hotbar room.
  9. Veta Well-Known Member

You can use more than two abilities in a macro. I have multiple macros that consist of 4 abilities and some with items or more. If you put multiple insta-cast/recovery abilities in a macro it will use all of them as well as the cast ability. I have seen people fill a macro with 4+ filler abilities and mash it when nothing else is up and still do great dps.

When it comes to making macros, there is still an efficiency order that needs to be used. Basically set the abilities in the order you would normally cast them and it will work almost just as well as mashing them separately.
  10. Skiasss Member

I use a 1 button macro that casts everything but temps and ascensions but I only use when lag is horrible... And it works perfectly lol
  11. Revanu Well-Known Member

just get ogre to play for you. its what i do
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

I manage just fine with 10 hotbars w/o macroing any, let alone all, of my abilities together.
    Uhm... such buttons actually contribute to lag...
  13. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I use macros. I haven't had lag issues related to their use.

I find it more effective and efficient than trying to deal with 10 full hotbars. Using macros allows me to keep the correct type of spell/CA on the correct hotbar - hotbar one contains ranged spells and hotbar two contains melee spells, for instance. (Most of my attack spells are not macro'd.)

You can actually have up to 25 items in a macro, however I don't usually put more than 5 or 6 into the same macro. Spells need to be arranged in descending order by reuse time, that is, the longest reuse time goes first, next longest second, and so on, down to the shortest which will be last. If there's a spell that needs to precede or to follow another, I create a macro with just these two in their specific order.

One of the best macros I've seen lately (with thanks to Jakaan) is one that refreshes the goblin earring or whatever item you choose:
    1. Create a new macro.
    2. Drag and Drop the goblin earring from your inventory to the Macro dialogue box
    3. Add a Command
    4. Input the following into the command box: /use_equipped_item 11 (Left Ear) or 12 (Right Ear)
    (Each slot has a number)
    5. Drag and Drop the earring you want equipped from your character inventory to the Macro dialogue box

Checking the next to last spell/CA as primary means I can hit that button until it grays out - no need to wonder if everything in the macro has cast yet.

An excellent source of information on macros is this thread:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...acros-and-act-from-the-soe-live-panel.550671/
  14. Melt Actually plays the game

side note, it actually plays mystics perfectly.
    Revanu likes this.
  15. Ryuken Active Member

Put them in order of recast (longest recast at the top) and you can have 10+ skills in one macro.
  16. Mermut Well-Known Member

In solo use or group/raid?
  17. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

yes, having 10 skills on one button is do-able, but obviously takes frequent interaction (read: spam hitting).
    I apologize for not being clear when I stated "TWO," as the meaning I should have added is that two "automated" skill uses. hit the key once, and be guaranteed two skills will fire :)
  18. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Both.
  19. Airvh Active Member

I have one setup I'm not sure if its been mentioned yet.
    Cast: Ancestral Support 30s, 1.5 Casttime and then cast Ritual 30s, Instant Casttime
    Use it each time it comes up and whatever you cast after it either dps or heals will be affected.
    Katz likes this.
  20. Sudedor Well-Known Member

Woops, realize I'm a little late here (been away), but there is some short sighted thinking going on here that seems to be getting parroted. It also appears that we've forgotten about "destroying". Let's chat a bit.

Right up front, let's talk about destroying. It gives you much better control of your macro. The basic premise is that the very last line in your macro is always an ability that every character has called Destroying. Why? Because it creates a macro where only one ability is cast per button press. You won't end up with queued abilities and potentially weird, out of order abilities. You click the macro, and the macro begins casting the first ability it finds that isn't on cooldown. Once it starts casting that, it then starts to parse thru the macro until it gets to the last available ability. The great thing about Destroying is that it's never on cooldown, and casts instantly. Effectively, it ends your macro. Every time you click the button, one ability is cast (assuming no other instant abilities are available) and the macro ends. You have absolute control over the macro. As an example, this is my "Solo" DPS macro for my Mystic:

1. Leg Bite (instant)
    2. Chilling Strike
    3. Plagueish Strike
    4. Chilling Strike
    5. Phalanx
    6. Dazing Bash
    7. Rabies
    8. Wrath
    9. /pet attack (instant)
    10. /merc attack (instant)
    11. Destroying (instant)

Keep in mind, situation is important. I wouldn't use this macro in a Heroic group necessarily, but when I'm on my own, it does what I want in a fairly efficient way.

Now, when you're creating a macro, particularly a DPS macro, there is a lot more to think about than just recast time. You have to know and understand your entire arsenal and create the macro accordingly. Let me give you an example of how there is never one right answer.

You have two abilities:

1. Big Nuke. 100 damage, 1 second cast, 5 second recast. The boils down to 16.6 DPS.
    2. Lil Nuke. 50 damage, 1 second cast, 3 second recast. This boils down to 12.5 DPS.

Which do you cast first? Answer: IT DEPENDS!

If the fight is only one second long, you cast Big Nuke.

If the fight is two seconds long, it doesn't matter at all.

If the fight is five seconds long . . . it gets interesting. The answer is that you cast Lil Nuke, Big Nuke, Lil Nuke. Casting Big Nuke first would mean you only get to cast Lil Nuke once, decreasing your overall damage output. To make it more apparent, instead of saying "If the fight is only X seconds long", say instead "I only have X seconds of time to do damage before I must do something else".

This is what you do as a Priest. You're constantly juggling your responsibilities. There is never one right answer. Understanding the situation is critical to you.

First, you need to know whether your class has any instants. These are abilities where the cast time and recovery are listed as "instant". There aren't many, but there are some. For instance, Shaman have an AA for their pet called "Leg Bite". Instant cast, instant recovery. These abilities are basically a "zero cost" in a macro. If you have instants that you want in a macro, always put them first, since they will always trigger without affecting subsequent abilities in the macro. I know there are other instants out there, you'll need to do your homework to find them.

Since this post is in the Priest forums, I'm going to assume DPS classes aren't reading this. There are a lot of different considerations for DPS classes creating macros. Things like damage per cast time come into play quite heavily. Generally, Priests tend to run out of abilities before they run out of time. We're Priests, we just don't have the sheer volume of damaging abilities that a true DPS class has. For example, Wizards have entire spells that never even get put on a hotbar because they are simply too inefficient in terms of time spent casting them.

Now, the concept that you simply put your spells in ascending order of recast . . . just short sighted. As a Priest, you have other responsibilities aside from DPS to consider that vary from fight to fight. If all you are doing is DPSing, sometimes ascending order of recast is right . . . but sometimes not. You need to know how long the current fight is, how long before the next fight, what will your responsibilities be on each, etc.

For example, by putting things in rote order of ascending recast you can create a macro where some abilities never get used! Top to bottom use right? That is the worst sort of inefficient. If the ability is good enough to put in a macro, you want to see it cast. I mean, in general terms, your longest recast abilities are your most damaging ones. You never want to see your best abilities in a spot where they aren't cast. Likewise, if it isn't good enough, why is it in the macro in the first place, right?

In fights where your time to DPS is short, you "generally" want to cast your highest damage per cast time spells first, since you don't know when you will have time to cast damage again. In fights where you have more time, you want efficiency. Typically, those are two different macros.

The best way to create a macro is to first understand how you use your abilities and then create a macro that mimics that as best you can. You can often get very, very close. Look at all the situations and create macros suitable for them.

Cheers.
    Katz likes this.