Any good reasons to come back and play?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Deornwulf, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Deornwulf Active Member

I started back at launch with a Gnome who wanted to be a Monk. I played off and on for over 10 years but stopped playing a few years ago to spend time playing at Superhero on DCUO.

Considering recent events, I am looking for new intellectual distractions, I have also been considering the cost of my DB subscription (I had an EQ sub before ALL-ACCESS was a thing.) These posts could help me make my decision.

The last time I logged in to play, max level was 100 and Luclin was still just an object in the sky...although the NPCs were beginning to talk about it.

I am looking for honest feedback. Give me your best salespitch or Letterman List on why an old player should consider returning. If you yourself have been questioning the your devotion to the game, explain why. I want to make an informed decision based so I want the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Please direct your posts to this one without engaging in destructive comments directed at others. It's fine to disagree with someone else's opinion but nothing you post will change it so there is no point in flame wars.

Thanks for the information in advance.
  2. Melkior Well-Known Member

That's a lot to ask, I'm not a salesman, and I don't know what you do and don't like in a game. Neither does anyone else here. These forums are literally filled with posts about the state of the game today. Come back and try the game. If you like it stay. If you don't move on to something else. You'll get all the information you need that way.
    It's really that simple.
    Raff and Xianthia like this.
  3. dorotea Well-Known Member

Much has changed - its almost a new game. You don't need to subscribe to play - you don't need any expansions. Reinstall on one of the standard servers (not limited to subscribers) and see if you like it. After years and years of LOTRO I hate to agree with anyone named Melkior but I do.
    DreadRoberts likes this.
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

It depends. Some days this game works great, and other times it sort of works. And sometimes its somewhere in between.
  5. Miroh Well-Known Member

As everyone else has stated, it really depends on what you want and/or expect in a game. What made you leave before and go to DCUO. What made you leave DCUO?

It's not up to us to sell you on a game. It ultimately comes down to you trying it out and finding out if you like it or not.
    Melkior and Xianthia like this.
  6. Twofeets Active Member

I played EQ1 from launch to EQ2. I played EQ2 from launch until 2012-2013. Ive done the 'hardcore raid' thing, the causal thing, and everything in between in that time. My wife and I both play, and after several years away we decided to return to EQ2 at the end of the last expansion.

Is the game still fun? Is it worth returning? There are a lot of factors, both objective and subjective in nature, which can affect your decision but I'll give you our best assessment to date.

There is a lot of fun content in the game, my wife and I enjoyed the end of CD and have so far enjoyed BoL. That being said, it really was a struggle to come back after being gone for so long. We have played on both US and Euro servers, but we came back to the Euro server even though we now live in the US due to play times. We were fortunate to find a home in Absolute Fate, which really helped us get back into the game. A social guild who is willing to help is a MUST for those who have been gone awhile. The unfortunate reality is there are some things in CD that really make a HUGE difference in BoL, especially the 2 blue raid runes. It simply isnt possible to go back and get these on your own, you will need a raid, and without them you will find yourself way behind in fervor.

Another issue is plat, inflation has been completely out of control. Things now sell for millions of platinum, so your choices are either run solo instances (with help) and hope to get lucky on (very) rare rune drops, or buy platinum. In line with this is the premium expac compared to the others, the mount and familiar which come with the premium expac are very hard to do without if you have to raid, or at least give a strong showing in heroics.

If you're able to overcome the hump, get the old CD runes and afford the premium expac and obtain plat, it isnt hard to get back to heroics and raids. If you dont mind playing a VERY casual style, or a class that isnt a make/break DPS class, it's even easier. Is it fun? That all depends on your definition, but on a busy server with a good group, a lot of us still enjoy the game.
  7. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

EQ2's F2P model is so generous, there's little downside (upfront cost) to trying out the game yourself and coming to your own conclusions.
    Geroblue, Raff and Breanna like this.
  8. EmJay Well-Known Member

No, it is not worth your time or money to play this game anymore.
    Brightblade and Rhodris like this.
  9. Lusha New Member

Another option is the Timelocked Server which is where I play with my family. Current capped at 70 with plenty of time to catch up before Kunark comes out in June sometime. The server is very active (Kaladim) with tons of helpful guilds. Some focused on raiding end game and some just focused on having a good time with good people. Plenty of options. Note that you can play on Kaladim without a subscription however.

We have been playing on and off again since beta and will probably continue to do so until they shut the lights off. We find ourselves always wandering back to EQ2. Love housing, love appearance items, love the combat and other animations (motion capture I think?) So many things that keep us coming back.