Another player lost - New/Returning player unfriendliness

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by FuRiouSOne, May 20, 2023.

1. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

2. Celestia Well-Known Member

I suppose I came off as fan girl like about ff14. But as I have said in the other thread we talked about it, it’s a matter of preference. Plus, they do have the duty support system for farming gear with out competing with other players. I have done that in the past. But anyway, I’m sure you have many reasons for liking this game over that one Schmetterling.

But it’s a question that people have asked before (what game is better?) and ff14 is always going to be my preferred choice. Unless of course Pantheon Rise of the Fallen or Ashes of creation FINALLY decides to come out and they deliver. But I don’t see those in the foreseeable future.
  3. Priority Well-Known Member

I have a question.

Why is it only the "best players get to have fun"?

I used to have loads of fun learning the game, running content, failing content, and just getting better. Thats still one of the reasons I still play. I learn something new about my class or develop a skill I didnt have every few months.

Why do you have to walk in and steamroll content for it to be enjoyable? Why should all content be developed that way when some, maybe even most, of us are here to get better and develop ourselves? Where's the growth and challenge for us if all content is designed for casual players to steamroll?

Even casual players can be exceptionally skillful at the game, its not a Do/Do not scenario.
    Feara, Pink Poodle and Aethos like this.
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Yeses Priority there are very skilled casual players, but even SE admitted that it will be really hard for very casual players to finish the final dungeons and that skilled players like you will have a challenge at their hands and those in good raiding guilds will have a fairly easy time to do so , and that's where the having fun comes in.

tasnee, I would love to play with you, I think I too would have fun, I am one of those people who have a hard time to finish those solo instances playing FF14, so I feel about FF 14 the way other people feel about EQ2.
    I have played Runes of Magic for years, giving DB a lot of good ideas;
    And than I played EQ2 for even longer.
    I only played FF14 for about 2 years, it is always hard to get going when your new in an older game.
    My son has a Free company and helps me a lot, (and he makes sure I don't miss good events), to bad I can't just jump in when ever I feel like it, you need a membership too.
    there is one thing I absolutely love about FF14, the dungeon cuing system, now that is something that DB should look into.
    And heck when some day EQ2 goes belly up I might play more FF14, or go back to RoM if that's still on.
    Kattt and Breanna like this.
  5. Celestia Well-Known Member

I will always have a place for EQ2 in my heart. Hell, someday maybe if they fix some things like the gating, maybe I will return. (My friends still hold to the idea that this game needs to die - though, I can't blame them too much.)

I totally agree about the dungeon queuing system, and have high and low players be able to come together and play together without the gate thing. But, I have said certain things before like that. My biggest thing isn't the devs themselves, as others have said some do listen. But a lot of higher ups or something must find this game fine the way it is.

No game is for everyone. And I respect that you feel that way about FF. :)
    Schmetterling likes this.
  6. Taled Well-Known Member

Implementing an updated 'Agnostic Dungeon' kind of thing that utilizes the auto-mentoring system from Kael Drakkel would be fantastic; Especially if it rewarded gear in a similar manner to the KD server but based on your actual level. (That part would be more difficult to implement due to the wildly varying tier options, but give it 10-tier increments or something)
    tasnee likes this.
  7. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

the Agnostic dungeons did award loot to you according to your level as far as I remember but it's been years since I used one of those dungeons.
    On FF14 every dungeon you go to is agnostic for all players but the reward is always the level of the dungeon, but you do get tokens that all levels can use.
  8. Taled Well-Known Member

They do, yes, but I wouldn't want them to waste the time creating new actual dungeons as opposed to just making a carbon copy that automentors/scales players to the correct level (Meaning my L125 can join and be auto-mentored to L70 for that tier instance, for example) and then still reward upgrading L125 loot akin to the Kael loot style.

That way players have a reason to continue doing them, but they wouldn't give the 'best' items, just stuff for more casual players, alts, or bored folks who want something to do and want to help others out.
  9. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

that sounds like I am the first to overlook those max level players for this one time (grins)
    but I like the idea, Taled.
    Breanna and Taled like this.
  10. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

11. Kodamungus Active Member

I haven't fleshed it out completely, but I am convinced that in order to attract and retain newer players while keeping veterans of all degrees of commitment and ability engaged is to expand on what grants current tier currency.

It has been suggested before that old currency should have an exchange rate for current tier mission currency. I like this idea a lot. Sure, a set group of players could spend their time in older content farming currency, but not likely to be a regular thing because they'd miss out on spending that time in current tier content. So I wouldn't grant L125 loot directly for doing the mentored content, but would incentivize people to run with currency exchange opportunities.

People have different play styles and time commitments, so the portion of players at max level who do spend a lot of time in the game would be around to help lowbies still growing until their other max level friends are available to do current tier content. It sucks when people have to miss a week or more of weekly quest runs because of real-life obligations or distractions without a way to play catch up to stay on track for getting the ultimate rewards for that currency. Allowing opportunities to earn some extra mission currency outside of current content would be great. Even if doing so allows the high play time players to accumulate mission currency faster than only getting it from the current system, that's a welcomed exchange for them helping newer players to grow and enjoy the game.

The reality is that the high volume max level players are going to get the required mission currency for meta loot fastest anyway, so who cares if they get it a month or 2 sooner than the current design anticipates? If putting a progression gate on a specific piece of loot is so important, the devs should treat it like the current weapon quest so that specific kills are required to loot an item to update the progression quest. We've already had meta items require flags from content released later in an expansion before so a lot of the safeguard requirements for a viable exchange program are already in place.

The one pitfall I can see is them not wanting characters that already have large stacks of old currency trading it in to bypass the need to help others. A possible solution for that is to grant exchange currency from previous tier missions that has to be traded in with the old currency to get the current mission currency. With each expansion release, exchange currency can be wiped leaving the native currency for each expansion on the character that earned it.

Just a thought...
    Taled likes this.
  12. Celestia Well-Known Member

Haha, that is pretty funny, thanks for sharing.
  13. Sunlei Well-Known Member

I think Live servers above lvl 100 EQ2 should be renamed EQ3.....
    Tkia likes this.
  14. Geroblue Well-Known Member

When I buy new expansions, I use the new high level token to get one character on that account up. Then I use that character to get things for the other characters. I just stay away from upper level quests/zones, etc. Unless I'm working on pack pony.

I talk/post in these forums, but I think in the past 4 years... only one or two players stopped and asked me anything in-game. That was it. More, about 5 or so, have stopped near my character, I presume to do an Inspect, and said nothing and left.

As for info on how to play, I come here, or to the Wiki.
    Breanna likes this.
  15. Arclite Well-Known Member

one of the many reasons the game has been bleeding players over the years are as follows:

1. Absurd itemisation with devs refusing to do anything about it. Resolve has killed any semblance of systematic progression of gear. Fabled/Mythical - once touted as a way to show of your hard work has lost all its meaning.

2. Class balance - or lack thereof - promised for years and never delivered upon.

3. Needless grindy mechanics (mercs, familiars, mounts, spell research) that either forces to be patient enough to rely on RNG or fork out money to fast track

4. Someone thinks adding more numbers translates as fun or endgame being more relevant...its not.

5. Devs not playing the game to understand what they design and how it impacts player satisfaction.

6. Eq2 identity crisis where devs have borrowed a lot of ideas from other mmos (some were nice) but lost what made eq2 great in the process.
  16. Ichoris Well-Known Member

Agree with all. A few more comments:

1. Items - I also hate all your hard work collecting gear is gone next expac - there will be a lock box with gear to get you started. This is always better than what you already had. This gets rid of all sense of gear progression across expacs.

2. Class balance was one a very few things listed as a feature a few expacs ago - it never happens. Promised for years. They need to get rid of half the abilities and spells. Many almost do the same thing. Streamline the whole skill/spell lines. Fix all the stat bloat. When people are begging to add commas to numbers because it's hard to read you have an issue.

3. The grindy mechanics are to force you to spend real money - that is the reason they are there - as a paying sub it's an insult. These types of timers are mostly on Free To Play games. Which I totally understand since they need to make money somehow. Not for a game with paid expacs and monthly subscription and a cash shop.

5. I don't think many devs play the game. If they did they would understand the pain many of the changes they make cause. The latest Over Seer item problems with no stacking and now being Heirloom for example. Inventory management was hard and now it's even worse. I just started throwing most items away so I don't have to deal with it. It's not fun. The delisted of broker items is another. It's a pain and not fun. They still haven't even explained that one.

I would add a #7 which is lack of quest content and content in general. The game has QUEST in the name. I miss the old expacs where we would get lots of quests and lore. Now there are very few. Zones that reuse old assets. Very dungeons now. I miss real dungeons. I don't count walled off overland reused zones as dungeons. The idea that content is running the same zones to collect gear that will be outdated once we open the lockbox in the next expac.

I still like the game and I'm happy to get new content. So kudos to to the devs for that. I really miss the lore and long quest lines and content from past expacs. When was the last time we got a heritage quest line for example? I do appreciate that they have added new content to many of the in game events. Those have been fun an very welcome.

It would be awesome to skip an expac and fix many of those old problems and just the foundation of the game. Get rid of all the stat bloat, fix the classes. Address all the common problems the player base has. Solve some of the complaints that keep coming up from players over and over.

I'm guessing the financials don't work if they don't ship a new expac every year. I'm glad the game is still here. It's sad that it seems we lose players every year. Would be great if we could keep them and get new players that like the game and will stick around.
  17. Feara Well-Known Member

I actually have this buried in my gaming chest. It's cool you posted this for others to see.
    Thank you.