Another nail in the DM Coffin

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Apoole, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Apoole New Member

1st they try and "fix" the way experimental gear works which basically kills the experimenting market because some found a novel way to gain XP at the expense to no one but themselves..

Now we have

DUNGEON MAKER
    • Vitality will now be consumed while doing a Dungeon Maker dungeon.
    Is SOE trying to kill off the Dungeon Maker?
    Guiscard likes this.
  2. Feldon Well-Known Member

They could just fix the bugs with Vitality that cause it to evaporate after 15 minutes of gameplay at levels 20-50 yet see it last 8-10 hours at level 80-95.
    Guiscard and Terein like this.
  3. Lempo Well-Known Member

I'm glad that they did this, I started a thread about it after the experimental gear nerf.
    They are at least being consistant.
    The only reason anyone would even care about vitality being used in the DM is if they were taking advantage of the vitality applying to the whole run. The DM already consumed vitality it just did it at the end so you could go into a dungeon chock full of mobs and get the equivalent of a full bar of vitality, a toke off your orb of concentrated memories, and 5-6 more vitality pots.

The concept of the DM was not so bad in itself, it was the implementation, that horse died not too long after it was released.
    If you enjoy designing the dungeons you are unaffected by this, if you enjoy running the dungeons you are also unaffected by this.
    If you enjoyed running the dungeons and getting the benefit of an extreme amount of vitality every hour well that ship has sailed.

This is not even an issue in any form, it does not even compare to them removing the EXP/body drops from mobs that to complete a zone you have no choice but to fight.
  4. Taladorm New Member

Still putting nails in? I thought the coffin was well buried by now.

Since the patch notes didn't mention it I am guessing that you still receive no marks/exp unless you exit the dungeon through the proper exit. So now if you happen to go LD or can't reach the exit you get no rewards, waste your time, and now burn your vitality.
    Guiscard likes this.
  5. Lempo Well-Known Member

The way vitality works is when EXP is rewarded vitality is reduced, so I would imagine that you get EXP as you progress through the DM zone.
    If you go LD or don't hit the exit you don't get the marks as a reward. This could actually be seen as a slight improvement.
    I don't know how it could work any other way.
  6. Grumble69 Member

Consistent? DM mobs have horrible xp compared to a regular mob, especially given the other conditions that prevent farming. The vitality was one little bonus that was offset by a crapload of other bad effects that you don't see in other zones. It wasn't hurting a thing.
    Guiscard likes this.
  7. Rolaryn Active Member

YES>
    HEY lets take something that is NOT as popular as we want to be, and TAKE OUT the few things that make it a good alternative to XPing in the zones...Wait WHY ISN'T IT POPULAR YET????
  8. Lempo Well-Known Member

They fixed something that was being abused, the abuse of the vitality on the hour every hour was not how it was intended to be. You just don't like the fact that you are not able to abuse this anymore. The DM was not put in to be a good alternative to XPing zones it was put in as a diversion, a timesink for players to take a break from the regular grind and for decorators to have more content.
    Nothing was changed that would discourge the use of the DM by anyone except people that were abusing the vitality mechanic in there.
    Elostirion and Estred like this.
  9. Grumble69 Member

No. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. It was only abusable when the dungeon was set up for a mass slaughter of 1000s of mobs. Yeah, you could pick up a nice chunk of extra xp every hour. BUT the xp was falling like manna from Heaven, so it didn't really matter whether you had the vitality or not. Nobody cared about the vitality.

Sure, under today's normal conditions (slow kills), it could be "technically abused". But regular dungeons aren't loaded to the gills like they were a couple of months ago. You would get lousy xp and the vitality "flaw" would turn it into something mediocre.
    I don't know of a single person that was going to DM when their vitality ran out to try & beat the system.

Personally I could care less about this change. I'm not trying to defend an "exploit". There's way too many other spots that are better for level'n than DM. The only thing that irks me about the change is that they keep strangling the life out of DM. I agree it could be a good diversion if the devs spent less time nerfing out piddly-squat issues and focusing on adding more resources for the players to develop their dungeons. And this vitality issue was pretty piddly-squat.
  10. Lempo Well-Known Member

Actually the poster I replied to is making a mountain out of a molehill, and anyone that won't run it because of this change obviously only cared about the vitality.

The rest of your post I mostly agree with, there are far better places to get EXP and when you go to them your vitality is consumed at the same rate as it is in the DM. I don't really think that any dev time spent on the DM is well spent, unless it is going to be upgraded to allow for pathing, scripting etc. I don't have the hard numbers (nor does anyone ITT) but I just don't think there is a large enough segment of the playerbase that wants to run the DM.
  11. Koleg Active Member

Hey Lempo ... I haven't been in a DM zone since the day it relaucnhed, but have you tried to test if toons parked at the enterence get full XP rewards when the zone is cleared by a PL'er when everyone zones out? It just guessing here .. but in SOE's haste to "Fix" the group XP bonus, lolz hahahalol, err group penalty and considering when XP is rewarded in a DM zone, that there very well could be a programmitcal discrepancy. Might be fun to test it with a few toons and see.
  12. Lempo Well-Known Member

Nope I haven't tested since the vitality fix if that is what you mean, but when the experimented gear was going on you could leave a toon parked there. There are no encounter bonuses anyway in the DM so whether the toons park at the front or creep along behind or contribute wouldn't make much difference (unless I misunderstand you)

I'd test it if it were not for the fact that it isn't the least bit fun, at least to me in any of it's 'forms' so far, the experimented gear exploit behavior was funny, the unlimited target AOE exploit feature was funny too, but they were not fun at all IMO. ;)
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  13. Rolaryn Active Member

Thats the dumbest Ive ever read.Hell, you could take that logic and say "why do you get TSXP, tradeskill is just " a diversion, a timesink for players to take a break from the regular grind and for decorators to have more content."

If they weren't meant as an alliterative there wouldnt be any xp and aa rewarded by doing them. They were created as a way to make your OWN dungeons, an alternative for regular dungeons...and dungeons are most definitely an alternative to standard XPing.in the zones. The decoration aspect is separate from the XP aspect. Some people like to solo in DNs as an ALTERNATIVE to regular zones, because of the XP/AA you get. And constantly running SOLO DMs to get dmarks to improve your OWN dungeon with mobs is by no means ABUSING anything at all.
  14. Lempo Well-Known Member

I never hinted that it was, I never even suggested that it was. The mechanic was being abused by SOME and it was fixed. In no way, shape, form or fashion was the legitimate use of the DM infringed at all by the vitality modification. Is that too much for you to comprehend? Why should the DM award you XP vitality bonus for the equivalent of 25K adventure exp when if you were playing traditional dungeons you would only get vitality bonus on say 7K of the adventure experience you earned out of that 25K?

I didn't say the DM was not an alternative to earning XP, I said it was not put in to be a GOOD alternative, and stand by that.

I know you are upset that you no longer get the equivalent 200-500% adventure vitality for the no effort kills in there, but face it the days of you exploiting the DM vitality 'bug' are gone, so QQ about it all you want.
  15. Rolaryn Active Member

those are good points. I never thought of the "bug" as a bug, i figured it was that way to get more people to play DM, by not having a Vit hit.