An idea, JUST an idea

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-sayitaintso, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-sayitaintso Guest

This was brought up in the temp forums and I thought it was a reasonable idea so I am requesting it.. Please give us keyword filters so we can block /tells with our keywords in them...SOOO when specific plat sellers send out their spam with their URL in them we can block them by adding the URL to our filters... Therefore those who want to recieve the spam can, and those who think it's rude can block it completely..
  2. ARCHIVED-Zarador Guest

Totally agree on that, it would solve quite a few problems with the spamming which has got quite anoying as of late. Something like an ignore list with keywords able to be added by users as suggested
  3. ARCHIVED-valkyrja Guest

We shouldn't even have to do this, they should be doing in on the SOE end. There is no legit reason for plat site URLs to be used in any for of chat, so it wouldn't hurt anyone.
  4. ARCHIVED-Nethos Guest

5. ARCHIVED-Zarador Guest

I think I'm confused?
  6. ARCHIVED-EtoilePirate Guest

That's like saying there's no reason for me to set up my spam filters on any of my e-mail accounts to block the words "credit" and about 15 terms related to pharmaceuticals and male anatomy. Sure, the providers of my services can do a bit, but the burden is also on me to block what I can using the tools I'm given. Now, that said, the in-game chat setup isn't really sophisticated enough to give us those tools. But it's nice to imagine what the future might hold. ;)
  7. ARCHIVED-sayitaintso Guest

No actually she has a good point..If SOE were to set filters and not allow the URLS that we ALL know are the biggest culprits so that they could no longer be sent in tells, NO ONE would get the spam....What are they going to do? Go buy another domain? SOE can add URLS for free...Domains are not...
  8. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Domains in bulk often are very cheap. The cost of the domain depends entirely on the registrar.
  9. ARCHIVED-EtoilePirate Guest

And aliases are free. Since they aren't actually active links in in-game chat, just text that says http:// whatever, it'd be easy enough for anyone who wanted to circumvent a filter to link to any of a zillion aliases for a single site. (Think of tinyurl, or so on.)
  10. ARCHIVED-sayitaintso Guest

Yeah, but SOE can add as many keywords to a filter as they want. The first time they get a /report with a new URL, they just add it...The plat spammers can get unlimited URLs..
  11. ARCHIVED-Zarador Guest

I won't claim to know anything about the setup of filters, but could you not allow a filter option that allows you to block tells with .com in them? I'm sure they would at some point type out dot.com but it would be a start. Were already accustomed to using /ignor, I doubt we would mind it much if we had to type /block and the text, like /Block GMsleeze (I refuse to even mention their site name) so any spam from GMsleeze is ignored?
  12. ARCHIVED-EtoilePirate Guest

But in the long run, that's still a reactive rather than a proactive solution, and the player base will keep complaining that SOE doesn't act fast enough / enough at all. I'm not entirely disagreeing that some kind of filtering system is a bad idea -- but it would have to be much cleverer than just a keyword or ten thousand keywords.
  13. ARCHIVED-Zarador Guest

Wish I knew how to edit....sorry I was also thinking how much better it would be if it could even be done on the CS Side... Player petitions or reports /come to GMsleeze for the best in 3rd world labor providing you with cheap goods and plat....blah blah blah CS Types in /Block GMsleeze All messages that include GMsleeze are blocked Serverwide. Do this effectively for a long enough period of time and it's no longer a profitable enterprise for GMsleeze
  14. ARCHIVED-Kaetlyn Guest

[p]OMG, I'm am sooooo sick of logging in for some fun and getting spammed with tells from these plat sellers. I can't get mail in my character mailboxes because they're spammed with advertisements from plat sellers. I've never had my gameplay affected by this this badly....and it's gotten tons worse lately. Whatever is being done...is NOT working. I'm not surprised that many are leaving EQ2 to go elsewhere to play games, hugely because of this. Exp botting is done all over, and even after multiple /reports, they're still allowed to continue. I guess our only options if we can't beat them....is to just make our own bots and join them, since it seems to be a "legal" thing to do. [/p][p]This is the sound of disgust....and frustration :([/p]
  15. ARCHIVED-Sebastien Guest

That's a great idea.
  16. ARCHIVED-Norrsken Guest

[p]I want a /ignoreaccount command. So I can block everything from a specific account.[/p]
  17. ARCHIVED-Yax Guest

The problem with keyword filters on SOE's side is that they'd have to be very careful not to add too general terms so that valid tells and mails aren't affected. It also opens up a whole can of worms concerning privacy if SOE starts monitoring tells and chat channels actively.