an eye for power

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Ardrek, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ardrek Member

just gave up on this STUPID quest.
    I've done a few heritage quests before and liked them but this one was just stupidly hard.
    i'm not talking about some super hard 20x raid bos ... it was much worse.

the non-spawning named NCP!
    followed the wiki ( which has lead me wrong before )
    killed tones of frostborn for about an hour at the two spawn points and the named frostborn never showed up.

I'm sorry but if a segment in a quest ( this was just 1/3 of this part of the quest chain ) can't be finished in 30 min it's just STUPID. none of the other quest chains used this tactic or I never would have started it in the first place. finding the 1 pixel sized eggs in the snow was bad enough.
  2. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

Just wait until you try the Lavastorm heritage quests, if you haven't hit them already.

Heritage quests are meant to be more difficult than normal quests. Most of them used to be a lot more tedious (Raman'ai and Billy in Nektropos Castle come extremely vividly to mind). The minotaur, and webclaw, are not non-spawning. They are simply more difficult to get up, and require more rounds of clearing, especially if other people happen to be farming them as well. Sorry you had so much difficulty with this one.
  3. Lempo Well-Known Member

A whole 30 minutes? Really? thats 1800 seconds for crying out loud! I bet you still have back problems. :rolleyes:
    Every HQ in the game used to require more time dedication than that, most don't.

TLDR version

3 words
    World of Warcraft = Mindless ease and a total lack of immersion.
  4. Zannah Active Member

30 minutes? One of the mobs required for a Lavastorm HQ used to spawn once every 24-48 hours. This was back in the day when everybody did these quests, so you can imagine the fight over that one spawn. Missed it? Tough luck, wait another day or two and cross your fingers that you'll pull it faster than the competition.

You think waiting an hour for Frostburn is stupid? Try waiting several hours, with multiple competing groups surrounding you, and when Frostburn finally spawns, so does the epic x4 roaming Seraph of Stags who promptly kills most of the nearby players and then aggroes and kills Frostburn. That's right, the mob you were waiting for so long just got ganked by another mob. That's what it was like doing that HQ in the old days, the way it was intended to be done. Now, for alts I do appreciate that the HQs have been made more user friendly over the years, but it's so trivial now that it's almost pointless to do. There's no achievement in it.

I'm pretty sure I've said this to you before, but if you don't like the way the old quests - in particular the Heritage Quests - are designed, there's approximately 3000 other quests in this game that you can do. So go out there and have fun with them instead of banging your head against long spawn timers.
  5. Gilasil Active Member

I did this quest on an alt a few weeks ago. While it was a bit more boring them some heritage quests it was NOT out of line at all. If you don't want to wait 30 minutes log off that toon and come back later. Maybe you'll be lucky. I've done that a few times when I needed a rare spawn and often it worked. Just log on, check, and if it's not there play another toon for awhile.

Or just kill everything nearby and keep killing it, which is what I think I did in that case. Also, since it's in a contested zone, keep a sharp eye out so that the instant it spawns you can snag it (you don't want some powerleveler to grind it up just for some tiny amount of experience).

Heritage quests SHOULD require more out of a player then just run of the mill quests. While I love them; others don't. that's fine. You don't have to do them.

P.S. I always make it a point to do heritage quests when they give experience. Preferably when they're yellow. If you do it while it's not grey you can always wait just by grinding the stuff nearby. There's certainly a lot of it in that case. That's actually kind of the way we used to wait for rare spawns in EQ1. Go to the spawn area and grind mobs until the rare spawn popped. Except back then we had to bring a group.
  6. Ranga Active Member

Whilst there is no way to speed up the spawning of the 3 NPCs, there is a way to locate the eggs without going mad. Gnomes are the way forward.....
  7. Ardrek Member

the sad part is he's been up 24x7 since I gave up on that quest :mad:. Every time I go by he waves at me... or is that the bird.
  8. Ardrek Member

I chose 30 min because it's not the first time I've been stuck on a mindless quest that can never be finished. My first was trying to learn the language of the giants at level 21 or so, I spend 4+ hours and totally out leveled the zone ( I think I gave up at level 28) ... never did learn the language. I was in the Thundering steppes and pretty much couldn't kill stuff without friends along and we pretty much wasted an afternoon getting squat for our efforts. I could have been questing on quests worth finishing. I was also trying to finish some other quest that I had got that said the Giant's would drop ( an axe or something ) and I never finished that quest either. Trust me, there are a lot of other things to do in the game that are more fun that farming some endless quest. ( it's just frustrating to find out the quest was never intended to be finished ).
  9. Lempo Well-Known Member

EVERQuest - I mean I don't understand how you can feel that you had the wool pulled over your eyes.

Seriously though instead of just some inane rambling how about specifying what quest was never intended to be finished.

Learning the language of giants is not that bad and it never was, now there are certain things that could hold you up, such as having one of the quest starters in a bank or vault bag, but simply asking in chat would have at a minimum gotten you advice to check that first. A great majority of the population KNOWS that, mainly because in one way or another they have been bitten by it or know someone who has.
    I can remember doing an eye for power, we killed mobs out in Everfrost for hours and hours and hours I think it took over 6 hours to get him to spawn, we chatted about ourselves while doing it.
  10. Ardrek Member

lol, silly me. I feel so much better now that you put me in my place.

I honestly don't see why they would pay the programmer for writing such terrible quests, I like to try to finish all quests but what's the point of finishing grayed out quest that you have out leveled for no other reason than just plain forced farming (the non-spawn or non-drop). You never know when a quest is going to be one of these until your stuck on it. I would rather use the dungeon finder or skip to another quest. Gratz on enjoying the 6 hour farm... I hated it and wished CoH was still around to play.