Allow Epic 2 spells to be crafted with BoL materials

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Ryve, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Ryve Ryver'Fish

Firstly let me start with, thank you for adding the Enlightened Abilities book (Epic 2 spells) to the BoL merchant. It is such a huge help to those returning to the game. :)

Could we please amend the recipe, or add an alternative version that allows the spell upgrades to be crafted/commissioned using BoL materials?

The recipes currently requires rares from KA. To obtain these materials you must go back and complete the KA questline to see the special node (which only has 2 nodes up). This is a significant block for returning players, or those who may have main changed and require upgrading spells.

There is no doubt that they should require an element of rare materials but allowing current content rares to be used would really help.

Thanks,
    Ryver'Fish
    Whilhelmina, Flatline and Tangris like this.
  2. Flatline Well-Known Member

This please :)
    Ryve likes this.
  3. Hechada New Member

agreed
    Ryve likes this.
  4. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Hopefully next expansion they just grant everyone who hits level 110 ancient versions of the spell. Happens with epic 1.0 at level 80 so don't see why they cant just grant us epic 2.0 by now. Albeit 2.0 is still useful while 1.0 isnt for most classes.
  5. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

Agreed. I wasn't around during KA nor Thalumbra. You need both timelines to go in the zone as a crafter and running both back to back, from experience, is really painful (seeing the nodes is tied to having the AA unlocked but with no easy way to travel there it's not really useful).
    I have mats, crafted most of my spells with them (got some help from Niami after a while) but stuff useful to craft now should have the option to be crafted with current mats too, instead of 5-years-old mats (same goes with Epic2 and red poisons).
    Ryve and Spindle like this.
  6. Ryve Ryver'Fish

We struggle catching returners up.... It would just be so useful to have the option to use KA/Current materials.

Pretty please!
  7. EmJay Well-Known Member

I'm hoping they just phase out the epic 2.0 spells completely. Carrying forward four year old content is just stupid. Give us upgrades instead.
    Argosunited likes this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

(1) The recipes for all the Epic 2.0 spells are in the Awakened Abilities recipe book.

(2) These recipes require Fragments of Planar Energy, and running the Overseer missions gives you TONS.

(3) The other components for Epic 2.0 spells are KA rares, which you can get simply by flying around and harvesting in Obulus Frontier. There are no commons, so you just use Find Harvestables ability and harvest. Or, if you have the Gathering Goblin's plant from the KA questline, check it daily and you'll get a rare. Or you can buy them on the broker.
    Jrox, Dude and Breanna like this.
  9. Observing Active Member

Just no.

I would encourage you to put in due diligence before asking devs to change something that does not need to be changed based on your inaccurate assumptions.

The only requirement to enter the zone and harvest them yourself is a level 100 crafter with all tradeskill prestige points spent. No timelines needed. Far more than 2 nodes can be up, around 10-12 max.

If that requires too much of you then buy them on the broker as Sigrdrifa suggested.
  10. Ryve Ryver'Fish

Wow, back down there was utterly no need to be rude.

My only apology is the name of the book, my bad it had been a long day at work.

Yes the Epics are crafted using planar fragments, I didn't mention these as they are fairly abundant in the reward table from overseers.

The remaining materials are KA rares, that come from a special node, to see those nodes you had to have completed the KA crafting line.

You are correct that if you have the house plant you may get lucky and get some from that, however that is part of the KA questline ... so returners are unlikely to have access to this.

If a spell from KA is still relevant today then it either should be purchasable at Ancient level on the status merchant and not apprentice - requiring current content questlines to be completed and current currency OR it should be craftable using current harvesting materials.

As for purchasing on the broker, my server does not have ALL of the rares listed and the ones that are are incredibly expensive. It takes 36 rares + planar fragments to level up 1 epic spell.

So it would benefit from changing with either of the options above, if we are going to actually support catching returning players up.

FYI - I;m not a returner, I've done all of the questlines but I play with alot returning who are struggling.

Ryver'Fish
    Mermut likes this.
  11. Daryx Well-Known Member

I verified that you do not have to have done the KA lines. I have a character 120 tradeskiller who has done neither of the Kunark Ascending lines. He was able to track and harvest the shadeweave nodes in Obulus Frontier with no issues.

Those spells were introduced with KA so I don't see there really is any reason to ask for the resources to be changed other than convenience
    Kuulei, Dude and Xianthia like this.
  12. Daryx Well-Known Member

I also tried it on a level 110 who is a 100 carpenter, and has not done either of the KA quest lines, and he also had no problems seeing the nodes and getting a rare on the first pull.
    Kuulei, Dude and Xianthia like this.
  13. Xianthia Well-Known Member

You only need to be a level 100 crafter and have the aa point into mystical harvesting to see the nodes. You don't have to have done the crafting quest line (although depending on your level it may be beneficial, as the gobbies will be aggro until you do some stuff to get them to like you).
    Kuulei and Dude like this.
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Also, doing the KA tradeskill questline and getting the Gathering Goblin as a merc means that you then get a really nice harvesting buff when you use the old summon spell for the goblin.
    Breanna, Kuulei and Xianthia like this.
  15. Observing Active Member

You are just wrong here. Three people have had to correct you in this thread.
  16. Jrox Well-Known Member

If your taking out the Illy cloak, you should remove anything from KA!!! MY TWO CENTS. REMOVE it ALL!!! Don't care if you can get it. It should be obsolete like everything else fun from days gone by... :p
  17. Zell Member

you do realize what they will do right, 150 uncommon lunar material per alternate Enlightened Abilities recipe. yea that's right i'm 100% if they add alternate recipes for BoL harvests to make them they will do just that.
    Sigrdrifa and Lateana like this.