Advice on 2 box, to PL or not?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Sourlollies, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Sourlollies New Member

Hi,

I decided to start 2 new characters on live since I've been away for 5 years.
    Originally I wanted to heroic boost my level 1 SK to 120 and use him to PL my other toon (is this a viable option or should I just level them together fresh?)

If I decided to heroic boost, where would one go to PL?

Thanks for any info :)
  2. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

2box? PL?
    I'm feeling old for being uncertain on what those mean, though I am guessing 2box means two accounts played simultaneously which is what I do most of the time in order to get through the dailies faster. My brain is struggling to figure out what PL means, and I am certain it will totally make sense when you tell me, so forgive my ignorance; is that the same as mentoring?

That being said, my take on playing 2box is that I enjoyed taking two brand new level 1 characters in at the same time. It made them seem more like a pair of friends going on an adventure. Plus, I got to know each character's abilities as they develop in ways that level boosting skips out on.

But there are advantages to having at least one level boosted character. Using the LB'd character will definitely shorten the amount of time spent fighting enemies. Additionally, if you are into crafting, the LB can protect you while harvesting for Qho's obsession, again, if you want to get that done faster than what harvests are around "safe" areas in zones that are higher level to your character.

The question you have to ask is do you want to take it slow and really get to know both your characters, or do you want to zip through the fights?

Of course, your SK does not have to begin as a boosted character. LB'ing can be done at any level. So start them both at level 1, play a few levels to see how that feels. Then if not going fast enough or too frustrated, LB will still be an option.
    Twyla likes this.
  3. Vlahkmaak Active Member

If you use the boost, you must run the sig lines to lvl at 120. You cannot grind XP anymore (unless you want to grind for years). They unfortunately killed that aspect of the game imo. I forget where it actually starts but grinding becomes impossible at a certain point and running the sig line is required beyond that point. I box through the sig lines for the last few xpacs and it is easy enough to max lvl quickly that way.
  4. Almee Well-Known Member

I box my characters to help lower-levels through to lvl 90. At that point, it is all about questing so boxing isn't much help. I either shell out for a 120 buff or do all the time-consuming, and often frustrating, quests.

I think they switched granting xp from mobs, to quest completion, to keep people from power leveling. I'm not sure that actually turned out the way they envisioned as a lot of players left the game. I personally find most quests tedious and group-unfriendly after lvl 90 though the VoV ones are pretty good but still not nearly as group friendly as pre-90 quests.

I personally love to harvest, kill anything that gets in my way, and move on. Unfortunately, that doesn't do much for leveling so I usually do the quests to max level and then go back to harvesting, crafting, and decorating as soon as I can. I'm missing out on some zones, as a result, but the game isn't friendly to alts now so I have to make a choice. If the quests are straight-forward, I'll do them. If they are needlessly complicated I'll pass.
    Feara and Vlahkmaak like this.
  5. Bramdar Active Member

I've PLed several characters to 125 on my second account. It's definitely slower from 90 to 100, but it's still very easy to do in Highkeep Contested and in the Chains of Eternity heroic zones, as some examples. If your main character is level 120+, you'll easily handle most (or all) of those zones.

Once you hit 100, though, there's only one option: the Plane of Magic questlines. There are 3 factions, so you can do each faction's quests for some variety, but 100-110 is a faction grind and there's no avoiding it unless you boost. After 110 you have some options, and the levels do go very quickly.
  6. Feara Well-Known Member

Since you're all in here anyway can you answer some questions on two boxing. I've never done it.

1) can this be simply done with one computer?
    2) do you find it more tedious?
    3) do you recommend a free account or paid account for both?
    4) why do you love it and what is your favorite aspects of two boxing?