Advice for someone new to RP?

Discussion in 'Roleplaying' started by HaphazardAllure, Dec 18, 2014.

1. HaphazardAllure Well-Known Member

I've loved to write since I was a little girl. Over the past few months I find myself possibly wanting to get involved in trying to RP some of my Eq2 characters. Do any of you seasoned RPers have any advice for someone wanting to take the plunge and get involved in RPing? I know that's a pretty broad/vague question, but any and all advice or suggestions would be welcome. Thank you. :) My characters are all on AB server just FYI.
    ConcealFate likes this.
  2. Sibelle Member

My suggestion to new people is that you not be afraid to say that you are - which you have covered. Most and I really do mean most people are willing to help you along with things that are not spelled out obviously. Etiquette rules and the like. But the easiest format for that is a guild, you get to know some people well and they know you and a lot are willing to work with newbies at RP.

I'm posting a link to a thread on Raven-Mythic which is a RPing community that spans across EQ2 and other games. But mostly started in EQ2. It's an old thread but there is good info there. Although it may be high time to write up more current stuff. It's also a site that is more active, full of veteran RPers who generally dole out advice like it's candy. Because we're always happy when the RP scene gains new blood.

But also..get multiple opinions and if RPing with somebody.. it's always a good idea to ask about their feelings about things. Some people are squeamish and may not really love to hear your detailed portrayal of froglok dissection. Others may be totally cool with that. An easy thing to forget is that behind every evil mastermind and goodly knight is a person who could be -nothing- like the character they play. So even the most vile necro may never actually go into gorey details because IRL that person faints at the sight of blood, so on and so forth.

http://www.raven-mythic.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=17636

It should go without saying but if you need someone to toss questions at while you start getting your feet and I'm online - I am happy to answer to the best of my ability. I do not know a lot of 'current' community things, like all the active guilds and which ones are the most willing to help you out because I just came back to the game after a 2 year absence.. But I have been roleplaying for years and years, and a lot of that time was spent on AB where I started to RP "for real" for the first time.
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  3. HaphazardAllure Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the great info Sibelle! I'm reading a bunch on the Raven Mythic site now. :)
  4. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

I never really understood how RPing worked in games such as EQ and others. I used to play D&D way back in the dark ages (and was also in the SCA) and just assume that it is about the same. You pick some sort of personna for your character and just play accordingly. Kind of like acting out a role.

Like my Vampire Bellatryx. She used to be an elf . . fell in love with this guy and married him. He bit her. . she bcame a Freblood and . . well the rest is history. She also ended up biting her little sister Lizarose (whom I have since deleted) and she died. She couldn't help herself. . .Liza was so young. . .so fresh . . .