Advice for End Game

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Skoda Zek, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Skoda Zek New Member

Hey guys, returning EQ2 player here and I really need some advice. (strange seems the enter key doesnt work to allow double spacing in posts, so i apologize for the lack of proper paragraphs.) I am on crushbone, I currently have a level 45 Necromancer/44 Sage & 45 Shadow Knight/31 Alchemist. Both characters I created a week ago (yes i level very fast). The plan is to get to 95 asap and join a highly active raid guild. I am torn between the 2 classes and need to decide on a main character, which leads me to my first question: which class is going to be more appealing to most end game guilds on crushbone? Shadowknight or Necromancer. Next, is crushbone a good server for me to do the aforementioned on? or would I likely be better off to transfer to say AB or Freeport? Willing to pay the money and do so if there are obvious benefits. I do have a fully subscribed membership with all expansions/adventure packs. It is a launch account so I have 6 years of veteran rewards as well as 2 AA potions for level 90 (sets to 280 aa) for 2 characters. If you can offer any additional advice on top of what I have asked, please do I am all ears. If you are a member of a guild that raids (even a less hardcore raid guild) and would be interested in taking me on as a member, please also reply. Thank you. PS Again im very sorry about the lack of paragraphs, the in game browser does not recognize the enter key.
  2. Skoda Zek New Member

bump, waiting for reply
  3. Regolas Well-Known Member

Neither class is particularly desired on raids. The raidforce may take 1 of each in a 24 man raid. But they may also have 0 and use another class instead.

Ability to log on for all raids and ability to follow orders can be more important than class for some guilds though.

Other questions, no idea.
  4. Twyxx Well-Known Member

If you wanna put the time in and really work hard to make yourself a top player then pick whichever class you like. Necro is slightly easier to find a spot as you're fighting to be one of 5-6 dps classes per raid. Sk you're after 3-4 tank spots. If you're gonna be good either one is fine. If you're gonna be mediocre pick a bard or chanter.
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

Dps is easier to contend than tanking. Guilds are very picky about their tanks especially at endgame. I would advise necro with the SK as a geared alt that you spend some time learning. Having the ability to play two classes and being willing to do so increases the chance to raid.

Utility classes are the easiest to get into raid guilds with and include: Troubador, Dirge, Coercer, Illusionist (primary utility). Alternatively good healers are well sought after if you can tolerate playing one which is something I currently am unable to do.
  6. Skoda Zek New Member

Well i have decided to go with the SK. As for raiding experience, well I have been raiding hardcore in Everquest or 10 years
  7. Arieste Well-Known Member

A tank is the hardest thing to play in EQ2, the most gear-dependant, requires the most player skill and is the least sought after for raid guilds. You should ONLY play the tank if you're highly confident in your skills as such. And be prepared to suffer on your way.

A Necro atm is one of the best DPS classes in the game. It's a lot easier to get into groups and into raids on DPS class. You can also do your job reasonably well in mediocre gear. not many guilds look for necros specifically, but DPS is often sought after.

My advice to any new player looking to get into raiding would be to roll a support class - Bard or Enchanter as you'll get 5 recruit messages within a minute of asking for a guild and chances are no one will care if you suck, so long as you show up. This will give you the opportunity to get gear, learn the game, learn raiding and be part of a raid force. During this time, you can develop your other characters and eventually find room for them in the raiding world as well.

The tank is most difficult path, but that's not to say it's impossible.

I'm on Crushbone as well, if you want to chat or some advice, feel free to send a tell. It's a good server with quite a few active raid guilds and even an occasional pick up raid.
  8. Gaealiege Active Member

If he was high end in EQ1, he'll be just fine as an SK here. There's nothing here that requires half the knowledge/skill required in EQ1.
    Cyliena likes this.
  9. AustinB Member

I would advise against being an SK if you can help it. Every raid guild is going to have 3-4 tanks on their roster who are fully capable of tanking all the content and who have good attendance. You literally cannot do some of the fights without these tanks. There is also a good chance that at least a few people in these guilds are going to have geared out and well played tank alts that can sub in if really needed. To enter an established raid guild as a tank you basically have to show that you will be good enough to displace one of the current tanks from the roster, or apply just as one of the tanks in that guild is leaving.

You will have better luck playing the necromancer to be honest. You will be able to gear him out fairly fast by running solo and group zones. DPS classes also tend to have higher turnover (personal experience) than tanks and make up a larger portion of the raid force than tanks. As such, you should be able to find a spot much more easily with the necromancer. The necro also has some nice utility spells at their disposal, the can feed power, heal, and rez in a pinch.