Abysmal Fury fix plz

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-KlausFlouride, Nov 19, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-KlausFlouride Guest

I like the new spell range checker with one eception: Abysmal Fury. I have to still eyeball how far 7.5m is. There anyway you guys can fix this like you did the other spells?
  2. ARCHIVED-Ronzul Guest

It can't be "fixed" because it isn't broken.
    This line of spells is what's called "point-blank" area effect (PBAE), meaning that it affects targets within a certain radius of the caster. It doesn't check the range of your current target, because its effect is always centered on the caster, regardless of where your target is. You can cast this spell without having anything targeted, so it just wouldn't make sense to do any range checking for it.
    Personally, I don't know why they bothered putting any PBAE's into EQ2, since everything is encounter based. In EQ1, they were some of the best spells in the right circumstances and lots of classes had them. They were very handy for farming greens, and experience machines if you had the right group setup.
  3. ARCHIVED-Wolverine7 Guest

This spell hits everything within a 7.5 radius, but after casting it sometimes has a message if nothing was in the area. Perhaps the icon could be made such that the icon lights up if ANYTHING hittable is in range (so you can eyeball how close to stand to a pack).
  4. ARCHIVED-SmEaGoLLuM86 Guest

I agree they need to increase the range since it only hits 8 targets max now, before it hit an unlimited amount of targets and that range was very fair. Now for a mere 8 targets max, in a raid, it is not worth risking your life just to do that little bit extra dps.
  5. ARCHIVED-Ronzul Guest

That wouldn't be a very intuitive change to the way the icons change color now. How many PBAE spells are there in EQ2 anyway, and what use are they in a raid since they only hit 8 targets which may or may not be in the encounter the raid is dealing with? I haven't raided in EQ2 to speak of, but split-tanking multiple encounters sounds worse than Ssra or VT from EQ1, and therefore something to be avoided like the plague.
    With the 8 target max, it seems like you'd be better off single target nuking while waiting for targeted AE's to refresh, unless you're sure it's only 1 encounter, and then why not just go stand next to the MT? Having AE'ers standing in random places was a sure way to kill a raid back in the day.
  6. ARCHIVED-Crono1321 Guest

But our job isn't to single target nuke, it's to AE. Do not forget an amazing component of this spell is 5 interrupts in a row. Caster mobs are useless while this is afflicting them. 250 x 5 damage is not something to whine about, it does more damage than dark nebula, and it affects all mobs in the area (how many of you have had 9+ adds on a regular basis...and that weren't mezzed?). I use this spell as my 2nd or fourth in the line, because of its quick cast time and quick recast. As soon as I have the chance, Boundless fury will be made into Adept3. This also procs dissonant note and precise note from troubadors.
  7. ARCHIVED-KlausFlouride Guest

I use this often on raids(run in and drop it and run back out). I did it to m2 when they last let us respec.
  8. ARCHIVED-Ronzul Guest

Caster mobs would only be useless for 5 seconds during Abysmal Fury if they chose to cast again every time they got interrupted. Again from EQ1 experience, there were certain mobs you hoped would chain-cast because it meant they weren't doing their huge melee DPS instead. The difference between casting PC's and casting NPC's is usually that casting NPC's do lower DPS when they cast a lot (unless they've found a way to get around that in EQ2).

I guess I just don't understand why you would need to run in and out of range to cast this one spell. I use it all the time myself (solo and groups...don't do much raiding), and I never have a problem with being in range because I just stand next to the MT when I'm AE'ing.
  9. ARCHIVED-DarkSyphon Guest

Because in a raid situation where the mob is doing frontal AEs / Ramps / Etc...you can't afford to stand next to the MT unless you want to be roadkill. Just my 2cp.
  10. ARCHIVED-Ronzul Guest

Ok - behind the mobs, next to the non-tanking melee classes (still in arm's reach of the MT). It's the running in and out of range bit that I'm getting at, not the exact positioning.
  11. ARCHIVED-DarkSyphon Guest

It's situational. Normally at raids the AE from named mobs are huge (assuming it does, mostly do), thus casters stay at max casting range to avoid AE. Fury line has a short range...you do the math. Hope that helps.
  12. ARCHIVED-Crono1321 Guest

I wouldn't even call this a necessary raid spell..its more for regular adventuring with grinding and instances. In a raid I'm too worried about pulling aggro, I can't chain cast at all much less adding in an extra spell. And no one said you had to run in and out of range to cast this spell...you can sit right next to the mob the whole fight it's your choice...certain spells have different effects THAT IS THAT.