About the test patch: WHY give us 2 level 50 AOEs?!?!

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Moraeulftheblade, Feb 10, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Moraeulftheblade Guest

Any other fellow 50th Warlocks out there wondering What the Hell is SOE thinking giving us two AOE spells at level 50?! If you are level 50 and in a high end raiding guild, then you know that AOE spells are entirely useless. Giving us two AOEs at level 50 is like a giant slap in the face and a big "haha!" Please keep Devastation as a DD spell! Just upgrade it similarly to the Ice Comet spell for wizards. It doesn't need to do as big dmg as ice comet will do, it would be cool for it to do only double what it does now with some sort of big mana drain or hp drain, or stun type of effect attached to it. Please just don't screw us by giving us two worthless AOEs at level 50. I remind you once again, at level 50 in a high end raiding guild AOEs are useless. I know this because I raid level 55 X4 epic encounters twice daily. I never use AOEs, so there's no reason for us to get two spells i'll never use in anything similar to a raid situation at level 50.

Message Edited by Moraeulftheblade on 02-12-2005 11:58 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-tennjed Guest

I agree whith almost everything you said. I hope that this is a mistake and our lvl 50 devestation will be a nuke in line with the lvl 50 wizzy nuke. Having said that, this last line makes you sound like an [FaarNerfed!]. I'm not lvl 50 yet, I will be soon enough , but I'm not yet. I still research my class and like to take a look into the future at what spells are going to be a part of my normal sequence and which ones are going to be the first to be upgraded. I'm also going to be doing quite a bit of raiding and I can see your point about the lack of use for AoE spells in raids. You make good points and I agree with you with everything but this last statement which is crap. Get over yourself.
    Message Edited by tennjed on 02-10-2005 02:10 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-Kaziq Guest

We're looking at the distinct possibility that our raiding usefullness will soon be gutted and replaced by two equally useless spells. If this goes through it will make us totally undesirable for raiding guilds. These spells are more than worthless. What would you use them for other than to farm grey mobs? You won't exactly be exping anymore. Heck, you would far outpace a tanks ability to AOE taunt anyway. You'd be dead long before you could ever unload with these, again leaving the only option that of grey mob farming.

Don't let this get shoved down our throats, it will destroy our class and make wizards the ONLY viable sorcerer raiding class.I realize warlocks don't have the voice that the wizard forums seem able to muster so it's even more important that people reply to this issue before if becomes fact. We have a limited window of opportunity to get this changed and we have to use it now! If you just skim the boards and never reply then you need to reply to this thread and let your opinion be known. Even the lower level players who aren't immediately effected by this need to get their voices on board ... else be content when you hit level 50 and realize that you are unwanted, uneeded, and unviable for raiding.
  4. ARCHIVED-Erowid Guest

Before everyone goes into "whine" mode... perhaps you should have a talk with people on the test server and/or look at the alternatives....

Give HARD FACTS when trying to show/Prove something....

like whats dmg does Devistation do currently...?

What dmg does Torment of Shadows do currently...?

Give us those 2 answeres and i might have SOE answere or reasoning....

Have you never.... ever had a Wizzy and a Warlock in the same group with the Tank doing AE taunt and attack.... and having both Casters just laying waste to the mobs...? There are SEVERAL ways to raid... not all tactics are set in stone.
  5. ARCHIVED-Kaziq Guest

You seem pretty intent on scoring pot shots off of people, Erowid. I admit some confusion as to why but I won't engage in a flame war with you, that I usually reserve for the somewhat coherent. If you could tell us what level you are it would be easier to formulate a response as gameplay changes drastically lvl 40+. I would also be interested in further explanation of your proclamation to the effect of there being "several ways to raid".
  6. ARCHIVED-Kalathar Guest

In regards to Warlock's high end spells:

I would just point out that there is already considerable confusion as to our level 50 spells and thier usage.

From what I have heard sofar both are the exact same spell at the moment even though one is supposed to be our big lvl50 DD nuke (the Warlock's version of Ice Comet-- Devastation) and one is supposed to be an AE with a special effect (stun line of AE I believe?--Dark Nebula)... this is supported by the spells descriptions on the EQ2Players page.

Since it makes sense that one would be DD and one would be an AE spell, I would pretty much assume that this is an error either in

1) The patch notes themselves
    2) The implementation of the spells

What do we as Warlocks need to do to assure everything is working properly?

1) get on Test server and freakin test the things... find out HOW they are working so we know if they are gonna be broken or the notes are just a bit off/confused.
    2) IF they in fact ARE broken, then report them as many ways as possible, report em in-game, report em on the testers forums, etc. etc.

Slightly off topic, but any Warlocks on test high enough to actually TEST these things might wanna check on Netheros while they are at it, I'd assume no news is bad news, make sure to keep reporting the problems as many ways and times as possible =)

P.S.- no I'm not a lvl 50 raidmaster quite yet, but I AM concerned about what my character evolves into... why wouldn't I be? You actually being lvl 50 means you better [FaarNerfed!] well be reporting all the probs with these spells so they're fixed by the time I get there, and not just [FaarNerfed!]ing about a patch-to-come that you haven't even seen yourself yet.
  7. ARCHIVED-Tagms Guest

I agree with you Moraeulftheblade.

I think Devastation should be Single-target DD (=Wizard's Ice Comet).
    If SoE remains changing Area Effect Devastation, Warlock population will decrease further.
  8. ARCHIVED-Calypsi Guest

Our new high end nuke will be Nil Distortion and should do 2000+ every 18 sec. This is better then devastation is it not? Ice comet is probably going to do 3000+ every 45 sec. I'm happy with these adjustments I think, unless Nil distortion ends up doing alot less then expected.. I dont really want the same spells as a wizard with a different damage type anyway.

Calypsi
    45 Warlock
    Faydark
    Message Edited by Calypsi on 02-11-2005 09:26 AM
  9. ARCHIVED-CoebyWu Guest

High end raiding... *yawn*
    Can we get some input from someone who is a little more well rounded in their gameplay?
    Oh, and, I think it would be funny if any Warlock got deguilded because of their DPS, or lack thereof. Are you sure there isn't any other benefit of having a Warlock around? I know for sure I would deguild any Warlock that thought they were only about big nukes.
    I'm only 32, but I've had my exp turned off half the time, so I'm really 64. This makes me perfectly qualified to question your qualifications to ask the questions you did.
  10. ARCHIVED-Effie Guest

I'm only 32, but I've had my exp turned off half the time, so I'm really 64. This makes me perfectly qualified to question your qualifications to ask the questions you did.

Actually, the XP curve is not constant...
    If you have had combat XP turned off exactly 50% of the time and you have completed no quests at all, you would likely be around level 40. Given that the average player would have over 100 quests completed by level 30, it would be more accurate to say that you are around level 37.

Also, the majority of high end content revolves around raiding. If warlocks cannot contribute in a raid situation, then the origial poster has a valid concern.

High end raiding... *yawn*
    Can we get some input from someone who is a little more well rounded in their gameplay?

That's rather childish to criticize someone on how they choose to play EQ2. If your playstyle is not condusive to raiding that's fine.. how would you feel if someone belittled and insulted you because of your playstyle choices? If you have nothing constructive to add to a thread, please refrain from posting.
  11. ARCHIVED-Erowid Guest

The reason I ask:
    "like whats dmg does Devistation do currently...?"

"What dmg does Torment of Shadows do currently...?"

Is quite simple.... because the SOE patch note of: " - Torment of Shadows no longer shares a reuse timer with Dark Emanations. Its instant damage has been tripled, and its damage over time has doubled."
    Mean absolutly NOTHING if we cannot understand the base dmg... So does ToS currently do 180dmg with a 20dmg dot.... and it's being upgraded to - 540dmg/40dmg dot....???
    or

is ToS current Dmg 275 with a 35dmg dot... being upgraded ia the patch to 825dmg/66dmg dot ...???

It's extremely hard to argue or even "complain" or "whine" about Devistation being turned into an AE, when before all this patch stuff was mentioned the Biggest Nuke we had was @ 900dmg ....!

Now, we have 4 spells that are capable of reaching that amount and one that will hit for near 2k....

My point being... only debuffs have a "limit" Dark Distortion works with your characters lvl and will work on lvl 50 mobs... So who cares if our last spell isn't the biggest. It's hard to tell what SOE is doing or giving us without knowing what we currently HAVE.... thus the demand for HARD facts= Numbers... spell data.

Kaziq, if you never done a AE raid, then you don't know what I mean... nor will you understand it. Powerful AE's are a good thing... and a sacrificial Sorcerer is better than the whole party dieing.... it's a neat way to get things but bad on the debt.

12. ARCHIVED-Effie Guest

Bold, blue 16 point comic sans is utterly repulsive.

Could you please use something a little less obnoxious in your posts?
    I'm not trying to be an a** but your posts are difficult enough to decipher without having to struggle with your 'non-conformist' font preferences.
  13. ARCHIVED-Victicus7 Guest

two AE spells at lvl 50 would dissapoint me also

we will just have to see how it works once this patch goes live...until then cant really say much about it
  14. ARCHIVED-Victicus7 Guest

From the patch notes:

- Dark Nebula now does 3 times its previous damage. It is an upgrade to Grievous Blast, sharing a reuse timer with Grievous Blast and Putrid Cloud.

if thats true Dark Nebula will be doing 3000+ damage since it had the exact same damage as Devistation...sounds too good to be true tho.
  15. ARCHIVED-Erowid Guest

Try buying a 22" Monitor and reading web-pages at higher than 1280 x 1024 .... or at least get ride of your 17", this text must fill up your whole screen and look like crayons....!!

Or perhaps it's just the brightnmess of the Blue I am using.... Yes..? No...??
  16. ARCHIVED-Quasar Guest

Why would AOE be "useless" in a raiding guild?
  17. ARCHIVED-Klund Guest

No, actually its just very annoying to read your text, I have a 24" monitor on 1280x1024 and I didnt even read your first 2 posts because of the kiddy fonts.

Back to more important things though...

I believe also its lack of information in the patch notes rather than what they are actually doing. If thats not the case then I believe Warlock's should get devastation up to rather a DD that is around half the damage (or less with a shorter timer) with some sort of effect with it.
  18. ARCHIVED-Klund Guest

It would be useless in a raiding guild because the majority of fights are against a single mob and not a group, so all aoe's are situational. To find their niche in a raid they need more utility than wizards but still put out good DD.
  19. ARCHIVED-Splatterpunk28 Guest

I have to agree, 2 AoE spells for level 50? That makes no sense whatsoever.
    So our biggest single target DD is at level 37?! LOL

True, raids are one reason to say this is silly, but solo'ing and grouping as well. The frequency of me using an AoE spell to a DD is probably around 1 in 500.

I'm thankful that SOE looked into our dps and decided to boost it, but I'm not going to sit back and ignore this blantantly huge issue either because I'm so overwhelmed at my level things are much better (and oh thank you, thank you, thank you...I'll hope that gets fixed later, until now at least MY gameplay is much better mentality.)

Don't know about you guys but there is always one spell/ability people are always eager to acquire at high end.
    Wizard's eager for Ice comet at 50 and we're waiting for...Nil Distortion at 37?
    Get real, make Devastation our most powerful DD!

Message Edited by Splatterpunk28 on 02-12-2005 12:15 PM
  20. ARCHIVED-Klund Guest

No one is going to be completely happy with their class, if they are then everyone will a) scream for a nerf on the boards then b) make one themselves then c) scream to not nerf them on the boards

But the main thing that NEEDS to be balanced above all else IS the high end raiding. In eq1 knights were one of the hardest classes in the lower levels and most overlooked but really shined in later levels, and that works. Having warlocks however really shine in lower levels and lack in later will not.

I do truly hope though that they get the balancing out of the way soon and start working towards things that, in my opinion, are bigger. Like more content, zones, and above all else ITEMS.