Ability mod amounts

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Oriathan, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Oriathan New Member

What should a dirge shoot for on ability mod amounts? I reforged out of it and only have 1250 ab mod. I do quite well now on raid dps, Better then I ever have before. Buffrat mentioned in dirge channel that 10k was a goal. What will redoing all my reforging yet again to get back to 10k ab mod do for me dps wise? Will it increase significantly even though I may lose a lot of dps and other stats, or will I just trade ways to dps.
  2. Regolas Well-Known Member

Imo AB mod for scouts should be one of the last things you worry about. Generally I don't reforge it out but I don't reforge into it either. I definitely wouldn't sacrifice autoattack soft caps for it as a scout.

Buffrats 10k target will be based on maths. He will have worked out the highest hitting CA based on a certain potency, then divided by 2 to get the AB mod cap.

Ability damage is calculated by multiplying the base damage of the ability by (potency/100)+1. More potency = more AB mod needed to cap.

Eg. If potency is 400, highest base dmg is 4000, then total CA damage is 4000 x (4+1) = 4000 x 5 = 20000

Ab mod can add 50% more damage so 20000/2 = 10000

Only thing left to consider is the variety of CA base damages and the frequency you use your highest one. If you have one rarely used or slow refreshing CA at 4000 and all your other more used abilities are around 2000, then having enough AB mod to cap out your biggest ability may not be worthwhile, if you're sacrificing other stats, because it will be wasted on all but that higher damage CA as all others have reached the AB mod cap.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  3. Silvr Member

Check out dragonsarmory.com you can do a search for your character and get an idea of what kind of ability mod cap you have for your abilities.

The information there is a great starting point, unfortunately do to some major code challenges it does not take into account AAs that boost a specific spell or line. It also does it calculations based on the last update from SoE Census which most often is not a group/raid buffed setup, but its not a bad "around" number.
    Feldon and Avahlynn like this.
  4. Oriathan New Member

Thanks, I have 1250 ab mod only because of the neck I have. I took all the dps stat red gem gear in ToV so would have to actually reforge into it to get any at all. Once I replace the neck I suppose I will have to reforge all again and try and get some back.
  5. Dedith Well-Known Member

For exact values, look at your tooltips in-game. The agi bonus, potency bonus, and any AA bonuses are already added up. Just divide the max dmg values by 50% (or 33% if AoE) to get that CA's AM cap.

Silvr, thx for the props! I'd like to parse the AAs, but it's a ton of work each time then change and the AA's are still borked (they are exporting as lvl 1, so many values are diminished due to this.) SOE devs are working on it.
  6. Droll Active Member

Dirges have CAs that do damage? Since when?

Honestly dirge combat arts are not ever going to be a significant amount of your parse, I'd rather over cap DPS or haste for 100% flurry than waste anything on ability mod.
  7. Mankar Active Member

This is sort of true, but it would be silly to have zero ability mod. 2k ability mod could easily be had for probably 1-2% flurry chance and I am too lazy to do math but I can pretty much promise you that going from 0 to 2k ability mod is greater for your DPS than from 49% to 50% flurry chance.

Also, does no one here know that flurry = useless for RO charging? Great for personal parsing and definitely worth chasing, but ability mod has usefulness for RO/VC charging cycles. Just some food for thought.

Edit: I realized you also said DPS mod, which does help for RO/VC. I would maintain that once you hit 900 DPS, pouring the extra into just a little ability mod would result in better returns, but I just main switched to brig and so I can't test with my gear anymore. I know Buffrat has said 10k ability mod is target and that is based on math, but in my personal tests I did better pushing it into DPS mod while still leaving 3-4k ability mod.