[AB] Isla Morada finished + published, good-bye summer!

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by blackjack, Aug 25, 2018.

1. blackjack Well-Known Member

So way back when we were still getting over the last vestiges of winter weather here and I was under massive stress at work, I conjured up an idea for a vacation beach house using the Dhalgar Precipice. I wanted it to be a sort of digital vacation for me, and the idea in my mind was for it to be very rustic and impermanent - as if one bad hurricane could wash it all away forever.

Tinkered around with it on and off for a while, hit a wall and burnt out. Set it aside. Febrith did a tour while it was in its WIP stage, which turned out to be immensely useful because when I finally came back to it, I had new ideas I wanted to do with it to make it more appealing for visitors.

My good friend Kitowyn stepped in and helped make the tiki hut in my mind finally work out right in game and she is also responsible for adding in that really cool sandcastle on the beach.

This is definitely an explorer’s house. Hidden details. Books with writings that set the atmosphere. Small objects that tie an idea together. Mysteries.

Feel free to drop in: Isla Morada, Massive Homes, Dhalgar Precipice, Qeynos, Nicasio. As always, it is open for roleplayers to use as a setting whenever they like.

Forums seem to not like me posting a line of screenshots, but a small album of pics can be found here:

https://imgur.com/a/48lc3gZ

Thanks for looking.
  2. Faeonara Well-Known Member

Awesome job I have to go see it in person now that I have admired the sneak peek via imgur . Looking forward to lll the little details :)
  3. blackjack Well-Known Member

Thanks Faeonara. I hope you enjoy your visit, be sure to drop by the sunscreen tent and then have a pina colada on me :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Faeonara like this.
  4. ZeeRobot New Member

You already know I think this house is great ;)
  5. blackjack Well-Known Member

Not as awesome as you are, but in my obviously biased opinion I don't think it's too shabby. :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Is it a matter of the hardly-intuitive-at-all method of jumping through hoops it takes to post any images here (that aren't directly off the Net), or is it Imgur being a jerk and charging for the privilege of posting anywhere else? :(

Personally, I use www.deviantart.com, but that's just me (and GriffonLady, with her cool RL plushies! :D), 'cause as of yet, they're not doing such jerk moves. Once I post something there (and if it's a screenshot from in-game, I always put down the caveat of "all these are from Everquest 2, copyright Day Break Games, all rights reserved, etc."), I'll do a View Image, get the URL, come over here to an open post of mine, hit the li'l "Insert/edit image" tree icon, and paste the URL in the command line. Boom, Robert's your parent's sibling. ;->

Uwk
    Faeonara and blackjack like this.
  7. blackjack Well-Known Member

I use Imgur exclusively because of things like completely free hosting with gold standard privacy features like EXIF data stripping. I suspect it was something with DB's forums as I have absolutely zero issues posting anything else anywhere else. Frankly it was just easier to post an album link than to chase whatever posting issue DB had with my game images.

And come check out my house, my friend. I'll leave an extra beach towel out for you. :)
  8. Febrith Well-Known Member

I loved this place when it was WIP - I will definitely come back to give it another 2 thumbs up!:)
  9. blackjack Well-Known Member

You're always an honored guest. I hope you find the upgrades far more interesting, with the traces of dwarven architecture now erased. :)
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw, I'm sure even the dwarves like to kick back on the beach occasionally; why else would the place be set on the beach? ;)

On the other hand, maybe it wasn't beach-front property when they set it up originally, but thanks to the Cataclysm, or whatever we call it here that created the new map we have in EQ2 vs. EQ1... :-/

Uwk
    blackjack likes this.
  11. blackjack Well-Known Member

It really is sort of a weird property. Small island in the middle of the sea with an insanely tall peak in the middle of it, decked out in full out dwarven stonework and golden filigree from a race that lives very deep within the earth. I covered that architecture all up and made the island more 'natural' for my purposes.

Don't quote this as fact, but I mentioned the odd property to a longtime game friend of mine I knew from EQ1/EQ2 (he has not played either though in several years) and he said that he thought the place could have been the original surface entrance to Maldura/Thalumbra, now covered up by the sea from the destruction of the Cataclysm. If that's accurate then I guess I better understand the kind of bizarre mix the prestige house is.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That's entirely possible...I'm wondering how anyone managed to survive an event that shattered a CONTINENT into several large chunks... :-/

"Maaaaagic," I guess, and maybe the native dragons themselves going, "Hey! What the -- Get out the Super Glue, Martha...and fan yer wings real hard to blow away the Nuclear Winter particles." ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.