AA Question on sorc and warlock trees

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Quango-UK, Sep 4, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Quango-UK Guest

Im a level 45 warlock and have not really worried about what points to put where but now i feel i should look at it

I solo/group about 50/50 ive got 38 points to spend , where would you put them ?

What tree do most peeps use . the sorc side first then work on the warlock side or do both a little at a time.

at the moment i have 10 points in the mage shield on the warlock side
    and 4 4 6 8 1 in the agi line with 3 points left prolly stick them in str next

Any thoughts ?
  2. ARCHIVED-Tyrion Guest

Quango-UK wrote:
    Defense mainly comes in the form of proccing wards from items, and then a built-in ward from your Magi's shield. But soloing is all about killing something really really fast, and before it kills you.
    With 38 points, I'd do this:
    4/4/6/8/2 Str.
    4/4/6 Agi.
    And then continue until you have eight points in Spellshaping, and then spend the last two to get the end ability: Spellshifting to speed up recast. Basically Str and Agi allow you cast faster, more often, and hit harder with the occassional automatic crit spell (Devastation/Apocalypse ftw).
  3. ARCHIVED-Quango-UK Guest

cool thx

what about the eof tree , use that when i finish on the str/agi lines ?
  4. ARCHIVED-Hellswrath Guest

I'd go Hastenings line first. But there are plenty of threads already with discussions on this. I recommend reading through some of those, as good arguments for several line specs and order to obtain them are given there.
  5. ARCHIVED-knightofround Guest

Put your first 10 EoF points into enhance Magi Shielding though. It's so much easier and faster to tank solo mobs with it rather than the 'ole root-n-nuke.
  6. ARCHIVED-Pentarum Guest

I'd sugest not putting the 10 into the shielding so you can acttually learn to play your class better and not get hit. Learing to juggle multiple mobs with stuns and roots will make you a much better warlock then just taking the easy route.
    Low levels go with Agi/Wis.. Spell cast haste, Increase in damage on all spells, Less mana per cast invauable till you get geared up.
    High level Str/Agi... After you get a few more proc gear items and some deagro and mana tap gear you can dump WIS and go for Str just for the forced crit apoc. Doing up to 100k damage for a 2 sec cast time. Yum thanks!
    I tried staying with Agi/wis for awhile but my dps suffered. The forced crit is just too good with the ammount of 2-8 mob encounters in KoS and EoF to not take Str.

Hastenings, Prop
  7. ARCHIVED-ThadeusOfShibboleth Guest

Pentarum wrote:
    We aren't wizards, let them worry about single target, work on becoming an AoE DPS machine, what we are meant to do. My 2c.
  8. ARCHIVED-Pentarum Guest

Aftershocks adds such a small ammount of damage over the course of a raid that your gimping your damage output by taking it. With Hastenings you can run through your entire spell routine + more before anything even resets in that 15 sec of casting haste. It gives you an crazy dps boost as long as you have a tank that can hold agro.
    Example... So you take aftershocks and on the 8 mob fight in lyceum (just for the number of mobs) You do a 2-3k extra damage but your casting much slower and getting off alot less spells. Mobs are almost dead before your first encounter spell goes off. You hit 3-4k dps in 15 sec
    Or with hastenings you can get off a encounter debuf, Forced crit Apoc, Void absolution, Chaostorm, Rift, and do 5-8k dps in that same 15 sec.
    Tried both yeah I'll stick with Hastenings and keep my spot topping the wizzys Single or Aoe. It may not be up for every single trash mob but every other one it is so you skip a single mob enounter to use it on the next set of 5 mobs. Works fine so far 2800-3600dps on singles and 4800-6000dps average on large encounters. Had a 3200dps exit in EH last week.
  9. ARCHIVED-ThadeusOfShibboleth Guest

Oh I'm not looking to argu heh, just stating my opinion. With my current spec I can parse 8-10K on the mobs in lyceum, it's all about knowing what your spells do and what order to cast them in. I don't need Hastenings with TC and a monk in the raid lol. On another note, lyceum is a horrible basis for comparison. Can you maintain 3-4K on Sarik the Fang? Avatar adds I have done 4-5K. I guess our spec has a lot to do with the raid makeup and what your regular targets are. I was spec'd Hastenings/Prop for a while and went back to Prop/Aftershocks. I couldn't personally justify 200-300 single target dps over 1K-2K encounter dps. I chose to focus on the strength of our class as opposed to trying to improve our weakness. To each their own and as long as your raid is successful and your having fun...that's all that matters.
  10. ARCHIVED-agressiv4 Guest

I'm torn on it myself. I'm currently spec'ed prop/aftershocks, but do have the points in hastenings where it counts. Its nice to have the burst of damage which is nice, and the utility is VERY useful for soloing, especially with the interrupt immutability. Toping a single parse in Lycaeum is nice, but unless it were on a shorter recast timer it only makes a small dent in zonewide.

I dont solo much though, but I've gotten into a few situations where it would have been handy to have but don't anymore.

agressiv
  11. ARCHIVED-Supple Guest

Im a heavy solo'er myself. This is what I would do...
    STA - 4, 4, 8
    WIS - 4, 6, 4, 8, 2 (you could also do 4-6-4-8-2 in STR, but Ive been finding lately that catalyst costs me too much health on the longer encounters)
    That configuration consumes 41 points (including the familiar).
    After that, I would start putting them in the EoF tree. Magi's Shielding is not a bad choice, but that's usually where I put my leftover points. I would have to go down the Props line first. It's a very good line.
    A lot of folks will recommend speedcasting over base dmg increase, but I'm a patient man. Not to mention getting the 12% base power reduction helped me immensely. But there are many good configurations to choose from. You sound like you play like me, so this is what I would do if I were you.
  12. ARCHIVED-agressiv4 Guest

Supple wrote:
    I would assume you meant STR 4, 4, 4, 8, and that you aren't putting 8 points into Parry Had crit really been one notch up, it would be a whole different ballgame. With it right above the endline, it only costs you 4 points for Catalyst.

I dont see where else you would put those points in the sorcerer tree that would amount to anything with greater usefulness than Catalyst. Our endline abilities in ALL sorcerer trees are great, whatever line you choose, you'll want the endline.

Still, I can never imagine any Sorcerer not going Agility. The Casting Speed / Re-use Reduction is absolutely huge. Obviously thats just my opinion, but most people go AGI and one of the other trees to augment it. For damage, both STR and WIS will be pretty close. INT for people with no hate control, and STA for soloers or PvP'ers.

agressiv
  13. ARCHIVED-Supple Guest

I'm not following you there Aggresiv. I think you must have been looking at what I suggested for the stamina line.
  14. ARCHIVED-agressiv4 Guest

LOL!

I saw the STA 4, 4, 8 and thought I was reading STR. I even re-read it twice. Its monday :)

agressiv
  15. ARCHIVED-knightofround Guest

5 chao, apoc, abs, rift + Explosives + 3 war pyre + 5 void distortion will give you about a 9% dps increase.

5 scourge, war pyre, void distortion + hastenings will give you about a 8% dps increase, assuming you're using hastenings every time it's up, and you have no spell haste other than AGI line. (the more spell haste you have, the less effective this spec is)

Of course, the first spec costs 29 AAs and the second one costs 21. It depends how much points you want/need for other stuff. And where you want to enhance your dps.