a special contest for Maj'dul Server (lengthy explanation follows)

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by suka, May 28, 2016.

1. suka Well-Known Member

The Dungeon Maker House Contest.

Dates: Starting June 1, ending June 30, prizes to be given out at the July Maj'dul Block Party - which we will move back to New Halas Docks so we can have a pumpkin smashing good time- more on that in next post.

Prizes to be announced later in the month.

EDIT:
    Have the four prizes decided on:
    First prize 10,000 plat
    Second Prize 5,000 plat
    Third Prize 2,500 plat
    fourth prize "honorable mention" 1,000 plat.
    I decided on plat because this way you can spend it on anything you need.

Please use a NEW dungeon- not a published one. You can publish more than one dungeon.

we just got some awards offered us by Kaitheel for the contest:

1st: Community Challenge Reward
    2nd: Chalice of Eternal Victory

3rd: A Commemorative Trophy
    Special Mention: Award for Achievement

~ Kaitheel

so do go get your dungeons done!

Theme- anything you want it to be and in any dungeon. but it has to be in a dungeon. I don't want to be killed in your dungeon so there is only a few rules:

No more than 3 aggro mobs, they must be blue or lower with very few special effects, and must not be grouped.

You don't have to have a mob- but we are leaving that up to you.

What we do want is for your dungeon to tell a story. Please give us hints about the story in a book at the front of your dungeon.

Remember- you can reskin it. there are 2k slots. So have fun with it and show us what you can do. (the rules are the same as houses- the building blocks are a separate item count)

We promise that the prizes we choose will be nice. I will see what i can come up with.

if you are on another server and want to enter, just make a toon and get them to level 20 to enter.

please see replies for the lengthy explanation promised
    Nockturnal and HaphazardAllure like this.
  2. suka Well-Known Member

Have you thought of using dungeon maker as a house? You only get to publish a few of them these days.

Some things you can do as a dungeon:

you can use the toolbox for placing and even finding items you placed. Not sure where it is hiding? Click it in the toolbox and choose go to.

You can save the layout and use the layout editor with it - or you can use the ingame editor by toggling the decorator toolbar.

You can edit it from anywhere in the world.

Some buts:

You can't place items for your home only.

If you put mobs in it and publish it, they will attack people.

You can't interact with anything like portals and marketboards in the dungeon. you can in the house like dungeon that you enter through a house.

Pets don't roam, they stay where you put them and act like plushies.

Now for some special information:

Put a portal in the dungeon from your prestige house and leave the dungeon.

Now enter your house from your housing portal in your guild or your city. Press leave. Your dungeon will be on your leave menu.

Go to your dungeon.

Voila- no more dungeon- it is now a house and will act like a house in most ways . You can put in crafting stations, and portals, and anything you want as long as it is not just for houses only.. And you have all of the items in it to play with. If it says "for player houses only" then that is something we need to beg the devs to fix- since the dungeons are only good for decorating now, we should be able to enjoy them. but you can put a portal that will lead to a house with a guild door! (this was edited because we found out we still can't put guild doors in our dungeons- sadly)

If you want to use the toolbox again to lay some more items down to work with, just enter from the world by hitting edit. If you want to use it as a house, enter from a house.

So now all of those nice dungeons you can create are yours for decorating, using and publishing. Too bad those of us who didn't choose the collector's edition don't have chardok.

You can create houses in your dungeons - now what?
    The same things apply in the dungeon as in the houses. You get 2k slots to play with. The building blocks count as building blocks- not as items. If you are working with the house version, you even have a moving crate.

You can make your dungeon with a lower toon to keep from accidentally deleting it. Then decorate it. When you publish it, make sure you have house or something in the title so people will know it is safe to visit- no aggroing mobs. Not sure why they still aggro since we can't get xp off them. I would love to use them as pets.

Some basics about dungeon maker:

Where to find it. On your Character Window, look for the Dungeon tab. This shows you every dungeon you have access to- your own and anyone else's.

To make a dungeon, choose "create a dungeon". You will then have a number of dungeons to create. It will show you the layouts.

Don't have Dungeon Maker? It is free. Go to the Marketplace and claim it. It will be in features.

You don't need to buy furniture or anything. It all comes with the free Dungeon Maker. And if you want to test your skills, you can create dungeons where the mobs actually hit hard. And yean, you die. And no xp- which is why we say make a house.

The dungeons are awesome- especially the Poet's Palace. The others are really neat too. Mistmoore has a water feature in one of them. The Lair of Scale ones have the lava features. The Crushbone ones have some with jail cells. The ideas are endless.

There are tons of furniture that comes for free with your toolbox and and the pop-up boxes (they spam emote text in various colors) can't be seen when the house is published. There are so many items you may not even want to use any from the game. But knowing that you have the option is a good thing.

You have an option of choosing any mob- even a boss- as a flavor mob. This mob will act like a pet and you can put him right at the door with a book by him and a pop box spamming a greeting. How cool is that?

While there is no way to make a mob non aggro, there is something fun you can do. I would warn people though so they wouldn't wander your house obliviously. Maybe stick it in the book or set up a warning box. You can choose some mobs to make very low level - as low as to make them con green to anyone coming into your house. (look at the effects boxes)

I wouldn't put more than a few and widely spread apart- not anywhere they can attack at once. It can add some flavor to an otherwise dull house. Imagine going into a halloween house and something somewhere just attacks- not large enough to kill, but enough to scare you. And remember you can set them on patrol and give them special effects like throwing people around unexpectedly. All without being high enough to do any real damage.
    Nockturnal and Sandyfoot like this.
  3. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

I was allowed to place a marketboard but I cannot place a guild hall door, mailbox (city merchant and city festival shinie reward one), or depot. I have tried entering dungeon every way mentioned and doesn't work. Have you put a guild door in a dungeon recently?
    suka likes this.
  4. suka Well-Known Member

going to test it now

i was told by others that they could but it has been awhile since i tested it. i do know though that it acts like a house when you enter from a house.

ok this is what i found. i do hope the devs change it since we can no longer get xp from dungeons.

i can put a marketplace bulletin board and it works. any interactive item works. i can put the crafting tables and they work. i can move items to the moving crate.

what i still can't do is put in anything that says player house only. so you are right- that work-around doesn't work. sorry, i was wrong about that one.
  5. suka Well-Known Member

kk i edited it and changed that part. i do hope the devs see fit to make the dungeons recognized as houses - or make guild doors fit more than just player houses
  6. Merriel Well-Known Member

I hope you get some entries in this contest...if for no other reason than just the fun of it. I was in one of my dungeons and mentioned something about the items I had in that dungeon, and Vasciagio and Ceyarrecks commented on it, giving me an idea for what to do for this contest, so if I can get it done in time I just might have an entry. :)
    suka likes this.
  7. suka Well-Known Member

i hope so too. good luck. can't wait to see what you come up with
  8. suka Well-Known Member

please post the name of your dungeon maker house here when you publish it and the name of the decorator
    and the name of your layout.
  9. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. I really wish they would make it so you can place the magical guild hall door in any housing type including guild halls....wouldn't it be nice to be able to click on a door to go back to your own guild hall after visiting someone else's? I think so :D
  10. suka Well-Known Member

i agree. i have portals for my toons who are in another guild and for my own houses in the other guild - my alt guild. i wish i could put a portal between guilds. all it would take is giving us the ability to have a portal. like the prestige houses. maybe with the advent of prestige guild halls they will give us a portal ability. it would make those prestige guild halls very attractive
  11. suka Well-Known Member

Have the four prizes decided on:
    First prize 10,000 plat
    Second Prize 5,000 plat
    Third Prize 2,500 plat
    fourth prize "honorable mention" 1,000 plat.
    I decided on plat because this way you can spend it on anything you need.
    I still need judges.
  12. suka Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    kk i edited the first post to reflect this:
    we just got some awards offered us by Kaitheel for the contest:

1st: Community Challenge Reward
    2nd: Chalice of Eternal Victory

3rd: A Commemorative Trophy
    Special Mention: Award for Achievement

~ Kaitheel

so do go get your dungeons done!
  13. suka Well-Known Member

i hope we get a lot of entries guys. these are the items you have been asking for on our server
  14. Merriel Well-Known Member

Still working on my dungeon, but I'm really excited about it. :)
    suka likes this.
  15. suka Well-Known Member

i was just informed that we can have 4 flavor mobs in the dungeons so that opens a lot more possibilities
  16. suka Well-Known Member

please remember to post here when you are ready to enter the contest. we have 6 more days til the end of the month. Fyuri will be getting the awards to hand out soon. we hope there are at least 4 people in the contest so we can hand them all out.
  17. Merriel Well-Known Member

I was so looking forward to this contest, but have run into an impassible obstacle for my dungeon.

It seems the save layout function is borked, and every time I load the layout, whole sections of what I've done vanish into thin air or revert to previously saved versions of the layout. I even went so far as to delete all previously saved versions, then saved a brand new version, loaded the layout, and had things that had remained through many previous saves suddenly vanish, and many items get moved back to where I had put them on a very early previously saved version of the layout...which should not have even been remembered since I had deleted ALL previously saved versions of the layout.

These are saves done via the in game save layout function, not the layout editor, so it's definitely an issue within the game itself. I'm very discouraged right now, and very frustrated, because I have found no way to bypass this issue. Hours wasted decorating this place, only to be foiled and with so little time left to finish. :/
  18. suka Well-Known Member

Please don't be discouraged. please note that if you enter the dungeon through the dungeon maker interface on your character window, you will be able to edit and decorate it and save and load layout with not too many problems. we have found that it works better by manually placing the items however. something about the latest update that messed up interacting with the load feature is causing a problem in the dungeons.

if you need more time because of this bug, please let me know. you can upvote the bug at https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQII-635
  19. Merriel Well-Known Member

Hmm interesting. I thought I had posted here earlier that I was able to start decorating the dungeon again but my post seems to be missing. Anyways, yes, I figured out that if I decorate the dungeon in house mode and save the layout, then load it, things seem to vanish or revert to an earlier save (even if you delete all previously saved versions of the dungeon layout), thereby messing up much of my progress. I can, however, decorate the dungeon in dungeon mode, and the save loads properly, so it is still possible to decorate the dungeon. Just can't decorate it in house mode. I made a lot of progress today on the dungeon, and am working hard to try and get it finished in time for the deadline. :)
  20. suka Well-Known Member

awesome. yes you can still use the dungeon in house mode, but it works best if you decorate it in dungeon mode. you still have the placement tool, and you get the toolbox which i find the most valuable tool ever. but you can still go to house mode for entering it from other houses. in fact, i used a dungeon as a housing portal for all of my houses. houses that are published are best for this, but if you don't want to waste a house on it, a dungeon works quite well. i just wish the portals were active in dungeon mode.

they used to be active. i remember when i first started using them i had a problem with accidentally touching the portals while playing and ended up in my house. then i began wishing there was a way to connect dungeons when playing so i could make a round of them. i discovered however that if i went to a house while playing the dungeon, and came back into the dungeon i would lose my points.

for some reason not long after that they took away the ability to enter a house from a dungeon if entered in dungeon mode. and before someone says i am mistaken, i distinctly remember it because i actually put some in my dungeons as traps from time to time until they stopped letting them be active.
    Merriel likes this.