A rift in time (live event and expansion idea)

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Shrell, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Shrell Guest

I know that Luclin has been bantered on and on in previous posts, but i had a thought about how to make it legitimate.
    A live world event takes place, spanning the entire time between expansions where agents from the long ago past find a way into current day Norrath seeking help. They plead with the citizens of Norrath to help thwart the events that took place causing Luclin to explode, giving a rebirth to a reborn moon, much different and much older than it was in the past.
    The rift in time and the events that take place could somehow shatter the perceived timeline, leaving Norrath broken but yet restore the moon of Luclin, giving players a grand avenue of exploration and fun!!

Any thoughts?
  2. ARCHIVED-Khandor Guest

well, the problem I see about 'fixing' the moon in the past, is the fact that the EQ2 land design is based around the moon exploding. It was because of the moon blowing up that caused the continents to split apart. If we had a quest to go and fix the moon in the past, that would mean the cataclysm never occured and thus the continents would not have split.

Which also would mean a whole redesign of the entire game.

Also, this type of quest was introduced in EQ1, essentially the way the two games go, is that in EQ1, the players were able to thwart the destruction of the moon, which enables EQ1 to continue playing itself out, whereas, the start of EQ2 is where the players did not stop the destruction, making an alternate timeline that brances off with a cataclysm, which creates EQ2.

EQ1 and EQ2 are on seperate dimensional timelines *kind of like the red alert vs real life timeline* So it's because the moon was destroyed that we have Everquest 2 at all.
  3. ARCHIVED-Shrell Guest

Right i understand what you are saying, but the shattered norrath could still exist because of a ripple effect in the line of time.
    Granted, i wouldn't be against redrawing the world and making it look like eq2 but pre shattering. That would be awesome!
  4. ARCHIVED-DragonMaster2385 Guest

5. ARCHIVED-Soluss2 Guest

Would be pretty neat but it poses big problems. In essence it would shatter the story we have been following for the last 4 years. Fixing the moon in the past totally changes what happend after that. Our world would be completely different.
    Perhaps another take to reintroduce luclin could be something along the lines of some residence of luclin escaped the moon before it exploded and found new home on another moon.
    While I do wish they would have done a Velious type expansion (because it was my favorite) I kind of hope that they start taking EQ2 in its own direction. Alot of this is because I have been disapointed in the way they have been remaking the world (EOF, ROK). While they are decent expansions in their own rights, they are kind of disapointing because I enjoyed the originals much more. Anyhow, I hope this up and comming expansion has little to do with EQ 1. Id like to see something totally new and fresh for a change.
  6. ARCHIVED-Coniaric Guest

Actually ... I would keep the current theme constant the way it is, shattered moon and all. We already had luclinite chunks hitting Norrath, leaving devastation across the world, including the massive piece-island across from Gorowyn.
    The actual event that caused the breaking of continents was the Rending - earthquakes and the Underfoot collapsing beneath the continents, especially the old Antonica which saw greatest effect. This happened earlier in the timeline before the Shattering.
    Just undoing it will alter too much of current content ... so it's not feasible. A lot had been tied into the Shattering and the Rending having great impact on Norrath.
    But ... revisiting Luclin as a time-travel sort of thing would help answering the questions many wanted to know - what caused the Shattering? What kind of war the Vah Shir was fighting up to the explosion. What happened in the Nexus. What was that crystal that was brought in through teleportation portal and was it part of the destruction. And all sort of questions.
    An expansion that revolve around the time just before the Shattering would be interesting, I think.