A Nightmare That Never Seems To End

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Almee, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

I love to decorate and want to be able to use all the furnishings available in the game whenever possible. To that end I tried for years to do the BoL TS sig line and have managed, in that time, to get one out of 90+ characters through the line. Even then it was only through the help of a GM.

The quest is fine until I get to the part where I have to use the Mach II to find the shadows. They have placed them high up on mountains, which probably have secret passages to get to, but I certainly don't know where they are and no one can help since they can't see the trail the Mach II makes.

Yesterday, I tried to locate a shadow and had to give up when it became too stressful. The mobs were no problem but trying to follow the golden marker just kept taking me in circles.

Today, I tried again. This time it took me into a cave and up to a wall where the trail ended. I went out of the cave, moved around to an area I thought might give me a new trail, just to have it insist I go back into the cave.

I got so angry I had to quit once more. This is not fun, it is irritating and frustrating.

The shadows blend in with the background, have tiny print to even show they exist, and they are buggy. The one time I got all three items one of them mysteriously transferred out of my backpack into a slot in my shared bank vaults. How is that even possible? Are the items sharable? If so, would someone please get three of them for me on Test?

Thanks to all these issues I am cut off from a lot of recipe books which makes me very unhappy as there is little point in me playing if I can't do the decorating I want. While sometimes the furniture is available on the broker the cost is usually prohibitive for someone who spends most of her play time decorating.

Unfortunately this is old content so I don't see any solution to the problem. BoL has been a mess, for me, since it was released. I accomplished TS sig lines before and since, but this one part of BoL has been my Waterloo and, unfortunately, it cuts off access to lots of great recipes. It is ruining the game for me.
  2. Twyla Well-Known Member

When you set the bug free to track, call up your map (press m), there 'should' be a BIG orange dot where the tracker is leading you. Granted some of them are difficult to get to if you can't fly yet. I also suggest making several extras. Move away from where the first one sent you then send out another one, it 'should' lead you to a different one. I hope this helps.
  3. Almee Well-Known Member

That is what I've been doing but without any luck. Yesterday, when I used the Mach II, at the zone entrance near SS City, It sent me almost to the shoreline. I thought moving away from the orange dot would either give me a better path or another site but I kept getting the same cave location. If the shadow is there it is buried in the graphics.

I think, beyond the frustration of having to kill so many mobs to do a tradeskill quest, is the disappointment that so many house furnishings require completion of adventuring quests. One item I wanted, is a reward for killing a 3^ epic--solo, after cleaning our a highly-scripted instance. I'd have to do that 7 or 8 times to get the fence posts I want. Like that will happen lol.

So I'm using an alternative, which doesn't work nearly as well, but that's what happens when fencing sections, and other furnishings, are used as rewards for high-skill adventuring.
  4. Twyla Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried moving a long distance away? Like perhaps if you are by the shroom cave cross the river and go a bit further inland? I also have trouble sometimes seeing them, I slowly move my curser around the general area where it's supposed to be and look for the arrow to change to a hand then click. Granted sometimes this gets me harvesting a node but it works.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

You have accomplished more than I have, so don't give up.
    Since I haven't even gotten into BoL for much of anything, this might not even work, but do any of the alternate vision types improve the ability to see these things? I usually have to use infrarvision to see shinies in Svarni. Also, a character with an innate alt vision ability can combine it with one of the others; sonic and infra visions work well together.

Sorry I am not at a point where I could test that suggestion out, but if it works, please update here so I will know whenever I get to that area (assuming that I get there this year, LOL).
  6. Twyla Well-Known Member

I thought of something else. If you haven't already go into your display options and turn off the grass etc. That might help too.:)
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And/or plunder items that, if you're lucky, you might find in a given dungeon if you spend your time flipping your cursor all over the place like you're back to playing Myst (for the young'ins: this was a stand-alone, single player game that enabled you to interact with EVERYTHING ON THE SCREEN. Not just enabled it, but pretty much required it; it was a gorgeous game, according to my husband, but tedious). X-P

Props, eternal props, to Denmum for making the old CE recipe books available on the Marketplace (1000 times thanks, Mum! :D), but there's a difference between encouraging Level 1 Adventurers/Level 125 Carpenter-Decorators to occasionally adventure more and requiring us to. X-P

Uwk
    Bisquette and Twyla like this.
  8. Silbermond Member

Aurelian coast this is? Without the ability to flying. Yeah I feel you. I could not finish this step all on myself. This thing pointed me to locations which seemed to be unaccessible by foot. I just could not move over the mountains. I died a thousand times until a friendly player assisted me that was high level and could fly there. He ported me over the mountains, then followed me to the locations and also cleared all the trash in the way.

This was the worst tradeskill questline experience I had so far. Absolutely terrible for low level players (which crafters that do those quests often are). The fact that new maps get more and more crowded with unaccessible mountains, crystals, platforms, water and mobs everywhere is not helping either. I actually miss the old maps that where mostly flat and not as bright and colorful as all the new stuff. And without platforms and teleporters and all this garbage.
  9. AOE1 Well-Known Member

I can totally sympathize with you on that quest. It is a real pain to do if you cannot fly. It took me a long time to figure how to dodge and run the routes needed to get to many of the places that little bugger spawns. It is doable but not usually easily. Get past that point and you will be in fine. Make extras to cast as recommended in this thread. We have all had the pleasure or displeasure of running that one. That is probably one of the worst ts quest in the series for non-fliers. Best of luck.
  10. Brewmyst Well-Known Member

what I would do for that part of the TS sig for BoL when I had already ran one of my three accounts through it, then started working on the other two. I'd make about twice as many of the tracker 2s as needed, then use one, find on my map where the flashing X was at.. Box in any of my chrs on the first account who could fly.. group up with the chr working on the sig, fly the other chr over to near where the shadows was, and use Call of the Veteran.. When I loaded back in, use a tracker again to see where I needed to go, as when I zoned, I lost the previous tracker, and the sight on the shadows. Rinse, repeat with the next 2 (logging in another chr and so on to tow the non-flyer around, with CoV, which usually worked about 90% of the time.
    AOE1 and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Sheyn Member

^^^ This

With later expansions, the Devs thoughtfully straightened out the Adventure-Ish elements creeping into the Tradeskill elements. They've even FINALLY started including House Items as Adventure Rewards.

It works one way and not both ways. Tradeskillers shouldn't be forced into Adventuring. Yet Adventurer's need another reward type other than armor / jewelry, especially when Armor is Greyed Out or just Plain Ugly. So there's a useful and fun "something" as a reward.

They DO need to go backwards, and retroactively fix older f'd up Tradeskill lines to remove Adventuring overlap.

Was fun being Adv Lvl 61 and doing the RoR Tradeskill line ... they've done a good job on recent expansions; but those old ones!!!!! Not thoughtfully done! Grrrrr

- Sheyn
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Good lord, no "mere" tradeskill questline should be that smegging complex. X-P

Uwk
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I can think of a few that could stand to be retroactively dealt with, yeah... (>cough< PoP >cough<)

Not every player primarily focusing on adventuring is gonna be thrilled about getting house items though, either, unless it's something trophy-like for the competitive aspect of such things, or something they can display that obviously says, "Yeah!! I got this for finishing this expac in a real server, not just Beta! Woot! How gratifying! :D" Many of 'em, you go to their house with the Sales Crates in there to get a good deal on something, and they might have the Crates and the free things you get by becoming a home owner in Qeynos or Freeport, and that's it... :-/

But yeah, I can also see the thing about something, anything, more than just armor or jewelry that's No-Trade, for crying out loud... can't even pass it along to someone in my own alts who could use something like that, I just have to vendor-trash it and hope it isn't also No-Value. X-P

Uwk
    Twyla likes this.
  14. AOE1 Well-Known Member

The thing that gets to some is that we work hard to get our tradeskills leveled to make items only to see that item given away as an adventure reward.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That, too. :-/

If it were something truly unique, like a sort of "You've just fought/bespelled/stole/prayed your way through this entire adventure questline! Whaddaya gonna do next? :D" kind of thing for their mantelpiece, that'd be one thing, and it would probably be appreciated by adventurers. But I take it this is just a reskin of something we've spent blood (well, aching tunnel carpals), sweat, and tears to be able to make? :-/

Uwk
    AOE1 likes this.