A level per month

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Cardenal, Feb 23, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Cardenal Guest

[p]It takes longer than 10 months to get an expansion out and raise the level cap. So for the next expansion, instead of raising the level cap by 10 at once, why not raise it by 1 level each month. For example, on the 1st of each month.[/p][ul][li]People would have something to look forward to each month (for example, the first of each month).[/li][li]The Ubah guilds might be able to raid zones that others can't, but the others would eventually catch up to them as they're moving on.[/li][li]People could enjoy exploring zones that are dangerous to traverse, and then eventually be able to pass through more easily.[/li][li]The casual gamer wouldn't fall behind the others too quickly.[/li][li]Allows SOE to more easily add content that they couldn't complete (a la Unrest)[/li][li]Keeps the zones from the previous tier desirable and active for a good while longer.[/li][/ul][p]What do you think?[/p]
  2. ARCHIVED-Zanix Guest

[p]on the surface, it sounds like a good idea, might encourage players to stick around longer, because the have to...but at the same time, you will have higher play times only in the beginning of the months and towards the end, it might drop. [/p][p]cool idea though, partially restrictive though.[/p]
  3. ARCHIVED-TerriBlades Guest

[p]This is just a terrible idea. The only good part about this would be the extra time that it would give the devs to "finish" an expansion. Allowing for 1 level a month would mean that a large part of the expansion would be unusable for the first 4 months at least, and then thats only going to be usable for the best of the best that like the challenge of fighting mobs 6-10 levels higher. You could forget about raid mobs for at least 8 months. While the preivous tiers raid mobs become more and more trival.[/p][p]Every level 70 still playing the game would crowd into the same zone, not because they wanted to, but because its the only place they can adventure. There would be little difference between doing this, and say giving us 1 overland zone and 1 indoor zone, and 1 instance for the next 4 months. I just couldnt see doing the same thing day in and day out for that long. Most, if not all the the previous tier as been ran 100 times over already. Trust me, no one would want to go back to old zones when theres new stuff to see and better gear to be had.[/p][p] On the other hand, you could just cut XP gains way down. Slow down the power levelers so it takes longer to reach cap but they can still level as fast as they want to without being forced to stop. You cant stop anyone from grinding out as fast as possible. If its one level a month, they'll hit that in 1-2 days at the current rate of xp gain. Then what? 28 days of nothing cause you cant go anywhere else? blah. [/p][p]Casual players are just that. Casual. They wont care if they are the 3rd player to 80 or the 3000th. Giving all 10 levels up front wont hinder their playstyle. Likewise, if you gave all 10 levels up front, and made leveling much slower, you wouldnt cripple anyone else playstyle either. They could still grind till their hearts content to reach cap as fast as possible. It would just be weeks or months instead of days. This lets the hardcore do what they love to do... raid. It gives the average players much more life, and leveling would actually feel like you earned it. Extremely casual players might not like it much, but with things like mentoring in game, it wouldnt be that bad.[/p]
  4. ARCHIVED-Judist Guest

[p]If you apply that rate of leveling by the time you reach lvl-80, a new expansion would be ready. If so, where's the time to gather the best T8 fabled? Most would rather hit the cap fast so they can spend the maximum amount of months raiding the high-end stuff.[/p][p] [/p]
  5. ARCHIVED-Sebastien Guest

I think it's an interesting idea but also I could see this being perceived as a lame tactic for stretching out content.
  6. ARCHIVED-darkangel1 Guest

[p]The majority of players in the game now are level 70 or almost lvl 70. A new level cap of 80 would make many of the exsisting zones useless and loot worthless/greyed out. Therefore making content/loot extremely small for that lvl cap. If any level increase is added with the new expansion it will more than likely be only a 5 lvl increase as to not make zones such as KoS obsolete, and still allowing it to be a benefical and playable zone. Until more content/loot is added to the game , we will not see lvl 80 for a while. [/p][p] [/p]
  7. ARCHIVED-DobyMT Guest

[p] I don't mean to pick your post alone here, there are plenty more that make just as little sense. EVERY expansion that has raised a level cap has greyed outold content. That's the purpose. I don't understand how people can be so anti-progress that they would be against a level increase. When DoF came out, it greyed out content. When KoS came out, it greyed out content. EoF WITHOUT a cap increase greyed out KoS generally speaking.[/p][p]Anyone who was done with KoS content does't go back there for the hell of it, they do EoF. KoS loot is crap compared to what EoF brings, and AA xp is done there. And with the new stat cap increases, KoS mobs are pathetic. Every expansion is for progress, and to not increase the level cap is the dumbest idea that anyone could think of.[/p]
  8. ARCHIVED-darkangel1 Guest

9. ARCHIVED-Brorimed Guest

[p]It's a funny idea :) [/p][p]I think however the complexities of raising the level cap has to [/p][p]be worked all the way through to the end before it goes live.[/p][p]Even small changes can ruin everything. [/p][p] [/p][p]Yours[/p][p]Brorim[/p]
  10. ARCHIVED-kcirrot Guest

We don't need more levels. We need more content. More levels is just grinding to make a number bigger.
  11. ARCHIVED-MullenSkywatcher Guest

I disagree, I like leveling. More levels, more spells/combat arts, more AA abilities plsthks!
  12. ARCHIVED-ChildofHate Guest

[p]You just turned EverQuest into ForEverQuest with that idea. 1 level a month... so after a year my Level 1 toon would be L12... after 5x12 years i would be level 60? Woohoo!! i can finally effectively raid DoF!!! wait... didn't that come out 67 years ago? dang it... oh crap, are the MB forums right? The guild leader died!?!? Well, the old fart was 82, but at least he was able to finally see Living Tombs. Poor bas-****... i know he was lookin forward to finishin his Prismatic 2 as well.[/p][p]Keep in mind, i know you meant for this idea to only affect the next expansion but you have to realize, whatever gameplay affecting system that is implimented in one expansion WILL DIRECTLY AFFECT EVERYTHING THAT CAME OUT PRIOR. Everything.[/p]
  13. ARCHIVED-Conequis Guest

Honestly I don't look forward to new spells because they are just regurgitations of other lower level spells. I do like when there is a totally new spell that we get that we haven't gotten in previous expansions though but that is usually just one spell.
  14. ARCHIVED-Obadiah Guest

Hey, uh, the OP said the level CAP goes up by 1 every month. . . not each toon can only gain 1 level per month. Someone suggested something similar to this a long time ago, and I thought it was a good idea. Doesn't have to be time restricted though, and it doesn't necessarily have to be one level at a time. I think I've suggested this before, but what about making it player dependent. Like the froglok thingie. At expansion launch the cap is raised to 72. Once some guild has managed to complete a questline and take out mob X, it increases to 74. Repeat as necessary. And you probably wouldn't be able to defeat the next mob until you've geared up with t8 fabled items to some degree. At this stage I think I'd rather just not see the cap increase though. As someone else said, spells/CAs are just reiterations of the same old things from previous tiers.
  15. ARCHIVED-Vorlak Guest

[p]i cant say i agree to capping a players limit by time....[/p][p]I would rather make the game level curve more of a progression by doing the content and following "A" story line there could be multipal lines you follow that grant you differnt spells/abilities.[/p][p]so t3 a player has a choice of TS or Nek as there zones well in those zones you have Varsoon and Nek Castle so in order to advance to the next tier you must complete the quest line and at the end it requires you kill the end mob of that tier, but you would still get xp like normal.[/p]
  16. ARCHIVED-Hadanelith Guest

[p]Going to address your points in respective order here:[/p][ul][li]This is a good idea, but can be done in a way other than staggering a new level-cap[/li][li]This is already true, and levels have nothing to do with it. Has to do with player skill/dedication and overall equipment.[/li][li]This, also, is already true any time you release an expansion with a new level cap, or even without one. Nizara used to be a 6-hour venture, now it can be done in 1.5-2hours by a group that knows what they're doing. Before that, Sanctum of the Scaleborn and HoF were both (once upon a time) nigh-impossible to complete. Now both are farmed with regularity.[/li][li]The casual gamer is on relatively equal footing when it comes to levelling-up, as they don't have raid schedules to get in the way of XP grinding. Staggering the level-cap progression won't help the important matters - casual players fall behind in terms of Master spells and equipment, which woud not be addressed in the slightest by a staggered level-cap.[/li][li]SOE can already add content they couldn't complete at any time and in any fashion they choose, ala Unrest. All you need to do to add a new zone is make an old, random, useless door (and many exist) into a new zoning point, or destroy an wall or barrier somewhere to make a zoneline, or dig a tunnel someplace. Staggering level-caps and other such things would actually SLOW implementation of these things due to the staggered work on other updates.[/li][li]The entire point of adding new content is to do one of two things: introduce a new tier (power-creep & MUDflation) OR add content to existing tiers and new gameplay elements. DoF and KoS are examples of the former, whereas Adventure Packs are an example of the latter. EoF is a rare example of something between, as levelcaps were not increased yet Spells were upgraded (through EoF Achievements) and items of significantly greater power added without raising the level cap.[/li][/ul][p]Most of your points don't hold water just because they're either things that already ARE being done, or things that SOE COULD be doing but for some reason chooses not to. Staggering the level progression would, I believe you'd find, irritate people more than satisfy them. There are many people who like to grind out new levels and then go exploring / questing with their newfound power, some that like exploring / questing WHILE levelling up (at least one of these two elements would be hindered by level-stagger), and relatively few who choose not to level in favor of fully exploring current content. In EQ2, at least, you can always experience content you passed by Mentoring if you so choose.[/p]
    [p]In case you hadn't noticed, Unrest is ALL YELLOW to 70, which means it'd be blue or just barely green to level 80. Oh yeah, and that's totally ignoring the Level 80 EpicX2 mob in the zone. Nizara's similar only it's all Heroic and there's no level 80.[/p][p]Similarly, all EoF zones are yellow to 70, and MMIS is largely Orange (in terms of nameds). A level-cap increase to 80 with new raidzones would only do the same thing with EoF as EoF did to KoS - make it a viable opportunity for equipment and raid-experience in order to prepare for the newest of the new. Believe it or not, but unless they introduce entirely new SetArmors for the primary slots with the next Expansion with even better Focus Effects, there will be a LOT of people who still enjoy EoF Fabled Sets and want to have them. (To be fair there will be many that don't care as well, but the tier will not be 100% trivialized). EOF is actually one of the best Expansions ever released across MMO history with the single flaw being that NOT ENOUGH high-level things were added; I believe SOE knows this and that's why they've given themselves so much more time to make the Kunark expansion than they took from KoS to EoF - they're going to have a hell of a time besting themselves this time.[/p][p]Also, one final point - We have an example of what good "Staggered Content" does right now. It's called the Swords of Destiny timeline. Newsflash for you: having around 1,000+ level 55-70 players PER SERVER all needing a strict 2-hour respawn NPC at nearly the exact same time is NOT cool. Did I mention only a maximum of 6 can get the update(s) from this NPC at a time? When things get staggered out, all you get is a lot of aggrivation and frustration as too many people compete over too few things, and NOBODY gets bragging rights over how quickly they did something (like people could with Claymore weapons, for example) because there's no opportunity to get siginficantly further ahead of anyone else.[/p][p]-Hadanelith Raswrolski / Mossda Odis'Ossda, Kithicor Server[/p][p] [/p][p] [/p][p] [/p]
  17. ARCHIVED-quamdar Guest

releasing things like this just pisses people off. like the sword of destiny quest line now that they are releasing bit by bit, all it does is make people not care about it because as soon as you get involved in doing it the quest is over and you wait a month to do anything else.