A good level to betray?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Yelgarf, Jun 27, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-ElsaRat Guest

I'm getting better at it, and it's getting lest frustrating. Today I ported into the steps from Haven and made it all the way to the village without getting killed. ^^ I prefer not to use online maps more than I have to, at least at first, to learn by exploring.
  2. ARCHIVED-Dulwin Guest

So this betrayal thing intrigues me. I have a bruiser that I started this weekend and is 15 and in TD doing his exp gearing up. I was thinking of betraying to Kelethin but my original thoughts were that this would be tough. I know I have to technically citizenship to freeport then betray them, but when I read the timeline it appears to be easier then I once thought. I must be missing something. The faction in Kelethin I thought would be a pain, but in looking at the faction quests, which are repeatable, I see the first one grants +3000 faction and amiable is at 10000 faction. So do that 4 times and you are already able to wander the city, granted now as a monk in this case.

What am I missing? It appears to be something enormous....
  3. ARCHIVED-ElsaRat Guest

Dulwin wrote:
    Dulwin wrote:
    As a denizen of Freeport or Neriak, you start with a considerable negative faction in Kelethin that must be brought to zero before being brought to +10,000, so it definitely takes more than 4 such quests. I'm currently doing the Kelethin quests as well as the those for Qeynos, as I want to have positive faction with both cities. Currently, the epic guards near the royal temple kill me on sight if I get too close (you would have thought Gibrien might have warned me when directing me to the royal temple to talk to the people there); I want to be able to travel through both cities freely. Kelethin does seem to be easier to gain faction with that Qeynos, based on the few quests I've done so far.

As a new person who is doing the betrayal at level 12-16, it is fun, but there are a few things to be aware of. The game is set up in the areas I've seen to guide you as you level up from 1 to 20. You meet npc's that send you on quests appropriate to your level, and as you accomplish them they point you to further npc's and further appropriate areas. It can get rough on occasion, but you're never completely out of your league.

The betrayal itself isn't so difficult, but when you betray, you leave all that, becoming homeless and quite possibly finding yourself in areas that are designed for much higher level than you. To get to Greater Faedark for example, you need to go through Nektulos and through the Butcher Block Mountains. It's fun, but you're traveling, doing your best to stay out of the agro-range of monsters all over the place that can kill you in a single shot, and while you learn, if you're like me, you die a lot. Betraying in the mid-twenties would certainly be easier that way.
  4. ARCHIVED-lstead Guest

You need to be over 10, maybe 12-15 just to do the travel. The real key to betrayal is to always betray to Neriak or Kelethin, never to Freeport or Qeynos. Both of the new zones have very fast easy repeatable quests.

To betray to Neriak, collect the totems--you can make a circle around the zone and repeat it.

Betrayal to Kelethin is even easier, take basic biodiversity and cancel and take again until you get the kill three orc quests, then head straight out the door to orc hill, kill three and repeat.

After you get Kelethin or Neriak citizenship, you can then do a simple quest to switch to Qeynos or Freeport citizenship.
  5. ARCHIVED-Nighrbringer Guest

/sigh
    i remember betraying my summoner from Freeport to Queynos back when the game first came out. The quests (and the game) have changed a lot since then.
  6. ARCHIVED-Sabatini Guest

Nightbringer@Everfrost wrote:
    I understand fully where your sigh came from. I betrayed my ratongan rogue (yes rogue) back in the first days of the game to become one of the first Ratongan swashbucklers on Lucan. There were no guides, no clue even what awaited me upon getting to Qeynos. I just knew when buying the game I had to be a Ratongan and a Swashbuckler no matter what it took.
    Sneaking across the nightmare that was Nek forest in those days with no map, no directions, no clear roads, no non-aggro mobs, no griffon towers and no cheap tickets was one of the most harrowing experiences I've ever had in this game. Also the most memorable. Seeing the bright skies of Antonica the first time through a Betrayer's eyes is something I'll never ever forget.
    Also had to do the whole damn quest suffering from 3 day (real time) rez sickness caused by an unrecoverable spirit shard (remember those?). And it had to be done before level 15 or you never could. It was just insane in retrospect. Those days are long gone though and I dont really blame them for making the process much, much (much) easier. I wouldnt wish the original version on anyone. But it did lose a little something special.
    But yeah the advice others gave before I went careening down Nostalgia lane is pretty solid.
  7. ARCHIVED-ElsaRat Guest

I got some of that challenge in betraying. I avoided looking at the maps online and wandered through Nektulos and the steppes and got killed a lot. It was a thrill finding Antonica, and rp'ing with a friendly monk there. I'm avoiding the more boring betrayal quests in favor of the search and rescue type missions in Freeport (I died ten times before rescuing the diplomat). It's slower, but I'm having fun, and I'm learning about the game.