A few more official words on the /pizza command (CNN.com)

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Solandri, Feb 28, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Solandri Guest

Haven't really had too much against the /pizza command as of yet, but this did raise an eyebrow.
    Here's the link and a quote:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.games/02/28/sony.pizza.order.ap/index.html

Chris Kramer, spokesman for Sony Online Entertainment, said he believes this is the first time a game accepts orders for real-world items.
    Sony plans to integrate the pizza function more tightly into the game, so players can charge pizza to their monthly game subscription bill.
    "The goal for the future is to eventually let people do more things like this," Kramer said. "They could type /harry potter and get the new Harry Potter book delivered or /star wars and get the new Star Wars DVD."

EDIT: Just noticed the 'Yahoo' post about this looks the same, it's all coming from the AP. Sorry about the repost.
    Message Edited by Solandri on 02-28-2005 01:15 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-Supafroius Guest

Lol! This get's funnier and funnier. =p
  3. ARCHIVED-Despak Guest

Still not available in UK :(
  4. ARCHIVED-Gleamhammer Guest

Actually this command works great for launching your browser while ingame. My method for ordering pizza while playing?

1. Type /pizza.
    2. When browser launches at the default Pizza Hut site, browse to the Papa John's website.
    3. Order pizza online from Papa John's.
    4. Kick back and wait for delivery chuckling at the irony.
  5. ARCHIVED-Tseramed Guest

*IF* I ordered Pizza Hut via this command, I'd remove the referral tag in the URL before placing my order.

The last thing I want is for Pizza Hut to think I'm actually buying due to the EQ partnership.

Tseramed
  6. ARCHIVED-drewsil Guest

Lol as far as these things go this particular command is exceptionally unobtrusive. Yes it is marketing and hence evil by definition, but it is one of the least offensive examples I have ever seen. Please tell me with a straight face that you think nobody who plays everquest II orders pizza while playing, or even more specifically orders from pizza hut. I'd venture a substantially larger portion of EQ2 players do so than the regular population. As such adding a convenient option to the game which hurts noone is not a bad idea by any stretch of the imagination.

If they started popping up ads saying "\pizza is the way to go" and "pizza hut is teh uber stuff" well that would be different (ie. I would cancel my account). As it is I think you should leave the referal in the address, any positive reinforcement of unobtrusive features is a good thing.
  7. ARCHIVED-Spudsin Guest

I agree with drewsil here, it's EXTREMELY unobtrusive. SOE put 1 line into patch notes, 1 line into the eq2players blurb, and a small icon to introduce it.

From this, they get a small fee every time you use the link (and don't remove the referal code) and order from Pizza Hut. What's this do for you? Well, makes it easy to launch a browser, and if you like/use Pizza Hut, even better. It also gives them more revenue, without costing you anything, or taking up more than 30 seconds of your time once(ignoring these threads).

SOE Marketing must be EXTREMELY happy with these threads, it's all free advertising for this product placement.
  8. ARCHIVED-Gleamhammer Guest

Now all they need is a /Mountain Dew command.
  9. ARCHIVED-Aera Guest

/harry potter?

Because everyone has the urge to read a book when they're playing EQ. :p
  10. ARCHIVED-Furg Guest

Is it available anywhere outside the US?
  11. ARCHIVED--AtPlay- Guest

12. ARCHIVED-Despak Guest

Nah they are finding it hard to code a queue and 5 minutes of being ignored into the UK version
  13. ARCHIVED-Dazzler_Twodirks Guest

Too bad the only Pizza Hut within delivery range to here is run out of a Taco Bell.
    They only make those puny overpriced pizzas and don't deliver.

As for the Harry Pothead and Star Wars things don't give them any ideas.