A few EQ2 lore questions...

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by TheDarkener34, Aug 19, 2017.

1. TheDarkener34 New Member

Ok so I have a few questions about the lore of Everquest 1 and 2. You don't have to answer all of them but if you know the answer to one of these questions please reply with the answer, thanks!

1. What were the Ratonga, Aerakyn, Freeblood, Fae and Arasai doing for the last 500 years? Why weren't they here for the last 500 years and just now become a playable race?
    2. Weren't the Sarnak enemies to everyone back in Everquest 1? how did they become neutral with the evil races?
    3. What happened to the Drakkin from Everquest 1? Where are they now?
  2. Kelvmor Active Member

1) The Ratonga were locked within the Vault of Serilis, a place where Brell kept some of his creations that he feared too much to let free, but loved too much to destroy. The Roekillik breed of ratmen are another of these; they found their way to the surface world within the last 50-60 years. The Freebloods, meanwhile, are a very recently-created strain of lesser vampire; they are weaker than normal vampires, and have only been around for the last...what, 5 or 6 years, I think? The Fae were once tiny fairies living in the Lesser Faydark, but some spark of Growth/Tunare turned them into the larger variants we see today; they took over Kelethin after the wood elves abandoned it to live in Qeynos after the War of the Fay. The Arasai are an evil offshoot of the Fae, created by the Teir'Dal Queen Cristanos Thex by torturing Fae spirits within the last...I'm not sure exactly how long, actually, but long enough for there to be Arasai adults. The Aerakyn, meanwhile, are from another timeline entirely, brought forth by the prismatic dragon Kerafyrm within the last 4 years to serve as slave soldiers, but freed upon Kerafyrm's defeat, and granted citizenship to Freeport and Qeynos (and the other cities) after being forgiven for fighting for Kerafyrm.

2) The Sarnak you see as a playable race today are a new breed of Sarnak. Their creators are unknown, but they are notably larger and stronger than the original Sarnak, and have more obviously draconic features. When Kunark was rediscovered nine years ago/the Rise of Kunark expac was released, the Sarnak nation of Gorowyn became a vassal-state to the City of Freeport, but Gorowyn is not hostile to members of the alliance of Halas, Kelethin, and Qeynos. They are a lawful and honorable people, but lean more towards neutral when it comes to morality. It should be noted, however, that the original breed of Sarnak still exist, but refer to themselves as "Di'Zok" or "Sarnshak" now; they remain hostile to everyone, but you can gain their trust through faction quests.

3) EverQuest II takes place in a timeline split from EverQuest 1. Back during the Planes of Power expansion, there was the Plane of Time raid, where Druzzil Ro was forced to reset time to a point before we killed all the gods during the various raids of that expac. Because EQ2 diverged from EQ1's timeline at the time of the Legacy of Ykesha expac (Plane of Time raid wasn't completed for the first time until after the next expac released, so LoY is the divergant point) the Drakkin either never existed, or were destroyed during the Age of Cataclysms that followed the gods leaving in EQ2's timeline.
    Mavet13, ConcealFate, Finora and 7 others like this.
  3. santargria Well-Known Member

Um 2 words... Freakin' Amazing!!!!

Thanks for that history lesson!
    Kelvmor, Prissetta and Spindle like this.
  4. TheDarkener34 New Member

Damn that was a whole lot of info, literally had those questions in my head for a year or two! Now I know some Everquest lore!
    Kelvmor likes this.
  5. Kelvmor Active Member

My pleasure! I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

Kelvmor is a font of knowledge =).

As far as the Drakkin, it's my understanding they never existed in the timeline that EQ2 is on at all. Aerakyn are what we have instead.
    Kelvmor and santargria like this.