85-95 quest XP must be adjusted.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Kalika, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Kalika Well-Known Member

I write 85-90 but i fully agree that 90-95 is terrible, 85-90 is almost ok.
    I said that i want alternatives, a well oiled grind group should, may be, bring twice more xp per hour than questing, solo grinding should be inferior or equal to solo questing.

So we sort of agree, i don't want to enforce questing but grinding should not be the only way to level.
    Indeed if both alternative were bringing comparable xp/hour i would certainly do both.
  2. napu Member

5% per quest is probably a bit much, but I played a character who ran through the entire coe questline, and the tov questline (on 100% to level xp) and he was still only about halfway through 94 when he had nothing but the dungeons left.

edit : although i did skip cobalt scar, i guess the following timeline would have got me to 95
  3. Atan Well-Known Member

There doesn't need to be any correlation between the amount of content and how rewarding a quest is. The quest and its reward should stand alone as a value of time and effort for a reward. Honestly we shouldn't even factor how much you can mob grind in the same time the quest took.

Just looking at the quest series, the effort done, when you turn it in, do you as a player notice a measured reward? Do you feel rewarded by it? Did this reward contribute to your enjoyment of your time invested in that gameplay?

Those are subjective questions and answers, and I'm sure some here feel the current system is rewarding and would give positive feedback to those measures. However I would bet a substantial amount that the majority of mmorpg players would give very negative responses to those prompts after completing 50 quests level 88 to 92 in EQ2.
    Charlice, Kalika and Deveryn like this.
  4. Torri Active Member

I seem to remember a massive outcry when Kunark was released for the exact opposite reason. Well-geared EoF raiders made groups and tore through the Heroic contested zones and reported the same horrid experience that people now feel they get from questing. People doing the solo overland quests were leveling much faster than the contested dungeon grinders. After awhile Sony did listen, and they boosted the exp gain for groups grinding in Heroic content

As stated earlier. 90+ exp on the whole requires much more in terms of raw numbers due to earning Prestige Points, so it naturally slows down compared to pre-90. Perhaps the post 90 quests do need an exp boost. They all reward over a plat IIRC, so I'd say money rewards are fine
  5. Atan Well-Known Member

As someone that screamed loudly about this in RoK that is exactly what happened, and when the content was still relevant the grinding was still too low.

Its only as the content became irrelevant that it became possible to room pull contested dungeons and one shot dozens of mobs per minute did the grind outpace the questing.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  6. Darkhorse Member

I tested this last night in my favorite grinding spot. I have a 90 I'm trying to level and I got exactly 1/2 a level in 30mins with a 1 hour 110% EXP potion running. so I was way off when I said it took me 6 hours to gain a level. My advice, grind dungeons when you need to and run quests when you need armor upgrades. That is if you want to fly through the content.

If you aren't familiar with the game, take it slow... finish all of the quests in zones.. there are still a ton of great areas with really good quests that give you items that you may use when you're 95. I still find quest's I didn't know where there with items that are fantastic. I recently discovered the Bogstrutter quest, an item that gives you 35% movement in dungeons ( doesn't stack with some spells ) all you have to do is fly around Moors of Yakesha and bam, an item you'll use for the rest of your time playing. Some zones will give you a cool item when you finish all of the quests. tenebrous tangle gives out a cloud (ground) mount. I'm sure there are other examples but this game has tons of awesome content and items just like that.

Quests = items and cool stuff
    Grinding some dungeons = fast leveling
  7. DreadRoberts Active Member

In WL currently. Pulling out my hair, which is as tedious as the progression since I keep my head buzzed (no guard on the clippers). But I did finally hit 93. I frequently stop the wild chase for 95, chrono down and explore other things, complete writs, etc., just to unwind.

Hey, wait... ;)
  8. Kalika Well-Known Member

What you say about fun/cool stuff is totally valid till 90. I actually enjoyed soloing heroic with all kind of classes (including my conversion which i finished at 87 with only help for the queen).

But once you hit 90 ? The level 95 is so much better than anything you can get from 90 to 95 that it does not matter.
    There is no cool stuff, handcrafted 91 is good enough.

The only content that is till relevant beyond 90 is the heritage quest that grants you manatone 3.