4K UI support

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Shadowpaw, May 23, 2020.

1. Shadowpaw New Member

Hi dont know where the best place to post this, but since its almost gamebreaking i post it under bugs..

I resently came back to the game and noticed that the game looks great on my 4K monitor, BUT!! the UI text is so tiny i get an headache playing the game, tried all sort of tricks like nothing has worked so far. When i try google the problem the general respons seems to be to play at a lower resolution (makes the game look fuzzy for some reason). The community thats usually very informed basicly says its a dev problem.

So devs?? can you fix so that people with higher resolution monitors doesnt have to get an headache from playing your game? I have a hard time believing that im the only one in this situation.

TY
    Mazser, Acuba and Tkia like this.
  2. Nunja Well-Known Member

Right click chat window for chat options...font size at the bottom with a slider. Options, user interface, tooltips....font size slider and game windows if you want the bubble font size.
  3. Shadowpaw New Member

Yupp done all that, doesnt help with the text of the game itself like the questtracker or names over npc heads, the bubble font sized helped alot, but sadly alot is still tiny..
  4. Nunja Well-Known Member

In other forums it is said to try changing your resolution in game.
  5. Shadowpaw New Member

Yes ive tried that, game doesnt look nearly as good at lower resolution (gets kind of fuzzy). 4K is the native resolution for my screen and the picture is by far the best in 4K.

You would think that since the game support a resolution of 4K there should be a built in support for the fonts to be scaleable, i imagine that more and more people are using bigger wider higher resolution monitors. So this problem is only going to escalate as time goes by, and if the devs dont do anything about it its going to escalete the demise of the game (because who plays a game that forces you to switch to an older smaller monitor??)
  6. Benj Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the game "supports" 4K resolution. It might be that the game asks the OS/GPU what resolutions are available and runs with it. UI elements like text and icons certainly don't scale well on 4K, especially on High DPI monitors. Most of us have given up hope on modern graphics or any upgrade because the dev team is just too small to do that and make new content. What do you expect from a 15 year old game?
  7. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

One trick would be for them to allow mods of the files for those parts, not sure how easy it would be to implement, but if third-party UI could scale every text, at least it would bring people the ability to have better texts at higher resolutions (and better text for those with poor eyesight too).
    Tkia likes this.
  8. Acuba New Member

I would also like to see this done. I play on dual 4k 50" monitors. The game looks amazing. The UI looks microscopic. so I'm forced to play fullscreen 1400 with a text mod I found and then went through line by line to scale as much as possible.
    It's like this: monitors are only getting higher in resolutions, but we're not getting any younger. Our eyes ain't what they used to be, ya know. Might be time to look into doing a ui update. Even if that's just to allow the UI to be scaleable the way bags, hotbars, and tooltips are.
  9. Tagg Member

Switch to DarqUI it has support for high resolution monitors. you can chage aspects of the game UI like to Quest Tracker to be larger in the DarqUI settings APP (not in game itself)

https://www.eq2interface.com/downloads/info4997-DarqUIUnified.html

a
    nd since it isn't easy finding instructions on where to change certain aspects of your UI to be larger. this is where you would do it.

Example for the quest tracker, click the column for size and set the quest tracker to Large
    https://i.imgur.com/rs8fkpo.png
  10. Avithax Well-Known Member

When I swapped to 4k I had to change my UI around a lot and finally settled on DarqUI.I had been previously using an outdated custom UI that wasnt being updated.

I'm not sure if your would consider a custom UI but in my case it is a game changing addition that enables so many more options that the generic UI just cant compete with.

That said: using 4k on EQ2 is like serving beans on expensive china flatware.
  11. Acuba New Member

I actually did try DarqUI, but I couldn't make it do anything I wanted to do. Even the "L" versions of the windows are still pretty small. Still think they should look into updating the UI. 4k might be overkill for EQ2, but tech is always moving in the direction. EQ2s' Ui really needs to be a bit more forward compatible imo