4K Res, how do you scale things proper?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Altho, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Altho Well-Known Member

Is there any way to make the game look right in 4k? The graphics are really nice at this res but the UI is soooo small now. Anyone running this in 4 or even 2k have advice on UI?
  2. Entropy Well-Known Member

Hotkeys can scale, chat font can scale, custom UIs can scale certain windows. You should be ok with that.
  3. Vokan Well-Known Member

Do you know which custom UI? I use Darq and I cant find anything to change mine, or at least the ones I want to increase. And yes chat and hotkeys, but really seems like everything should be able to change size. Regretting the money on spent on a 1080Ti card and 3 4k monitors as they really make it tough to play.
  4. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

I regard 4K as not quite ready for mainstream so I went with 2 27 inch 2K monitors.

Can you set the game to run @ 2560 x 1440 on your 4K?

If you can, you will find that the windows are at a perfect size to play the game.

*edit* And I use Profit CE
  5. Altho Well-Known Member

1440 on my 28 almost looks ok but not quite, the char window and broker still has pretty small icons/text
  6. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

Here's my broker and character sheet at 2K (windowed). (click for full-size)

[IMG]
  7. Altho Well-Known Member

Thats not bad, that ui would take some getting used to though
  8. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

IMO it is better than the vanilla UI for sure.
  9. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

4k with standard monitor sizes (27"-32") is tough as it will require scaling for comfortable use. Since scaling is not equal across all applications and games, you'll eventually run into a game or application where it's problematic. I spent a good amount of time researching solutions to this a couple years back, and I believe that if you want 4K without having to rely on any scaling, you'll need a monitor size of 37-42". I decided to go with a 40" 4k monitor, which allows me to play EQ2 and other games without the need to scale the UI. Even still, there are some games where I still need to increase scaling to play comfortable (Lotro is one that comes to mind).
  10. Altho Well-Known Member

Mine is a 28, I think anything beyond is gonna start getting ridiculous for my desk. Then again I said the same thing when I got my 24.
  11. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

Yea, I was a little concerned at first, and it took some adjusting. Now though, when I do any gaming on a common screen size, I don't know how I did it before :D

Obviously, you'd need a desk that can handle that size of screen, and you'd want to sit at least 2-3 feet away from it.