3rd Party Programs

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Brezard, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Brezard New Member

Using 3rd party programs to get character ID's for use in macros is not okay. Due to the holidays, we were unable to address this in a timely manner. Consider any use previous to this post a freebie.

We will be taking action against those who abuse this in the future.

K. "Kander" Vallée
    Lead Designer, EverQuest II
    Sony Online Entertainment, LLC

Since the thread above was locked and comment or query couldn't be made I'm writing here.
    I'm naive as to what this means and would like to know more about it. The reason I ask is this. Some years ago I purchased a second account. I'm a fairly ordinary player who rarely has the opportunity to group and found that questing with a healer in tow was much more fun. It was my version of the mercenaries of today.

I do not use anything other than two accounts and a second monitor. I load the game twice and run both accounts simultaneously clicking from screen to screen depending on the action taking place. Sure I use a macro (in built in the game) to target/assist and follow the main character.

If my computer was fast enough no doubt I could run a third or even fourth account with the second monitor having the second and third sized to fit the monitor. So where do we draw the line with this? Personally I find myself busy enough clicking across the two screen/accounts. Now with mercenaries in tow along with the two accounts in play, I have a ball. There is no way in the world I could manage at-level dungeons or the like. It is just a different way to make the game fun.

Do I appear to be a cheat to other players? I don't believe I'm cheating at all - I just have to concentrate a little more and be faster in my actions - nothing more.
  2. Treejay Active Member

youre fine.
    Neiloch and Finora like this.
  3. Feldon Well-Known Member

This change has been made to prevent a very specific type of behavior which involves a third-party program. If you have no idea what this announcement is talking about, then it is extremely unlikely that you're doing anything that would run afoul of the rules.
    Treiko, Wirewhisker, aspekx and 2 others like this.
  4. Regolas Well-Known Member

I have no idea what they're talking about but I'm so intrigued. Not because I want to do it, but just because I'm curious what was done and how.

I felt the same way about krono duping, etc.
  5. Ucala Well-Known Member

there was a video of said people doing the act that many people watched
  6. Brezard New Member

and

Now I'm doubly intrigued - I think I've been living under a rock way out back of Antonica somewhere!
  7. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I guess I've been under a rock, too, as I'm totally lost as to what all this third party stuff is...
    TarnaX likes this.
  8. WafflesnCyanide Member

In order to prevent the wrath of the forum-lords i am going to be fairly vague.

The issue with the third party programs is that certain individuals were using them to trivialize/automate certain scripted encounters by datamining information from the game's datastream.

As long as you arent doing things like that, you should be fine. Multi-Boxing as far as i am aware is perfectly allowed as long as it is not automated. (there is some gray area regarding the use of keystroke multipliers/replicators)
  9. Estred Well-Known Member

To be blunt even Multiboxing (Running multiple accounts from one machine under the control of one player either manually or through macros) is also frowned upon and technically in the same category as Botting. It's players who don't consider Boxing as bad as Botting however without disclosing information I do know that Boxing is considered as bad as Botting from the standpoint of some GM's who will remain nameless in this public location.

From the rules standpoint they are the same offense just varying degrees of that offense.
    - From one who would like to think they aren't considered a Forum Lord by some.

God that title would sound so stuffy :D
  10. Ucala Well-Known Member

Multiboxing is completely fine. It has "turned the other cheek" for Soe people. Unless you are multiboxing in contested areas and messing with other peoples kills. than you are gonna have an issue. if you want to mess with someone do it solo :p
  11. Brezard New Member

Wow! So where can we look to gain "official" standpoint on this. I'm truly astounded that simply running two accounts simultaneously on one computer with nothing other than my own hands and the EQII program that I would be breaking rules.

I was always of the belief that if I wasn't using any form of program other than EQII as it stands and that I was totally in control of the actions on my two accounts then it was ok. Without me continually controlling the actions of both accounts simultaneously - the characters would be standing still.

I really need to be pointed to the rules and in particular rules that can be easily understood without a lot of mumbo jumbo. You've got to watch out for us 66 year old Grannies these days - we are a dangerous lot.

ps I know what boxing is but what is botting?
  12. WafflesnCyanide Member

Brezard, Botting is generally defined as unattended automation of gameplay.

For example, you might have a program that runs around an area and clicks/loots shinys. Or perhaps one that kills/loots mobs.

The key definition of botting is it being uninteractive as in you are not pressing any keys and the program (robot) is playing the game for you.

I have heard from a few sources that Multi-boxing is defined as legal. Even including the use of software multiplexers as long as you are physically hitting buttons. and one button press = one action (that button press may be replicated through multiplexers legally from what i am hearing)
    aspekx likes this.
  13. Estred Well-Known Member

I sent you a PM.

Boxing: The act of running multiple accounts on one Machine. Each account is controlled by a singular player at the same time either through Alt-Tab manual control or through the use of Game Macro's or Macro-Keyboards.

Botting: The act of running multiple accounts on one Machine. Each account is controlled not by a player but by a Program. I would provide an example but I do not wish to make Botting Software a easily findable software through me.

I hope that answers your question.
  14. Ucala Well-Known Member

in short answer. Boxing is something you could do with 2. maybe 3 accounts. Botting can be done much bigger, 18 people+
  15. Prayos Well-Known Member

Boxing has always and forever been "legal" or "ok" with SOE. I've never heard of anyone being banned for boxing. Not even boxing group content. And boxing doesn't necessarily have to be done on a single machine. People box on two and three, hence "multi-boxing".

What is not, and has NEVER been okay is the unattended running of your character. Even back in EQ1, and still in EQ2, a pet class who AFK'd in an area where their pet could solo, was considered a form of "botting" and severely frowned upon.

I've gone back and forth with CSR's, and it really is a touchy subject. But what it really boils down to is this, if someone can send you a tell, and you can respond in a reasonable amount of time, you're okay. You need to be able to respond at any given moment, even if they don't suspect you of botting.
    aspekx and Estred like this.
  16. Daalilama Well-Known Member

I assume a large chunk of SLR's will take a hit..
  17. Brezard New Member

For someone who has played in excess of 8 years I'm such a noob still.
    What are SLR's? For me they are cameras!
    Anyway thank you everyone who has contributed to this thread. I am now far more well informed on this subject and will take all advice as information well received.

If you ever see me or my characters standing still around Norrath you can be well assured I'm afk. My life style means this happens a lot and is one of the reasons for the style of play I've had up until now. If my characters are moving then I'm here at the controls answering tells, replying to chat and generally helping players, guildies and friends alike. One of my greatest pleasures is being able to pass on the goodwill and gifts I can create in game to the multitude of new players I find each day. The reactions from recipients really makes my day and game play complete.
  18. Estred Well-Known Member

SLR stands for Selling Loot Rights an action by which a player is essentially selling the right to come loot a chest of a boss he killed.

Say I slew a boss and something like the Highroller Hoops dropped. I could say "SLR [Item Name] High Keep, 200p" in chat. What this means is

"Selling Loot Rights to the chest containing Highroller Hoops from the High Keep instance, bidding starts at 200p"

Commonly players bid in 10, 50 or 100 platinum increments. Once the bidding closes I have someone drop my group and I invite the person who bought the item. They trade me the coin and I assign them the item via Leader Loot Rights. Afterwards I reinvite my missing Group member and divide the coin between us.

In-Game Text Link: \aITEM 815822466 -142998583:Highroller Hoops\/a
  19. Brezard New Member

Thanks for the explanation Estred - I've really learnt heaps today thanks to yourself and the others here.
    Somehow I don't think I'll ever need to follow up on SLR's - too rich for my needs - simple quester/crafter here who dabbles in the housing market :)
  20. Corydonn Well-Known Member

Botting your own groups really needs to be cracked down upon by the GMs. WoW has taken measures to ban it and EQ2 should follow suit.

Especially since it causes a monumental amount of lag that most game hosting services ask that you don't bot when you buy a server to use as your own.