10 new AAs - Wizard

Discussion in 'Mages' started by SgtPmpkn, Apr 8, 2014.

1. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

Starting a thread to suggestions to place the 10 new AAs. Any particular tree people are looking to fill in points?
  2. Plinc Active Member

Dragon Tree -> Ancient Fury -> Resist Break
  3. Genghes Active Member

I've always wondered why wizard don't use fireshape from the wizards tree. Wouldn't it allow for higher damage firery blasts making all offensive spells fire based since most wizard have the aa that makes fire based spells do an additional 5% dmg?
  4. Venaki New Member

Well, I use fireshape in combination with the aa that increases heat spell damage. I don't know if it's a mistake or what (we don't have any aa that increases our cold spells, so frigid gift... don't think it's the best idea), but I'm quite happy with that. If any wizard may explain us why is better using frigid gift for converting all to cold spells will be great!
  5. Azomonas Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's to allow more spells to trigger frigid gift.
  6. Venaki New Member

So the dps from frigid gift proc is better than the % damage increase for all heat spells? I should try that, then!
  7. Daray Well-Known Member

Assuming you (and the guy above you) are talking about heat mastery, that is just an additive 5 potency and 5 crit bonus to heat-based (profession spells). In other words, rather negligible given current buffed in-combat attribute values. That's the problem with the majority of these (older) AA trees - the scaling isn't there to maintain their relative effectiveness vs ever-inflating character (gear) growth.

Iceshape basically allows frigid gift to proc off heat and magic spells for you and the rest of your group. Given the duration of Frigid Gift vs the capped cooldown, there is little value in enhancing Surge of Ro with Fireshape. You still want to use Surge of Ro though, assuming you have enhanced it with Arcane Surge (prestige) - Iceshape won't prevent the Arcane Surge portion from procing.

As for the OP, we will see less value from these AAs than other classes, because picking up a second dragon endline is rather worthless (assuming you are typically the recipient of TC). Where to spend them really depends on where you have spent your existing AAs.
    Venaki likes this.
  8. Venaki New Member

Thank you so much for your aclaration, Daray. That's just the info I needed!! Going to change my build right now.
  9. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

I understand that, and am debating whether or not to get Arcane Fury endline. Or make 2 AA setups, one with and one without, when I get TC or UT.
  10. Plinc Active Member

10 won't be enough to pick a second endline as wizard anyway.
  11. Daray Well-Known Member

With a minimum spend in the sorcerer, wizard and shadows trees to obtain those endlines, you do have enough to then pick up 2 heroic endlines and 2 dragon endlines (90+82+46+70+62=350). Pretty sure that was the purpose of giving players the additional 10AA.

However, this is rather limited for (raiding) sorcerers, because that 2nd offensive dragon endline is a buff substitue for something we typically receive (this isn't an issue for other archetypes). That means the best option for spending these extra AAs is just somewhere in either the heroic or dragon trees, and not as a means of gaining an additional endline ability.
  12. Plinc Active Member

right, forgot that i used 10 extra in the heroic tree.