Am I the only one that thinks this?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Grandavi, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Nukyular Member

Sometimes yeah. It got bad on occasion. I remember a 3-day downtime at one point.
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Geroblue Well-Known Member

If it is a crash, those cannot be predicted.

As for testing, one place I worked ran their own software and had a test server. The computers were identical. There were still things that showed up on the computers used by the rest of the employees that didn't show up on test.
    Siren, Breanna and Soara2 like this.
  3. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I remember when the game was hacked and was down like a month. Or was it a week? I just know it was a long freaking time.
    Lateana, SynnikuL, Pixistik and 2 others like this.
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I think it was a month.
    Lateana, Finora, Pixistik and 3 others like this.
  5. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Yeah I am thinking that too.
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Breanna Well-Known Member

It was FOREVER LOL or at least it felt like it.
    Pixistik, Siren, Soara2 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Grandavi Active Member

5 hours?
    Soara2 and Siren like this.
  8. Siren Well-Known Member

FYI: Test is always up when the other servers are down! I'm on Test right now. And you get holidays 2 weeks early on Test besides. :cool: (Test only goes down for 15-30 min on Fridays, late in the day, and Test never gets wiped.)
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  9. Grandavi Active Member

I do play Test from time to time, but usually its hard to find people on it. As well, last time I went into a Test server, it screwed up my other game.. lol. So I've been a bit leery... : )
    Soara2 likes this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Test installs into its own directory hierarchy. You just have to be sure you have the right "region" set in the Launchpad.
    Finora, Siren, Soara2 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Grandavi Active Member

I had it done like that, unfortunately, it just happened to be at the time DBG was having issues with logins... and... I thought I was the problem. So... I spent a bit of time fixing "my mistake" only to find out it wasn't me... which screwed things up. (just a little)

Now I have 3 installs and with the game being loopy the past month or so, I just haven't bothered to clean it up. I have to do that still and then I will go back into the Test server (albeit... with the knowledge that I did it properly the first time).
    Soara2 and Pixistik like this.
  12. SynnikuL Active Member

Yeah it ended up being like 3 weeks or a month. I logged into EQ2Wire chat everyday to check the status. Definitely memorable. Oh and there was also that time Smed threatened lizard squad and they DDoS'd us. He messed with the bull and we got the horns. Good times.
    Soara2, Lateana and Pixistik like this.
  13. Grandavi Active Member

Okay... Scheduled Maintenance is TUESDAY!

Whats up today??? And why is the server status page broken? I think the entire Daybreak website is gone... lol

*heads out to rethink paying to play... again... *

After a lot of searching... found on the Live tracker... that its an unexpected Daybreak-wide maintenance update expected to last 6 hours. They posted yesterday. (probably attempting to make a paladin useful... not)
    Soara2 and whateverfla like this.
  14. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Try checking on news...frankly I was amazed you could even post, since I couldn't log into the forums at all. Server's down for network maintenance was announced yesterday afternoon and big red letters saying it's down for network maintenance still visible.
    Soara2 and Geroblue like this.
  15. docdante Member

Is it known how long the servers will be down ?
    ty
    Soara2 likes this.
  16. ol'stoney New Member

Pretty tired of it myself. 6.5 hours today from pathetic time 5:30 am equates to noon or 2pm here in central time ....downloading other games just in case this is to continue
    Soara2, AOE1 and whateverfla like this.
  17. Finora Well-Known Member

Since this is Daybreak wide maintenance, it really has a lot less to do with anything they've done with EQ2 specifically. Everything is down for a bit.

They generally announce things asap on various social media platforms, the in game messages, these forums (though this time they only had the tweet mirror in the side bar, not a separate post).

The notifications on social media went out yesterday I know, and there was a message this morning in game about it.

Regarding the paying to play thing...it's only 6 hours. It's not that big of a deal. Even if you are paying the highest price (buying Krono directly from Daybreak) it's only about 3 cents per hour for access to the game. Even if you cut out half available hours it's less than 6 cents per hour. Paying for MMO subscriptions really is incredibly cheap entertainment.
    Soara2 likes this.
  18. docdante Member

:)
    True, but
    addicts don't care ;)
    Soara2 and Geroblue like this.
  19. Grandavi Active Member

Generally speaking, it's not about the money. It's about logging in when you actually have time to play and finding out that it just doesn't exist. In today's world, that isn't truly acceptable anymore and really... it takes just a wee bit of IT planning to execute these types of things properly. Unless its a game altering catastrophe, most of the updates can occur in a small window if done correctly. All it takes is a bit of redundancy (that should exist anyway).

I would never offer a service without a fail-safe if it involves paying clients. They are generally not the ones you want to disappoint. It costs far far more to get a client than it does to keep one.

Now, I understand that this is a massive game platform (more or less) running on ancient scripting, however... stretch the updates... do them right. Once a week can be accepted, once a month would be better, but 3-4 times a week is a bit sad. Just seems like poor planning and execution.

Those are more my thoughts than a complain really. But it does effect my decision if I am going to actually pay for the game.
    Soara2 and whateverfla like this.
  20. Almee Well-Known Member

You are assuming that people have all 24 hours in a day to play. Some of us have other responsibilities and have limited time to play each week. And because of timed quests, it can throw things off for several days or undo a dungeon so the player has to start all over again because you lost something that can't zone, or the time limit ran out.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of all the down time. This isn't normal for a game. I played other games, while DB was sorting out the mess of BoL, when it went live, and I didn't have any of those games suddenly go down in the months I played. And in 21 years of gaming, I've never seen the excuses DB comes up with for having to take down the servers.