WHY IS THE GAME SO COMPLICATED?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Almee, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Roxxlyy Community Relations

None of these shared rumors have any basis of fact, and have been removed to prevent the spreading of false information. Please keep the thread on topic!
    Sigrdrifa, Evguenil62 and Dude like this.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

But ... but ... but ... and unnamed source on Reddit said ... oh ... yeah ... that does sound lame. Never mind. :p
  3. Revekk Member

I stopped playing on the live servers when the cap was 95. Many times I thought of coming back to Live, I've spent time on the legacy type servers. Then I saw all the posts about the Epic 2.0 and how you had to do it even when it was 1 or 2 expansions back. I like to raid, so I know I'd have to do all that to catch up, somehow. Maybe that is easier now(?), but after that I've looked at all the changes, numerous additions to the character development; gear and spells and there are so many things I don't know how they work. It's absolutely daunting even thinking about how many hundreds of hours it might take to understand even how everything works. How could I raid and give 100 percent when I don't know how all these things stack up?

I guess they've decided to try to hold on what they have and have people throw money at the cash shop and have given up on anyone coming back or, laughingly, attracting new players. I don't want simplicity, it just seems they are stacking mechanics on top of mechanics just to have something they can label as an asset for every new major update or expansion.
    Meneltel and Mizgamer62 like this.
  4. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

This topic could go over for hours.

Stats for instance...

Strength, Stamina, Intelligence, Wisdom, Agility

What is now potency is what these used to be, but instead of adding into the already existing potency they added a potency stats to add onto your main ability potency.

Crit Chance and Crit Bonus absolutely useless idea. Crit chance if left alone as a option to be played into with gear would have been fine without Crit bonus. Crit bonus is a random multiplier that was also not needed in the game.

Fervor, this was an excuse for scout balancing, then was handed out like hot cakes to make a already existing class imbalance worse

Flurry, this was a sin only stat, added as a bonus for your hard work with the original epics and myth runs, now it's everyones stats

WDB another useless stat that could have had the same effect achieved by utilizing dps mod

Dps mod, this used to only effect particular classes, and it worked well when it effected them. Then when it was mass produced, it became out of control

Multi attack, this would have a been a great idea if it wasn't treated like every other stat and allowed everyone to have it maxed out

Mitigation, great stat for plate tanks, then it was also handed out to everyone like everything else

Avoidance, great stat for off tanks, but now it's practically useless to all classes

Strike-through, no idea why this ever saw the light of day when you have sub stats like subjugation, piercing,slashing, etc..

Accuracy, yet again, a very pointless stat

Resist system

As it used to be, a player was capable of resisting the effects of npc's and players. As it stands now, you will always get hit, you can't resist anything.

I am writing off the top of my head so I am sure I missed something, but the old system was much more simplified and understandable.

That's just one issue, let alone the set backs of doing epic 2.0, having your melee class cast spells, and your spell casters hit melee buttons. Your gear is like everyone else's gear and the value means nothing anymore. Nothing unique is there but abunch of jumbled up stats.

The entire game has went from innovative thinking to recycling ideas. This goes for the game entirely. There's too much neglect. This will probably be removed by someone who has been here less than most of the people playing.
    Mizgamer62, Meneltel and Rhodris like this.
  5. Ingerimm Well-Known Member

On the topic of the thread.

Nothing is complicated at Everquest 2 at all.

Everquest 2 is still pretty complex that's right and that's a good thing.

Because that's exactly why most people still play here.

Who wants to play games without depth and effort, should look for another game, there are hundreds of games on the market that offer this and not a real challenge.

I wish that EQ2 would return to its old, much higher complexity.

That there would be more AA points, more prestige points and so on.

And the individual and class-related no things that everyone can choose the same and also does.

Just so that you have to tinker a bit and think again and not everyone has the same and immediately plays.

EQ2 has always filled a gap in the games and that's why it stays that long and does not have players after a few months or 1 to 2 years.

It would be nice if we still had our substats with a certain effect as before, or if the crafting system was as complex as it used to be with failures and different quality levels.

Alone that these things no longer exist and for years no new AA points, etc. which is probably due to the small staff of Daybreak, make the game for many less interesting.

So I think it should be more complex and profound again.

The style of the players should have an individual touch as before, just like the equipment of the chars.

Today everyone wears the same gear and that's a shame.

Therefore, I can understand such a posting still represented.

The Daybreak team does an excellent job for its size.

Unfortunately, too many critics have heard that EQ2 is too complicated, because it is by my means the complete opposite.

Keep up the daybreak team and do not be fooled, folks who want to know WOW, RIFT, AION, ESO, GW, GW2 or something like that, there are enough 5 to 10 button games where you do not have to think and just blind press buttons.

Best regards

Ingerimm
    Rosyposy, Breanna and Evguenil62 like this.
  6. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

As an example, I've been playing a game that has a limited number of ca slots, 3 attributes to enhance, a large menu of alternate advancement choices insensitive to game progression, and a huge selection of ca's that can be developed with class and weapon lines. All of these character development paths are constrained by by a finite amount of points that can be allocated.

Throw on top of that tons of unique itemization sets and resource pools that actually have to be managed, and one has a LOT of thinking to do about how to build your toon and what abilities to slot because respecing is available, but expensive.

THAT is a complex system where choices matter.

Slapping 120 ca's, ascensions, and clickies on to hot bars with only a handful of the same stats being relevant (to all classes), current gear posessing obsolete stats...thats clutter, not complexity.

Complexity is not a function if the number of buttons on a hot bar or reforging gear that posesses obsolete stats just so people can reforge them.

It is a function of clean underlying system that offers opportunities for a large number of unique build ideas where choices are meaningful.
    Rhodris, Jaeded, Tkia and 4 others like this.
  7. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Worst of all, there are a lot of "options" that wind up making you weaker. Therefore, they are never used, and the "options" become meaningless, because if you want to perform well enough to do the content, you're pretty much forced to use the same spec as everyone else at end-game. It's a cruel, foolish trap.

Now, yes, if you aren't that concerned about the Heroics and Raids and such, yeah, do as you please. But for the rest of us...
    Mermut, Rhodris and Tekka like this.
  8. Dead Alt Account Well-Known Member

All you have to do is compare your level 80 epic weapon to your level 100 to see that game mechanics have totally gone off the rails.
  9. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

If you want a more simple gameplay , come and play on Fallen Gate at the moment our level cap is 80
    and we will not get a level increase for another 8 and a half months or so.
    We don't do any fancy stuff , our adorns are the simple white ones.
    Older games tend to be more complicated , but just hang in there and you can figure it out .
    I am not a spring chicken either and it took me a wile, look at it as brain training to keep young with your wits too.
    Breanna likes this.
  10. Justaquestion111 New Member

Fallen Gate: where the experience doesn't matter and the items are just made up anyway.
  11. Dude Well-Known Member

Are there any items in a video game that aren't made up?
    Breanna and Sigrdrifa like this.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

I tried Fallen Gate last expansion to get away from the KA grind.. only to find Fallen Gate grindier then live :(
  13. Bella222 Active Member

I agree completely. Having all those extra things to do is no fun. I especially hate the ascension spells. And most of my characters have many adorns just sitting in the bank. So much thought to figure out what is best for each of them. I guess it wouldn't be too hard if you only had one or two toons, but I suspect that many of us who have played for years have many alts to dress and many houses to decorate, etc. And we all got the new 100s to get spells for and to learn to play......
    Aussie_one and Meneltel like this.
  14. Breanna Well-Known Member

I hate the ascension too I actually don't even use them. I've done the signature line on 3 different toons so far and did it without the ascension abilities. Just for fun though I do have 3 of them all maxed out at 15 on all 4 of the ascensions, it was more for something to do than anything else. As for the adornments go I just made the white ones I thought were best mainly superior because I transmute pretty much everything. And I just use the orange adornments I've gotten so far. I do just fine soloing my Pally and Swashy pretty much take everything out in 3-4 hits, my poor little Mystic though is sadly lacking in the dps department. The game is only as complicated as you want to make it. Just make or buy the mastercrafted stuff, go on the broker and check out the adornments to see what looks good to you and then make them, the Panda in SF gives you some orange adornments which to me are pretty useless since I don't really use the ascension spells.
    Almee likes this.
  15. Ghorast Active Member

There is one simple idea that would remove lot of useless clutter: if stat can easily be capped by everyone that stat has no reason to exist. Think about it if crit chance and crit bonus is capped by default why bother having crits, if cast speed, reuse etc are capped by default why bother having these stats why not just include them to spells by default. Same idea whit auto attack stats if attack speed, dps, ma etc don't matter why not remove those stats and if double cast is expected to be 100% why even have double cast. Removing those stats would not change the actual gameplay in any way all it would do is reveal that eq2 is just as shallow as any other modern mmo where there are just few truly relevant stats.
    Almee likes this.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Thing is, raid mobs can hugely debuff those apparently capped stats, so in actuality, some people need to have them overcapped, sometimes way overcapped.
  17. Tekka Well-Known Member

That is only the case because The Team has deemed it so, like the rest of the stat/skill bloat. And, like many of the current fubar systems, was slapped on rather than fix/update existing mechanics.

The obtuseness of the system doesn't excuse it.
    Meneltel, Tkia and Rhodris like this.
  18. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Remove the following; (From Live, and adapt for TLE)

• Crit Chance
    • Multi Attack
    • Flurry
    Merge the following;
    • Strikethrough/Accuracy
    • Reuse/Recovery
    • Primary Stats (Agil/Wis/Int etc.)
    • Resists
    • Spell & Ability Double Cast
    • DPS & Weapon Damage Bonus & Auto attack multiplier
    Reasoning;
    • Crits can be entirely influenced by Crit Bonus. Let it just be a random roll on Legendary/Fabled/Myth Crits.
    • MA/Flurry - Remove all the extra hits, and just put things into influencing 1 large hit (Also helps lag).
    • ST/Accuracy - Just make them 1 stat. Why the need for 2 I don't know.
    • Primary Stats - Self explanatory
    • Resists - Self Explanatory
    • SDC/ADC - 1 is pretty much capped 100% of time, 1 is pretty much redundant. Merge them into one, and raise/lower spells/CA's depending on balance impact. (Ensure both spells and combat arts double).
    • DPS/WDB/AAM - All 3 make your auto attack hit harder. Why the need for 3 differing stats. Consolidate and balance.
    This then removes 11+ stats from everyones character instantly.
    Other changes;
    • Reword AA's to either indicate Potency, Reuse or Crit bonus.
    • Make it clear AA's that reduce reuse won't make a difference at 100%
    • Remove pointless gimmicks like Planar levelling, experimentation, infusion
    • Nerf Ascensions and class balance.
    Lemilla, Aussie_one, GrunEQ and 5 others like this.
  19. Kalika Well-Known Member

I played Wow at launch for a few monthes and the game play was very superior to EQ2, as example CC was very important and it required lot of coordinnation : hunter could cc anytthing but had to bring the mob in their trap, rogue could cc humanoid, priest could cc undead, demonist could cc demon and humanoid (if using the proper pet).

For heal you had to try to enter the mana regen state which meant stopping to cast.

I remember heroic content that was almost as intense than Eq2 raid.

I left mostly because
    a) they had no mirror of reflected achievement, so my priest had to pay ton of money if he wanted to respec from shadow to holy.
    b) My hunter was question 4-10 times faster than my holy priest and twice faster than my priest respeced as shadow.

They had a problem quite similar to EQ2, key classes for raid/heroic conent -- defense warrior and holy priest -- were horrible for soloing.

It seems that shortly after i left they nerfed all the content making it much easier but i cannot comment about it.

Also the raid interface was 2000 times better....

I remember having much less skills, but i had to be more precise about when using them.
    Meneltel likes this.
  20. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I had a warlock (late Classic/early TBC, first expansion, I forget the time exactly) that couldn't afford the costs to change spec, and being on a pvp server, I stayed demonology as it was best for surviving ganking. I didn't do a lot of damage, but I had a lot of health and some mitigation. I was in a Molten Core raid, new raiding guild had opened up the week before and I and two others I knew had joined to raid. This raid was for all of us (40 man raid) to see how we would do and to see if the GL/RL would keep us. About 3 hours into it, at a break, the RL noticed that a warlock (me) was third on the healing chart. The warlock class leader and the other two warlocks (all destruction, think mage with demonic pets) had no idea how I did that. We have a drain life spell, but its an obvious green beam and I never cast it. The RL asked how I did it and I explained that pets are a handicap on raids and so I have an abiltity to sacrifice my demon for different buffs, and the one I had was a constant regen of health for 30 minutes. So I could turn my health into mana more often since my spells don't do as much damage but I wont worry the healers about my health since in a few minutes I would be healed.

He informed me, and then the raid that my warlock had just earned a spot in the raid force. And he told me never worry about my dps, he would use me as CC since I knew what the heck I was doing. First person in the raid to get a raid slot, despite my later discovered poor dps and again he told, in raid chat, to leave my toon alone, as my dps was fine by him.

My moment of glory in WoW, and I still play WoW (again) but I don't raid and I play for fun with a friend. EQ2 (and EQ) are still my favorites, despite the many problems, but... my love is slowly dying, for many reasons., Most of them are already been discussed before now.
    Rhodris, Juraiya and Rosyposy like this.