Layout Editor Lessons

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Ealdian, May 11, 2018.

1. Ealdian Well-Known Member

I know this is short notice but I can be available for Layout Editor Lessons on Skyfire on the weekend of the 19th and 20th. (Just in time for Moonlights! You can now learn how to lay those tiles down! And don't forget, GNG18 is coming soon as well!)

• I'm not going to declare a time, so that I can be as flexible as I can be. You will essentially get an appointment time for lessons. (I hate rules! But really, try to be on time.)
    • I want to do small groups at first, because the learning curve is pretty steep. So, one or two players at a time at first. We will hold the lessons at my Tenebrous Island prestige home on Skyfire server ONLY. The place is all set up for what we will be doing.
    • Anyone can make a new, free account to create a new character on Skyfire, so if you are coming from another server, please do this ahead of time. There is NO NEED to level your character in ANY way. You don't need to leave the starter zone I will publish the place then un-publish when you get there.
    • My plan is to conduct the first lesson for 1 - 1 1/2 hour lesson covering ONLY tiling. But since I know that setting up the LE is almost harder than using it, I will be around as much as possible this week to help ppls get set up.
    • We will be using voice chat because it is REALLY hard to type all that I want to say. If you don't have a microphone, consider getting this one: { iMicro-IM320-USB-Headset } It's only $10 so you don't get upset when it will (inevitably) break down and I've had mine for a few years now. It works great and it's much more fun to group for the deco raids with a mic. If you don't have a mic, you will have to type in text chat and that's ok, but I will answer you in voice chat, so you DO need to have speakers. Earbuds will work too! ;-)
    • Please watch this video BEFORE setting up your new character and arriving on Skyfire. I WILL need you to have the macros created when you come for lessons. Once you create the macros on your Skyfire server character, they will be easy to create for your other decorator type characters.
    • I will try to produce a book covering most of the details of what we do so you can have one when you get home. And yes...I can send one to you on your home server if you send me a book to copy it into.

I know a lot of folks are uneasy about using the layout editor but honestly, the only limitations you face are the ones you place in front of yourself. I am POSITIVE that with a little bit of guidance, ANYONE can learn to use the LE. And then won't we be amazed at what you create!

If you are interested, contact me here by posting to this thread (not PMing me...I am bad about looking for messages.) Please understand that if there is a lot of demand for these lessons that you may not be the first to get them. But I WILL be available for you when your time comes.
    Game on, my friends,
    Ealdian
    but you can call me Eli
    Kenana, Contessia, Karamella and 5 others like this.
  2. elflover Well-Known Member

I would love to be able to come, since i know im lacking in understanding why the editor hates me. I cnt garentee ill have mic , game isn't recognizing it but computer says it working, bt ill be able to hear. If anyone needs a book let me know i have sage that can make them.
    Kenana and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Merriel Well-Known Member

Yay, Ealdian...I'm very happy to see you offering these classes. I am sure many a decorator will thank you. I'd be a horrible instructor, and still struggle with the editor myself, though I do know how to use it. I just tend to have technical difficulties with it, lol. I still prefer manual placement of most items. :D
  4. Jelloshot Member

Yes, please! I've looked at it a few times but feel pretty overwhelmed rather quickly by it. I would love to be able to have a better basic understanding of it. Forkbeard uses it a little but he would also like to join in on a workshop group. Our schedule as of now is going to be very flexible on the 19th and 20th so it's at your convenience. Thank you for offering this!
  5. blackjack Well-Known Member

Just curious, about what time of day are you usually free for this? I'm only really available after 8 PM [EST/GMT-5] or later.
  6. Ealdian Well-Known Member

I will be available from about 2 Central to about 8 central on Saturday and Sunday. I think we can make it work for the people who have expressed interest.

• Watch that video at least as far as setting it up.

• Confirm with me here which day you want and about what time.
    • Have a character on Skyfire server.
  7. Faeonara Well-Known Member

Count me in as well if you please since i could use further instructions on using the LE instead of hit or miss actions . looking forward to it .
    Best time for me is anytime before 7 pm est , on either day .
  8. Forkbeard New Member

Jelloshot and I will be available at 2pm Central (3pm our time) on the 19th and would love to attend. We both have the editor installed and working as well as headsets.

Looking forward to it!
  9. Contessia Active Member

pre-thanks for doing this,, and i can do either day,, is there a special one for dummies? i want to do this but at same time rather timid about it,,, but ,,, lets give it a go,, when ever is good for you,,
  10. Jelloshot Member

Yay!!!! I am going to say "I told you so!" in advance :D because like I said, you are going to be amazing at this! <3
  11. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Loved the video. Will you be filming the classes as well?
  12. Contessia Active Member

Downloaded editor, set the 3 macros, leaving time slot to you. only thing I have going on is the decoraid and moonlight.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

For you folks who know more about JesDyr's than me (probably anyone who's ever used it more than once or twice [I tend to prefer Sennenn's or Notepad] ;->), maybe you know the answer to this: whatever happened to his idea for a way to recreate alphanumeric characters with books or other objects? In other words, "writing" with book edges, or Railing ends, or whatever...did he ever get it to work; did it fall through, idea-wise; what happened to that? I thought it'd be brilliant if he could get it to behave. :)

Uwk
    Contessia likes this.
  14. Contessia Active Member

Where do I find sennenns or notepad /instructions. ? ?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  15. Ealdian Well-Known Member

Hello all!

I am finally back in town after a 3 state tour of the midwest. (I got to ride a ferry across Lake Michigan!)

We are ON for today!

I will be on for today and tomorrow so that I can get everyone up to speed on the LE.

See you in game!

Eli
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

The Notepad Method is what I used for like forever before discovering/finally giving in to the Layout Editor side of the Force (which, I must admit, is infinitely easier than having to painfully juggle a bunch of separate lines yourself to see all the same whatever in one spot in your layout file; Notepad is extremely no-frills), and Sennen's should be on the stickied list, The Decorator's Resource. I will say that JesDyr's Editor has everything you could possibly want, though since I don't use With, Without, or Working, I do like Sennen's in that you can have it up and running while you're making changes in your house. Then when you save the layout and come back to the editor, it will politely tell you that the layout file has changed, and would you like to update it? You say yes, and you're both happy. BUT! Sennen's still doesn't do more than a bit of things that JesDyr's does: the main thing that aggravates me about Sennen's is there's no way to move the items directly anything other than just straight North/South/East/West; no fancy NE/SW/NW/SE type of stuff, and no lovely Copy/Paste Location Information for an entire item line at a time. :(

And no "Do what I want." button... ;->

Uwk
    Contessia likes this.
  17. JesDyr Well-Known Member

Tools -> Text Creator ..Works. I even used it for the hidden cookie factory in my dragon shrine

[IMG]

I only ever made 4 "Fonts" and the tool i made to create the font files was kinda hard to use. I think Jazabelle made an attempt once but not sure what came out of it.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

WOOT! Okay, that I didn't know! :D

Yet another reason to use the JesDyr Layout Editor(TM)! :)

Uwk