Ethereal 2020...tell me I am missing something!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Elorastar, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Elorastar Member

The first item available will be the cloak. The cost is 100 coins. To raise it to level 5 will take another 810 coins if my math is correct. That totals 910 coins. So we get 18 coins for doing the weekly quest in expert. Assuming that will be doubled to 36 for members, it will still take over 25 weeks to have the cloak to top level. Can this be right...25 weeks?!? I know this isn’t taking into account any double or triple coin events but still!?! Am I missing something here? Will we still be able to get less event coins by doing other weeklies such as solo or overland weeklies and the expert weekly will only be giving us the maximum bonus coins? Or will one weekly be it and depending how we complete it, we will receive anywhere from 12 to 18 coins (doubled for members) Someone please tell me that I am missing something here! Thanks
  2. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Slightly out yeah. There are 3 weeklies, 18 x 3, plus the ethereal quest another 12, so that's 66 per week. If they're doubled for members, that's 132 per week. That's not including where server maintenance on the Tuesday causes the weeklies to reset. I don't think we have that much to worry about.
    Elorastar likes this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

Actually if you read the patch notes, it says the weekly [Heroic] OR weekly [Event Heroic].
    So solo and 1 of the heroic weeklies, at least as the patch notes are worked currently.
    Elorastar and Cyrrena like this.
  4. Observing Active Member

Well it looks like they tried to make it clear in the patch notes but it turned out as clear as mud.
    Elorastar likes this.
  5. Arclite Well-Known Member

So you are looking at a 5 month grind (give or take)? I am assuming they will add other items along the way which would also require upgrading.

Either the update notes is worded poorly or this time around they want people to focus on just one item and be busy with it and forget about the Rune debacle or want to keep one best in slot item until the next expansion. Ether way the logic alludes me.
    Elorastar likes this.
  6. Jrox Well-Known Member

Awesome, all that time to lvl a cloak that they will most likely deem unfit to have in 2 expansions and take it away. Because the one they just took away, took a team to go in and farm. Lots of grinding went into class cloaks only for them to pull their abilities because someone cried it was unfair.

Are we seeing a pattern here?
    Crock, Elorastar, Tkia and 2 others like this.
  7. dorotea Well-Known Member

For someone that does almost nothing but solo the available weeklies are (1) solo dungeons; (2) landscape Blinding names; (3) landscape Coast names; and (4) landscape Wrackland names. If one is willing to join a group or raid for 10 minutes or less add Big Baddies as a fifth.

I don't know if all of these will give coins. On some servers and at some times of day it can be hellishly difficult to do most of these even given a week to complete them. But just soloing on a fairly uncrowded server I could usually knock off 4 weeklies per week with no pain.
    Elorastar likes this.
  8. Bains New Member

• No ability mod or wdb overcap on wrist-ear-finger.
    • No flurry on waist and cloak.
    The sad part is that I am not surprised.
    You dont wanna do them anyway for that ridicilous reward, that will save you some time...
    Kheldar likes this.
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

From the wording it is ONE reward for any (1) solo weekly and ONE reward for any (1) heroic weekly.
    I've seen a post suggesting that it is, in fact, only giving ONE, period.. solo OR heroic, but one report is not evidence, so can't say for sure.
    Elorastar, Kheldar and Breanna like this.
  10. Xasuliz New Member

This right here. Those items on that merchant are terrible. Stats are absolutely trash. 20 more resolve and like 500 more pot is not worth losing 50 flurry, or 800 DPS mod. The Torment gem is the only thing of value, the rest would be salvaged for infuser fragments if they dropped in a heroic.
    Observing and Kheldar like this.
  11. Arclite Well-Known Member

So that appears to be the case. I did all heroic weeklies last night and got 96 coins. Then did all solo zone weeklies and got nothing. This is going to be a long grind.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

I did the event heroic weekly and the heroic weekly and got coins from both. I also got coins from one of the solo weeklies. I've heard that you can get a third set of heroic weekly coins from the heroic overland weekly
    Elorastar and Breanna like this.
  13. Shimizu New Member

Probably a dumb question but...
    Where do you actually spend these coins? I got the weekly when I picked up my normally weekly and it gave me peculiar whatsits, but I haven't found an NPC that wants them yet. From the sounds of it, I'll need far more than these than I'm likely to get to actually buy anything (bit disappointing), but it would still be nice to see.

Re: the coins and acquisition thereof - I get that its an MMO, and you're supposed to play with other people, bla bla bla, but as a more casual player who has only just come back to the game and is a 'reasonably fresh' level 120, I don't want to inflict my crappiness on a group as yet. (Or possibly, they wont want me...). And it makes sense that people who do group things should get them faster. But based on what I'm reading here, it sounds like if I can't do heroics, I shouldn't bother at all?
  14. Raff Well-Known Member

The Ethereal vendor this year is in the Wracklands. Towards the back of the map in the Tegi area up by the waterfall. Think the Zel Kriaz merc is up there too...

Groups will be easier to find if you join a guild. And most guilds (not all...you'll need to shop, lol) are usually more willing to overlook gear discrepancies of new and returning players and help them along.
    Breanna likes this.
  15. Occam Well-Known Member

Jrox, I don't know how long you've been playing, but the game has worked this way for literally 20 years. From the time of the first expansion in EQ1 (The Ruins of Kunark) in 2000, we've been expected to replace gear from the old expansion with better gear from the most recent. EQ2 continued this model from launch, so yes there is definitely an intentional pattern and at this point it shouldn't be a surprise.

Plus, the cloak you're talking about is 4 expansions old! The fact that you feel an item that old is so important is a clear indication that something wasn't working as intended. Time to let it go.
    Raff, Breanna and Elorastar like this.
  16. Arclite Well-Known Member

oh? I did both heroic events and non events and got 96 coins but nothing for all solo weeklies.
    Elorastar likes this.
  17. Arclite Well-Known Member

@Dreamweaver please pass the following on to Bunji or whoever types up the notes for updates. Please clarify on how ethereal coins are to be obtained more clearly. I am afraid the level of writing is a lot to be desired and this is not one of those things that the community needs to solve as a fun mystery.

Thanks
    Argosunited, Observing and Elorastar like this.
  18. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

It's simple. Heroic weeklies (all of them) give coins depending on the level of the dungeons you defeated. You also get coins for big baddies.
    And you also get coins for doing ANY weekly, once per week, from the Ethereals Ahoy quest. If all you do is solo, I believe these are the only coins you'll get.
    All coins are doubled for members.

So (as a member) if you do all your instances at expert level you get 36 x 3, plus 24 for Ethereals Ahoy. Big baddies is what it is, so counts as a standard heroic (24), so 36 x 3 plus 24 plus 24.

So that's 156 coins per round of weeklies. And amazingly... it all seems to be working!
    Elorastar likes this.
  19. Hechada New Member

Which is fine if you can do the Experts, which are currently horrible. They should confirm that you can get all items doing normal heroics and that if you do experts it means you get them faster - not that you're forcing people to do zones which have been ignored all expac.....
  20. Elorastar Member

I am a bit less confused now but it would still be nice to have it spelled out the way Arclite described above. It seems you will only get coins for a solo weekly (any kind) if it is the first one you do but what you are actually getting is the 24 for the Ahoy quest. Earlier today, I was waiting to do Big Baddies in AC but I was also 4/5 for AC nameds. The first of the 3 Big Baddies finished my solo AC by taking it to 5/5. The Ahoy quest disappeared and I got 24 coins.. After 2 more when the Big Baddie quest finished I got 24 more because it was a heroic weekly. Last night I got 60 for finishing EH weekly in expert. From there I did Big Baddies and got 24. So as I see it, if all you do is solo, the most you will get is 48 coins/week, either just the Big Baddie for 48 (24 for quest and 24 for heroic Baddies) or one solo (24 for quest) and then 24 for Big Baddies.Thanks for everyone's input.