Rangers and Assassins-haven't played either in years

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by kingmob23, Jul 13, 2019.

1. kingmob23 Well-Known Member

Last time I played a ranger or assassin was pvp server era and prior to that. Just have some basic questions about them.
    I play on a Live server, so how do both classes hold up at end game?
    Are they desirable in groups or do they get passed over if other options are available? And which of the two is more desirable over the other. This isn't a "play whatever class you like best" question, as I liked both in the past. This is a "What's going to get me further in the game" question.
    DPS wise are they still about equal?

Something about assassins that made me prefer rangers a bit more was how many positional/invis positional CA's they had. That's awesome in pvp, but when you're soloing to level up half your abilities become fairly useless.
    I know there's an AA that briefly removes the restrictions on invis CA's. With fighter classes there's an AA line that removes penalties for offense/defense stances. Have assassins (or rangers) had a similar positional restriction removal AA put in?

DPS If I recall correctly the ranger was more survivable due to ranged abilities and being able to kite, but lacked a lot in DPS. Assassin had high burst damage but if you didn't get the job done quick you could be in trouble.
    Overall though which one is on top in that regard?

Any other random significant changes between then and now I should be aware of?
  2. Dilon Active Member

Assassins are the DPS kings in the current expansion. Both can solo just fine. Both will get invited to groups and raids. But if you are wanting to see your parse as high as possible, roll an assassin.
    kingmob23 likes this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

Last expac rangers were king, this expac assassins are king. Next expac is anyone's guess.
    Hiza, Breanna and kingmob23 like this.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Probably templars..
    Zeddicious and kingmob23 like this.
  5. kingmob23 Well-Known Member

Ah so the random lottery of nerf and boost to classes is still an expansion feature haha

"In the new expansion will it be YOUR class that gets nerfed? Or will you get boosted! Give us 50 bucks and roll the dice!"

Not too terribly concerned about being at the top of the parse. I think mainly I just wanted to know if both classes were valuable for groups, and survivable solo. Thanks much all!
  6. Melt Actually plays the game

Unswerving hammer is made permanent, new meta is stacking dpsmod
    kingmob23 likes this.
  7. kingmob23 Well-Known Member

Also realized I have 80 billion loyalty tokens so I can betray every 20 levels or so and check on how they progress over time. Finally something to do with those things.
  8. Vlkodlak Well-Known Member

Prob Wardens ;p
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

Healing-wise, wardens are near the top of the heap this expac ;)
    Hiza likes this.
  10. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Rangers are still > assasin's because of how damage incoming multipliers work. But math is hard.

Brig > Ranger > Assassin.