Is Open-World PvP going to come back in any form?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Inmyprime, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronjah Active Member

Well, they could enhance the duel mode and allow more players to participate, kind of semi open world pvp.
  2. Atan Well-Known Member

Duel does not really invoke the pvp ruleset, so it isn't really the same thing.

But, this horse is long dead and we need to leave the thing alone.
  3. Ronjah Active Member

nope, isnt, it will never be the same thing and I know that this community isn't very open minded and willing to invest in new features, ideas and bug fixes coming from players or former players, so eventually I dont mind at all.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

It is probably the Haggis, that stuff is just nasty, no offense to the Scots among us.

Cyrrena
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

DAOC was never going to have any element of respect, that was evident before it even launched. And you cannot assume I was talking about EQ2 when stating there was an element of respect. There are other game worlds where PvP did indeed have "gentleman" types, where it wasn't how many little bullies you could get together to gank someone 20-70 levels lower than them. Do some research, I am tired of the whole discussion so I am not going into further details.

Cyrrena

PS the answer to the OP is still NO, review the AMA logs.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. ChurchThug New Member

It's interesting how members can tell other paying members tostop talking about features of a game they pay for or wish to see implemented. Getting upset or pissed off because people discuss PvP is just as childish and corny as max level players griefing. We can have civil dialogue about this ladies and gents.

If the Developers don't have the resources, have you considered asking them what resources they need? or what is necessary to maintain a functioning PvP server or PvP zone on an already existing time-expansion server? I don't know, I just don't feel it's as far-fetched as most of you all make it seem to be. Granted, the Devs may have said what they said during the AMA, however minds can change and be influenced. Negative commentary on the PvP system of course contributed significantly to the demise of PvP. However, the ill-behavior of PvPers themselves had an even more destructive hand probably. I myself started out on Nagafen in 2008. Not gonna lie, I found it difficult to get into 'PvP shape' if you will. I even found the bar being extended further and further, with the introduction of PvP gear and the like. Different choices could have been made at the top I guess? Regardless the fun was unparalelled, and playing on FG is really awesome, but I get the feeling something is missing...

It doesn't need to be 'Open World PvP' but at least a zone, or something similar would suffice for now? Perhaps even PvP only possible during certain hours of the game?

I think their minds can be changed if presented with decent ideas and at least a willing audience (that means us). I understand and hear your concerns fellow EQ2 members, however your opinions do not reflect the entire player base. You are not the end all be all. You know very well a quarter, or even more of our servers' populations don't have a forum account to voice their opinion. If PvP is to be seriously reconsidered though, your input is priceless and required for it even to manifest. In regards to "balance and fairness"I think it would have to be slightly in favor of PvEers, like a "safe PvP" so to say.

Love y'all :*
    Sixgauge likes this.
  7. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I'm a bit lazy to check it myself, but does Everquest 2 position itself as Open-World PvP?
    Feldon likes this.
  8. ChurchThug New Member

It doesn't have to for there to be. Especially if precedence has been set. Open world PvP may be asking for a lot. Something smaller for starters could suffice.
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

Because it's a zero sum game. Resources are dwindling and the majority of players don't want DBG to waste any more resources on the repeatedly failed venture of PvP. If you want PvP, go play a game that has PvP. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.
  10. Dolgrin Active Member

NO!!!!

NO!!!!

NO!!!!

NO!!!!

NO!!!!

NEVER AGAIN !!!

The infamous Update 13 prepearing for PVP-Balacing destroyed uniqueness of all classes.
    Lagerale and Dude like this.
  11. Satyr Well-Known Member

Google is your friend.

I hope these threads keep getting made. It's fun watching people who consistently lie, misunderstand and misrepresent PVP foam at the mouth every time that it's mentioned.

For the benefit of people who aren't really aware of the history, Deathtoll died because of borked raidng in KOS and because DBG broke ranged weapons on the server and refused to fix them. Taking 4 months to fix dispatch didn't help either. The server had the same population spikes as Stormhold but they hurt twice as much on Deathtoll because the population was segregated in to two factions.

No, it wasn't an issue of class balancing; people wanted one ability on one class fixed, because it was broken. No, it wasn't an issue relating to PVP gear as some random 'Deathtoll veteran' said, because there was no PVP gear. No, it wasn't the "toxic players" - grouping on that server was consistently better and more rewarding than on SH.

It was just poor design choices during TLE that killed DT, and because of population segregation it was harder to group and died faster than SH.
    Sixgauge likes this.
  12. Dolgrin Active Member

The fact is most changes made for PVP had negative effects for PVE.
    And the stuff they changed for balancing PVP-Battleground were even more worse for PVE.

Got it?
    EQ2 was designed for PVE.
    Unbalanced Classes, unique Features.
    PVP changes all killed this.

Dude likes this.
  13. Feldon Well-Known Member

It was an addition after the game launched. It has since been removed. I don't know that it's ever been marketed as a feature that customers should expect. It would require a full time developer just to manage it, which is not going to happen.
    Evguenil62 likes this.
  14. ChurchThug New Member

Because you're part of the executive board of DBG that's making decisions right? ;) Have a seat spectator.

Dude. bro, man, so none of that stuff can be *fixed*? or edited to make PvPing balanced in favor of PvE?
    You naysayers are quite comical. "Don't ruin it for the rest of us" ssshhh we're still paying for the game thus assisting DayBreak in keeping OUR servers running. We can talk about this all we want.

I personally think they need ideas and input from the community. If they're gonna bring PvP back, it will be because we want it and asked for it.
  15. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

For starters, they should just keep it simple. Release the original battlegrounds on TLE.
    Sixgauge likes this.
  16. Atan Well-Known Member

Every effort for PVP in this game has been a failure, in a time of dwindling resources it simply is not feasible for them to try again, nor does it remotely make financial sense.

Dead horse, let it be.
    Feldon likes this.
  17. Silat New Member

Update 13 came in a full expansion before pvp and were not because of pvp. That was the game designers rebalancing the game as they did many times without considering the ramifications.

Having said that. EQ2 will never have pvp again, they cannot support and never had a real desire to.

PVP was massive and very good in EQ2 for years. It died because of the way expansions kept diluting the population instead of keeping it concentrated. It also died because flying mounts and the perma immunity was everywhere at that point.

As for all Pvp'ers being tools. For at least a little bit several of the custom UI's were being maintained by PvP'ers. I'd say they were positively contributing to the game, wouldn't you?

Silat
  18. ChurchThug New Member

This could be a thing. Though BG's were never as fun as surprisingly running up on a fellow solo quester and squaring off. However, you must crawl to eventually walk.

Would it be weird if the community provided resources? It wouldn't be unheard of, but I think it's possible. I wonder if they are 'above' asking their player base to fund their endeavors.

I think the all PvPers being tools is a tongue-in-cheek statement. It's like PvPers saying PvEers are boring or skill-less. Simply conjecture. Where there is a will there is a way. Is it not possible to dialogue with them at least? To ask them what would need to happen in order for x,y,z to manifest.
  19. Venser Active Member

pvp was an afterthought
  20. Ummmyeh Active Member

EQ2 PVP in a nutshell: Scout runs in and attacks--he either kills you or sees that he can't and then flees. Runs long enough to break combat and evac then spends 15-30 minutes zone hugging until evac is back up. OR group of 6 swoops in and ganks the lowly quester. Sounds like good times lets make this happen! Oh wait, it did already happen? Twice? Failed both times? Oh.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.